Mallon considers 2 yearly MOT's in NI

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
Anything that doesn't pay for TUV approval doesn't have it.

For example my Airlift suspension - not TUV approved.

It's a complete and utter money racket. I have seen German police style shows where the cretinous police officers are making calls on things because a car has red springs 'and they aren't red as standard', papers please type of nonsense.
Seen this and thought of you @cauld1 😂

Credit to @natogreen16v
Screenshot_20210827_105848.jpg

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Why is everyone confusing unroadworthy with an invalidated MOT certificate.

Say the car goes in for a test 3 weeks early and fails on one bald tyre, you drive straight to the tyre shop and get one fitted. Are you saying the car can’t be driven on the road until the retest? It sure shouldn’t be driven on the bald tyre but MOT status and road worthiness are two separate items and it can quite legally be driven until the test certificate expires. No one is invalidating MOTs!
No-one is saying it invalidates your mot (I don't think lol) and what you've given is an easier fail to sort and be roadworthy again pretty quick, but I think maybe the examples of fail sheet the list of your arm but people drive on anyway for a couple of weeks until they get a chance to sort the problems out as they have a 'valid MOT' even though they know of issues and technically shouldn't.

Yes I know you can say unroadworthy can occur at any point during the year and you can be caught out that way with checks/accidents, but at least you can be a bit more oblivious to it all (most car owners let's face it) than having a fail sheet but thinking you can just drive on even if you have remaining days?

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Why is everyone confusing unroadworthy with an invalidated MOT certificate.

Say the car goes in for a test 3 weeks early and fails on one bald tyre, you drive straight to the tyre shop and get one fitted. Are you saying the car can’t be driven on the road until the retest? It sure shouldn’t be driven on the bald tyre but MOT status and road worthiness are two separate items and it can quite legally be driven until the test certificate expires. No one is invalidating MOTs!
I know a guy who was an MOT tester for a long time and asked him about this. He said that if it fails it's not roadworthy and shouldn't be driven on the road other than to and from a test.............................until the faults have been repaired then it's ok to drive it until the original MOT expires. The only exception is if it has a prohibition notice enforced (assume if it is unfit to drive, leaking brake lines etc) in which case the notice has to be removed before it can be driven again.

Side note that I found out before is that an English MOT isn't viewed the same in that situation, my VRS still had a few weeks left when I tested here for the first time and the new test was a year from the date of the test not when the English mot expired. I would assume if it had failed that it would still have been ok to drive once faults repaired.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I know a guy who was an MOT tester for a long time and asked him about this. He said that if it fails it's not roadworthy and shouldn't be driven on the road other than to and from a test.............................until the faults have been repaired then it's ok to drive it until the original MOT expires. The only exception is if it has a prohibition notice enforced (assume if it is unfit to drive, leaking brake lines etc) in which case the notice has to be removed before it can be driven again.
That’s exactly what I was saying.