MAN PENALISED FOR WARNING OF SPEED TRAP

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
got this of cliosport.net

Pensioner banned from driving for reminding motorists not to speed

A 71 year old man has been banned from driving for warning other motorists of a speed trap up the road - even though he wasn't in his car at the time! He was also ordered to pay £364 in costs.

Stuart Harding stood on the A325 near Farnborough with a sign saying "Speed Trap - 300 yards ahead". He had stood there on previous occasions warning motorists to slow down because of a car boot sale up the road which generated a lot of pedestrian traffic. Police however took exception when Harding warned of their speed trap.

The court was told that Sgt Sarah Cashman confiscated his sign and was told by the defendent - under caution - "I stop people speeding down here. I am only doing what I think is right ".

Harding pleaded not guilty when he appeared in front of magistrates in Aldershot. He said: "I have been convicted of breaking the law because I was trying to stop others from doing so. It is totally unjust ."

An appeal is to be lodged but the Magistrates passed up on the option to suspend his driving ban and implemented it immediately.

This is a terrible misuse of our justice system. Why this pensioner should lose his driving licence for this 'offence' is a bizarre anomoly in itself, but the concept that stopping people breaking the law is in some way an offence surely needs to be challenged?

It sends out a clear message that the police's main concern wasn't with safety that day, but with securing prosecutions.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
was he reminding motorists not to speed or warning motorists of a speed camera...

2 totally different things in my eyes.

those in excess of the limit who took heed of his warning and slowed down, only to speed up again after passing the camera...where is the incentive or the punishment there?

i.e. he helps speeding drivers get away with it.

POD

RMS Regular
but surely the police put up signs saying speed camera's ahead. is there any difference????

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
POD said:
but surely the police put up signs saying speed camera's ahead. is there any difference????

there doesnt necessarily have to be a signpost..? it could have been a mobile unit operating in a police car which isnt obliged to put up any warning signs.

Dermot

Errr... Aren't Speeds Camera to slow you down and prevent you speeding? Hence the Speed carema warning signs everywhere? Sure all this guy was doing was getting motorists to slow down? Hope the appeal goes his way :laughing:

vza

****** hell,thats rediculous!

did anyone see "jeremy clarkson meets the neighbours"?there was a guy in holland who went out looking for cops with radars guns,etc. and put out signs to warn motorists,hehe

MR2 super GT

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 TTRS
but peter if they manage to slow you down while you pass the camera then thats better than nothing. even if you speed up after the area where cameras are. after all they are supposed to be put up in high risk or high accident areas to slow people down and prevent them from speeding.

cinammon lips

see it could make people think 'hey i need to slow down', or it could make them just think they got away with speeding and will do it again...maybe causing an accident somewhere down the line.

Alpha98

Drives
Golf GTI
but the same can happen when ppl pass "offical" speed camera signs... this guy didnt do anything the cops/council arn't doing themselves anyway. they need to wise up a bit and do something usefull and catch some terrorists or drugdealers.

BJ

Banned
YAWN Since when do traffic cops catch terrorists/drug dealers? :?

Still can't understand how the guy lost his license though if he wasn't driving!

Ev206

RMS Regular
This is obviously a wind up, if he was to be prosecuted for this offence he would be done for perverting the course of justice, which has nothing to do with his license. One final note, if this was true do you not think the papers would have picked up on it?

Cacs

my friends sister got a small fine for this aswell, she flashed a police car which is how she got caught lol, it was only 30quid or something for direveting the cause of justice r something

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Ev206 said:
This is obviously a wind up, if he was to be prosecuted for this offence he would be done for perverting the course of justice, which has nothing to do with his license. One final note, if this was true do you not think the papers would have picked up on it?

They have ;)

Telegraph

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Bloody disgrace.......... in this day and age it pays to be a theiving tax dodging gypo, seems your better off than the normal people!

Ev206

RMS Regular
"It seems to be more about raising revenue than road safety. I'm just so angry and upset about the driving ban. It was totally uncalled for because this wasn't a motoring offence," he said.

How can they ban him from driving if it wasn't a motoring offence, why don't they ban all convicted criminals from driving. I don't understand how this would have stood up in court? Surely any decent solicitor would have got this thrown out

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Besides its not breaking the law and any person has the right under the law to make a peaceful dignified protest, which is essentially what this was in my books.

Dermot

Ev206 said:
"It seems to be more about raising revenue than road safety. I'm just so angry and upset about the driving ban. It was totally uncalled for because this wasn't a motoring offence," he said.

How can they ban him from driving if it wasn't a motoring offence, why don't they ban all convicted criminals from driving. I don't understand how this would have stood up in court? Surely any decent solicitor would have got this thrown out

Depends on the Judge on the day... I bet a good 90% of Judges would have laughed this case out of the court room... But this Judge obvisly took it seriously...

vr_666

well if its true you can bet on it being a case of cops taking great execption to someone demonstating that " catching the speeder" isnt the main point (accident prevention surely is the main point), how a man can lose a license for holding a sign up as a pedestrian is beyond me :? the man must have been a thorn in there sides...authority dont like it when your in the right and they are more interested in the figure sheets than accident prevention, dont know about any of yous but if i see someone flashing, or even holding a sign up signalling a possible speed trap or maybe an accident ahead i check my speed and adjust it accordingly thus leading automatically to safer driving.i rest my case :?:

dturbopug

Ev206 said:

You would be surprised how much power a judge actually has, at a public appeal this will be thrown out, and a much more lenient fine and punishment given, and compensation may also be offered for the loss of his licience for this incidence which has no significance in this case at all if the man didnt have a licence would he have been banned from driving!! This is rediculous and shows how much your punishment depends on the mood of the judge and how many flaws there are in the justice system!!

Sir Sax

Drives
vts
well, it looks to me that this pensioner has lost the government a good few pounds with his warnings. Just goes to show that they are only interested in the money they can make and not in slowing people down at all!

Alpha98

Drives
Golf GTI
Rachie said:
Alpha98 said:
they do what they are told

yes they do but traffic police deal specifically with , shock!, traffic. drugs are left to the drug squad etc.

so if a dealer was walkin down the road past a speed trap with a big bag of E's in one hand and a big bag of dope in the other the traffic cops would say:
cop1: oh look, theres a bloke with lots of drugs
cop2: is he speeding?
cop1: no hes on foot
cop2: oh well.

I DONT THINK SO :grinning:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.