Mallon considers 2 yearly MOT's in NI

RevT

RMS Regular
If I’ve failed my MOT and there’s still a week left on the old one, it’s still MOTd. Unless it was something dangerous. But don’t take my word for it.

You can take it away, but technically you have no MOT. It should only be used again to drive to a garage to be repaired or to the test centre for a retest.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
You can take it away, but technically you have no MOT. It should only be used again to drive to a garage to be repaired or to the test centre for a retest.

No, you still have a valid MOT.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
What did you say his number was again? Have a few cars needing tested 😛

Was chatting about this topic in work last night. Apparently £80 will get you an MOT cert without seeing the car over here if you speak to the right chaps in the right MOT centre🤷‍♂️.

I'm past all that now, the reason I did when I was in England was because my car was running full anti lag, no CAT etc. Emissons would have blown the machine up🤣. They used to give us a cert for our rally car too as it was straight piped, anti lag etc.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
No, you still have a valid MOT.

Once a car has failed an MOT, it no longer has a valid certificate and shouldn't be on the road.

See the NI direct website:

Screenshot_2021-08-26-08-17-50-53_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

And yes, it sucks for something minor/ easily resolved

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Once a car has failed an MOT, it no longer has a valid certificate and shouldn't be on the road.

See the NI direct website:

View attachment 333430
And yes, it sucks for something minor/ easily resolved

Wrong. Being road worthy and having a valid MOT are two separate things. Failing a test doesn’t invalidate the existing MOT, it just confirms the car as not being roadworthy. Get it fixed and it’s road legal and you can drive away at it until it’s MOT runs out because at the end of the day, it’s still MOTd.

Same would go for a brake light blowing or anything else in between MOTs whether or not it was picked up as part of the test.

The only time I’ve ever heard of a MOT certificate being revoked was at those roadside ones where they pick up on old clapped out felt spec stuff.

96B85538-7908-4637-8976-D777C340628C.png
7BF9CB88-7777-4674-B47B-5EA1E20E982A.png

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I think it takes a week or so for the system to catch up but the fail will get registered IIRC.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Frig me! If that's the case, then they mustn't see it as that big an issue if their system isn't set up to register fails. I was sure it did but TIL something new.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It registers the fail but it doesn’t invalidate a current MOT. As I said the only time I’ve ever heard that happen is one of those road side checks or if they won’t let it leave the centre if it’s a death trap.

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
Drives
Old VWs
I already picture the casual car owner being like "but I got it serviced with new oil n all that time I got the MOT done so I don't know how I've cooked my engine" about 20 months and 25k miles after the MOT they speak of..

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
The mechanics that own the garage around the corner from me said it was a nightmare even before Covid when the MOTs weren't on because of the lifts fiasco.

They said the majority of car owners will only get essential maintenance done is when they are forced to, IE MOT time.

I am sure a lot of the tyre places will agree with the amount of customers that come in and get some ding-a-lings fitted because its the MOT next week.

And I definitely see more ropey looking cars in ROI than here (all their front fogs work perfectly though), I never realised the NCT was every other year though tbh.

I like our MOT system, and wouldn't place the same trust on a mainland MOT.

In saying that, my sisters Alfa passed with no issues not long ago and I fixed 2 items that should have definitely been a fail that they missed. A completely wrecked front top mount, and a rear trailing arm with a rust hole I could fit my fist into!

And for those who are saying about how few RTC are caused by mechanical failure. Would that have anything to do with the stringent annual testing currently in place?

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
And for those who are saying about how few RTC are caused by mechanical failure. Would that have anything to do with the stringent annual testing currently in place?
That stringent annual testing that has been extended and extended the past few years?

My car finally is getting a test this weekend as the extensions have run out. Last time it was in a test centre was September 2019.

As an unrelated side note. 'mot spec' annoys the **** out of me. If you are aware other wheels etc are taking the piss to the extent that they will give bother at mot time, probably shouldn't use them! I don't necessarily include lifting the car up in that as the drop into the rollers etc can cause damage to front bumpers etc.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
There's still a huge backlog from Covid and ramp problems and all that. This would just be an easy way to deal with that. And to save some money while at it.

That, plus align with RoI which is inevitable anyway following Brexit.

Wrong. Being road worthy and having a valid MOT are two separate things. Failing a test doesn’t invalidate the existing MOT, it just confirms the car as not being roadworthy.
That may be true but really just a technicality.

The legal requirement for driving on public roads is for the vehicle to be road worthy.

