Mallon considers 2 yearly MOT's in NI

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
How long does a standard street light bulb last? And then how much does it cost to purchase/replace them?

In comparison to one led unit lasting 25yrs?
High Pressure Sodium Lamps have a lifespan of up to 24,000 hours.

LED should* be around 100,000 hours

I wish they would have them save money by having them dim or turn off on sensors

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Do your tyres or balljoints wear sitting on the driveway?
Yes, certainly can do. Any rubber item can perish from just sitting around.
You have to appreciate that the like's of us on this forum are a small minority.

The vast majority of the general public don't care about the maintenance of their cars, its an annoying expense to be avoided when possible.

As I said, the mechanic I am friendly with say that their work load went down a lot when the MOTs stopped BEFORE covid due to the lift issues.

Many many people do not maintain their cars unless forced to.

And yes, of course the test is only annual, but I can't see that as a good argument for making it only every 2 years. Why not 5 years, or 10, if that is the arguement.
I appreciate your points, but I don't see the yearly test achieving much to prevent mechanical causes of accidents as is.

I just wish it cured the amount of ****y metro font plates and ridiculously bright badly set lights on the road to be honest!

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
I don't see it as an issue too much? Even £1.49 jomland coilover have "TUV approval".
Also think they have to be E marked. Again just means they have conformity.
Not sure Bosch adjustables have though.

Last edited:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I don't see it as an issue too much? Even £1.49 jomland coilover have "TUV approval".
Not sure Bosch adjustables have though
Anything that doesn't pay for TUV approval doesn't have it.

For example my Airlift suspension - not TUV approved.

It's a complete and utter money racket. I have seen German police style shows where the cretinous police officers are making calls on things because a car has red springs 'and they aren't red as standard', papers please type of nonsense.

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Anything that doesn't pay for TUV approval doesn't have it.

For example my Airlift suspension - not TUV approved.

It's a complete and utter money racket. I have seen German police style shows where the cretinous police officers are making calls on things because a car has red springs 'and they aren't red as standard', papers please type of nonsense.
What percentage general population of road cars are on aftermarket airbags or non approved springs?
Money racket? Are you new to motoring 😂
I would imagine, like most things common sense is applied.
In Germany, not all inspectors need papers. E marked suspension on a well maintained car wouldnt be an issue.
Of they ban Replica wheels softer than a toddlers nappy it would be a bad thing.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
The angle I am coming from is, people from here are largely idiotic ballbegs, and we have to cater to the lowest common denominator for things to work as they should.

The mere fact that such emphasis is put on that a car has a full years MOT, to the general public (cars are purely transport, or to make next door jealous) they read that as "This car will need absolutely no maintenance for 12 months"

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Do your tyres or balljoints wear sitting on the driveway?

Make sense?
No, but tyres do crack more easily with less frequent use, and various parts corrode which can lead to premature failures.

Cars sitting about in a wrong environment can be just as bad as lots of miles. In fact perhaps more so. I probably had less issues in my van I did over 700k in, that most people have in a car with 100k.
High Pressure Sodium Lamps have a lifespan of up to 24,000 hours.

LED should* be around 100,000 hours

I wish they would have them save money by having them dim or turn off on sensors

Make believe numbers, just like manufacturers mpg figures.

Dimmable lights are more expensive all round ( and would have a shorter life too ). And they do turn off....in the daytime lol

Although if anything...a lot of lights last longer if they're burning 24/7, than switching off and on a lot.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
No, you still have a valid MOT.
I booked a test early last year (as I normally do) and had it pointed out to me...... infact blatantly over emphasised........ by the guy on the phone that if my car failed that it couldn't be driven until it passed a test despite having 3weeks left.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I booked a test early last year (as I normally do) and had it pointed out to me...... infact blatantly over emphasised........ by the guy on the phone that if my car failed that it couldn't be driven until it passed a test despite having 3weeks left.

He was wrong. Show me any reputable support or source for it and I’ll believe it. I’ve no horse in this race just going on what I’ve been told and what’s online.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
He was wrong. Show me any reputable support or source for it and I’ll believe it. I’ve no horse in this race just going on what I’ve been told and what’s online.

