Mallon considers 2 yearly MOT's in NI

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
1629891238228.png

This will not be good. Fine for those who maintain their vehicle regularly, like most on this site, but those cars that have running repairs done for MOT, can you imagine what they would be like!
Just the recent increase on the PSNI FB pages of defective tyres detected alone is scary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip

This will not be good. Fine for those who maintain their vehicle regularly, like most on this site, but those cars that have running repairs done for MOT, can you imagine what they would be like!
Just the recent increase on the PSNI FB pages of defective tyres detected alone is scary.
More subtle changes to make mainland and Ni differ.....

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Is that not what we have had essentially with the covid crisis? I haven't heard of a rapid rise in deaths / crashes due to defective vehicles.

Perhaps this is what has highlighted it to Nichola. Although it's not like the govt to miss out on screwing us out of £36 every year. Perhaps the 2 yearly fee will be £72?!

DJMCA

RMS Regular

Agreed, Pros and Cons for it. For me its not an issue as i maintain my car well beyond MOT requirements however its the joe public that have no clue or worse still dont care what state their car is in

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
I read the title and thought two Mots a year and was like that'll be a pain in the hole.

Twice yearly would no doubt allow people the comfort zone to ignore their cars that much longer, plenty of things that need done yearly that would otherwise go unnoticed if not for the 12 month ticket

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Is that not what we have had essentially with the covid crisis? I haven't heard of a rapid rise in deaths / crashes due to defective vehicles.

Perhaps this is what has highlighted it to Nichola. Although it's not like the govt to miss out on screwing us out of £36 every year. Perhaps the 2 yearly fee will be £72?!
I’ve seen an increased number of badly maintained cars through mechanic, when at the bodywork end when at tyres ever since the lifts/COVID crisis.

this isn’t a good idea, there’s too many people that only care about their car passing an mot and then don’t give a **** till the next one.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
All for it. Other people's conditions of their car's won't affect me, I'll still maintain ours cars as usual.

Marc C

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 325i Touring
Not sure to be honest. Personally speaking it would be useful not having to revert back to 'MOT spec' every year, but definitely see the issue with people ignoring maintenance and repairs for 2 years. Will be interesting either way.

Marc C

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 325i Touring
Why not let garages do it like mainland do?

I wouldn’t favour this as I think the scamming chances are high but it would save a ton of money.

These are my thoughts as well tbh. I think privatising MOT's here like in the mainland would be extremely useful, for those of us with a reliable mechanic. As you say there's a lot of room for abuse ie "you need x, y and z at £600 before it passes" when it reality it might be ok. Then there's the other extreme of how reliable is an MOT if it's performed by someone's mate?

Suppose it works in the Mainland so there must be something in it

DJMCA

RMS Regular
All for it. Other people's conditions of their car's won't affect me, I'll still maintain ours cars as usual.
It will if they crash in to you driving a shed on wheels and write your car off or hurt you or you family.
These are my thoughts as well tbh. I think privatising MOT's here like in the mainland would be extremely useful, for those of us with a reliable mechanic. As you say there's a lot of room for abuse ie "you need x, y and z at £600 before it passes" when it reality it might be ok. Then there's the other extreme of how reliable is an MOT if it's performed by someone's mate?

Suppose it works in the Mainland so there must be something in it
Id say the Govt stand to loose too much £££ if its privatised

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Vigilance on inspecting a used car will need to be upped.

1 month MOT left will sail through.....................

Although with covid MOT extensions this has already been in practice I suppose

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Mainland is a ballix tbh, I've lived and worked over there for 15 odd years and the amount of piss taking is unbelievable. Either you know someone and it barely gets looked at or you don't and they want to charge you a fortune for 'stuff that needs done'. My personal favourite was a garage in Birmingham wanting to put new front arms and TRE's on my daughters car when they had been changed a few months prior to that. I had been going on at her to get it aligned as I hadn't had time and when she got in, they told her there was £500 of repairs needed to parts that I'd replaced recently...

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Mainland is a ballix tbh, I've lived and worked over there for 15 odd years and the amount of piss taking is unbelievable. Either you know someone and it barely gets looked at or you don't and they want to charge you a fortune for 'stuff that needs done'. My personal favourite was a garage in Birmingham wanting to put new front arms and TRE's on my daughters car when they had been changed a few months prior to that. I had been going on at her to get it aligned as I hadn't had time and when she got in, they told her there was £500 of repairs needed to parts that I'd replaced recently...
Never had an issue on mainland to be fair. Don’t need to sit refreshing a website to get one. Also if the garage says it’s failed mot you don’t have to have it fixed at that garage. £25 mots here as well.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
It will if they crash in to you driving a shed on wheels and write your car off or hurt you or you family.

Id say the Govt stand to loose too much £££ if its privatised

Statistics show that that is an extremely unlikely event to occur. Only 1% of car collisions in NI are due to vehicle defects. Almost all crashes are caused by driver error.