There are many ways it can be deemed not road worthy. Failing an MoT is one of them, regardless if it has passed at some point in the past.

Not road worthy = illegal to drive, invalidated insurance, etc.

Continue to drive at your peril.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
It can be said all day long, other cars being maintained doesn't effect you...until you go to buy a 2nd hand car. Prices will ultimately rise if going through dealers as they'll have to put more into fixing it. Or if it goes to trade it'll be threw together in some cases and sent on. Can't see a pro to it myself.

eamon343

RMS Regular
As an unrelated side note. 'mot spec' annoys the **** out of me. If you are aware other wheels etc are taking the piss to the extent that they will give bother at mot time, probably shouldn't use them! I don't necessarily include lifting the car up in that as the drop into the rollers etc can cause damage to front bumpers etc.

That annoys me too! Swapping lights etc for MOT

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
There's still a huge backlog from Covid and ramp problems and all that. This would just be an easy way to deal with that. And to save some money while at it.

That, plus align with RoI which is inevitable anyway following Brexit.

That may be true but really just a technicality.

The legal requirement for driving on public roads is for the vehicle to be road worthy.

There are many ways it can be deemed not road worthy. Failing an MoT is one of them, regardless if it has passed at some point in the past.

Not road worthy = illegal to drive, invalidated insurance, etc.

Continue to drive at your peril.

Which is the same as having a bulb out or bald tyre any time whether or a MOT man has told you or not.

The point made was ‘technically’ speaking the existing MOT is invalid. That’s wrong and has been proven so multiple times now. It’s still MOTd and no one is invalidating any MOTs. That’s entirely separate from road worthiness which should be applied all year round.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S

It would seem not. We haven't had stringent annual testing in place since January 2020, and yet the collision data from 2020 indicates that there has been a reduction in mechanical failure being a cause in road incidents.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
True, but I think that's because the level of driving has dipped from sh1te to abysmal. It's deffo worse in the last couple of years, nobody appears to give a frig any more.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
It would seem not. We haven't had stringent annual testing in place since January 2020, and yet the collision data from 2020 indicates that there has been a reduction in mechanical failure being a cause in road incidents.
That is a disingenuous argument, peoples mileage was also massively reduced in the same time period.

People on furlough, working from home, no school run rush hours. Really you think that can be a valid argument?

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
So, one test a year, with a result that is literally only of any relevance the second it is printed has prevented loads of crashes due to reducing the likelihood mechanical failure? That doesn't even cover the people who only do the bare minimum to get the car through the test as they are inevitably going to leave that as late as possible before the test. Regardless of frequency of testing, those people are going to do exactly the same thing.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
That is a disingenuous argument, peoples mileage was also massively reduced in the same time period.

People on furlough, working from home, no school run rush hours. Really you think that can be a valid argument?
I do. Read my comment again. My argument isn't that there have been less collisions in 2020 (which there probably was). I'm saying of all of the collisions that have happened, fewer have been the cars fault. That's nothing to do with the number of collisions.

I

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
So, one test a year, with a result that is literally only of any relevance the second it is printed has prevented loads of crashes due to reducing the likelihood mechanical failure? That doesn't even cover the people who only do the bare minimum to get the car through the test as they are inevitably going to leave that as late as possible before the test. Regardless of frequency of testing, those people are going to do exactly the same thing.
You have to appreciate that the like's of us on this forum are a small minority.

The vast majority of the general public don't care about the maintenance of their cars, its an annoying expense to be avoided when possible.

As I said, the mechanic I am friendly with say that their work load went down a lot when the MOTs stopped BEFORE covid due to the lift issues.

Many many people do not maintain their cars unless forced to.

And yes, of course the test is only annual, but I can't see that as a good argument for making it only every 2 years. Why not 5 years, or 10, if that is the arguement.
I do. Read my comment again. My argument isn't that there have been less collisions in 2020 (which there probably was). I'm saying of all of the collisions that have happened, fewer have been the cars fault. That's nothing to do with the number of collisions.

I don't need to read it again......my logic is sound.

Cars doing much less miles incur less mechanical wear and tear...........ergo, less chance of mechanical failure...........

Do your tyres or balljoints wear sitting on the driveway?

Make sense?

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Being a 'car' person, I always take a few minutes at any RTA I attend before we leave the scene to have a poke about the vehicles involved for my own learning.
I look at the structure of the vehicle, powertrain etc etc so in future I can be more efficient cutting someone out or immobilising the vehicle.

The number of bald tyres and cars with mechanical defects would astound you. Cops are straight on it taking pictures of defects at the scene.