I think this is what you’ve been saying…
This is from an insurance company…

B6408A02-63B8-4960-99F3-75645C64CAF4.jpeg

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
I always put in for an early test on the off chance it failed so that I could still drive it as you'd said. This guy was really adamant about it the last time and stated it like he was reading an official document "I'm obliged to tell you blah blah blah". I was never told this before when doing the same thing. If a car fails the test then it's not roadworthy and can only be driven to or from a test centre.
I'm not expert dude, going by what I was told.

EDIT: Have just read previous post. Surely any dangerous fault with a car would be one that the MOT centre would not allow you to drive the car from the centre even anyway? At least that states it clearly, I've maybe got a jobsworth when I rang previously.

Last edited:

Sidders

RMS Regular
Drives
Toyota
What percentage general population of road cars are on aftermarket airbags or non approved springs?
Money racket? Are you new to motoring 😂
I would imagine, like most things common sense is applied.
In Germany, not all inspectors need papers. E marked suspension on a well maintained car wouldnt be an issue.
Of they ban Replica wheels softer than a toddlers nappy it would be a bad thing.

common sense is not applied, if your car has ANY modifications in Germany it MUST be in your green insurance paper and the parts MUST be TUV approved, if not they won’t be on the papers and also if you put parts on which have no TUV approval you are not insured if an accident happens.
It’s the biggest money racket there is, it’s basically there to protect German businesses and make money, all the major German manufacturers of aftermarket parts have TUV approval, parts made outside Germany less so, yes they can get the approval but it costs money and is a money making system for the German economy, fair play to them I suppose, although I would have thought as they are part of Europe and Eu approval should be enough, it’s not, I’m surprised they get away with, surely it’s breaking some sort of Eu rule.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
common sense is not applied, if your car has ANY modifications in Germany it MUST be in your green insurance paper and the parts MUST be TUV approved, if not they won’t be on the papers and also if you put parts on which have no TUV approval you are not insured if an accident happens.
It’s the biggest money racket there is, it’s basically there to protect German businesses and make money, all the major German manufacturers of aftermarket parts have TUV approval, parts made outside Germany less so, yes they can get the approval but it costs money and is a money making system for the German economy, fair play to them I suppose, although I would have thought as they are part of Europe and Eu approval should be enough, it’s not, I’m surprised they get away with, surely it’s breaking some sort of Eu rule.

Aren't there a few other testing standards within Germany aside from the TUV that aren't as hardcore about modifications if done safely?

Or have I read something before that was complete bull 🤣

Sidders

RMS Regular
Drives
Toyota
Aren't there a few other testing standards within Germany aside from the TUV that aren't as hardcore about modifications if done safely?

Or have I read something before that was complete bull 🤣
All vehicles driven on the road must have a TUV, for cars it’s done very 2years

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Does the whole car not need retested after every modification too? So stick a set of coilovers on and the car needs another TUV?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Once a car has failed an MOT, it no longer has a valid certificate and shouldn't be on the road.

See the NI direct website:

View attachment 333430
And yes, it sucks for something minor/ easily resolved
Surely the last paragraph of what Phil quoted from NI Direct website is what you're looking for? If it fails MOT it's not roadworthy, shouldn't be on the road and doesn't matter of you have remaining time on the last MOT?

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular

Make believe numbers, just like manufacturers mpg figures.

Dimmable lights are more expensive all round ( and would have a shorter life too ). And they do turn off....in the daytime lol

Although if anything...a lot of lights last longer if they're burning 24/7, than switching off and on a lot.
I noticed in a council carpark I worked it every day for a month had streetlights that sat at half brightness till you went near it (must've had microwave sensors as the poles were quite tall)
Thought it was a great idea, except I then realised it was daylight and they shouldn't have been on at all lol 🤦‍♂️

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Surely the last paragraph of what Phil quoted from NI Direct website is what you're looking for? If it fails MOT it's not roadworthy, shouldn't be on the road and doesn't matter of you have remaining time on the last MOT?

Why is everyone confusing unroadworthy with an invalidated MOT certificate.

Say the car goes in for a test 3 weeks early and fails on one bald tyre, you drive straight to the tyre shop and get one fitted. Are you saying the car can’t be driven on the road until the retest? It sure shouldn’t be driven on the bald tyre but MOT status and road worthiness are two separate items and it can quite legally be driven until the test certificate expires. No one is invalidating MOTs!