Main Dealer Warranty Query

Sharkman

RMS Regular
Drives
Stick
I left my car into main dealer where it was purchased from with extended warranty when it developed an intermittent steering fault. The dealer could not find the fault so said to me to continue driving until it manifested into something where a code could be read. Fast forward 18 months and that has now happened my power steering module has packed in. The dealer has quoted £1800 to repair.

I asked why should I have to pay when it was reported during warranty they responded by saying it is out of warranty over 12 months. A few back and forths were exchanged and now the dealer is going to contact head office to see what they can do.

Should I stand my ground and insist that it a warranty issue or suck it up? Has anyone else ever been in a similar situation?

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
If they had of reported the technical fault to the manufacture when it was happening then there would be a paper trail. But they may have it in writing on an old job card you have a 50,50 chance. Best case is normally dealer pays for part you pay for labour. If they dont come to a satisfactory arrangement call/email the manufacturer directly. Honda were pretty good for this stuff.

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Difficult one - the warranty will cover the failure of a part, at the time you reported it no part had actually failed or broken down.
Your now a year out of warranty, covering X amount of miles so it will be seen as fit for purpose during the warranty period - although a fault was reported, the dealers trained technicians couldn't identify and you happily accepted the vehicle back.

As above, best case you are looking at is the dealer/manufacturer pays for the part and you'll be left with the labour bill to pay.