Maranello House Vespa 50 Smallframe restoration

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
Drives
Italian
Ok its a scooter but it has 2 wheels.
I'll not post the whole thing but a little history. Years ago I mentioned at our club that I would love to find an old Italian scooter but there were tumbleweeds for an answer. Then one day about 3 years later a van appeared at the house, the doors opened, and a mate from the club shouted from inside, "do you still want a scooter", this was quickly followed by a silver scooter looking thing being pushed out of the van and landing in a heap on the drive! "There you go, good luck". At that he drove off without another word! I picked the thing up and man handled it up the drive. The front wheel wouldn't go round, the handlebars a funny shape and the back tire flat, and boy was it beat up.

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

I didn't even know what it was. And everything was painted silver.

So it was left in the corner and forgot about for another couple of years and would have been longer only my Dad was bored and wanted something to do. The thing was shipped off to him to be stripped, he had an unusual way to do this.

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
OP
Maranellohouse
Drives
Italian
Frame finished.

IMG_0019.JPG

Now at this point I'm sure your wondering about my choice of colour, well let me explain. I have a plan that involves my little Fiat 500, but I'm not giving it all away just yet.

IMG_0020.JPG

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
OP
Maranellohouse
Drives
Italian
On to the engine.

IMG_0021.JPG

Couldn't tell you the last time it ran, in fact couldn't tell you anything about it at all! So too it apart.

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

Broke the 2 piston rings, put it all back together again, cleaned it, and painted it up. I'll confess at this point I don't intend too ride the thing so not going to get it running, that's something for the future.

IMG_2092.JPG

That's pretty much 2 years squeezed in in ten minutes.

IMG_2093.JPG

Last edited:

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
OP
Maranellohouse
Drives
Italian
Up to date then. Seat next and it is a mess.

IMG_2090.JPG

A chunk missing out of it, oh and the leather, well it is no more.
IMG_2089.JPG

So I got a bit of sponge, cut it, and glued it in. When it dries I will use my mini grinder and sculpture it in.

IMG_2091.JPG

I bought new leather as I'm going to attempt to make a new seat cover myself. I wanted it to match the seats in the 500. Its close enough to do.

IMG_2084.JPG

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
OP
Maranellohouse
Drives
Italian
Talking of the grave, the one part I didn't think I could save was the front mudguard. Amazing what nice new panel beating hammers and dollies can do!
IMG_2100.JPG

EP3 James

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
Awesome! :grinning: Love it. Personally woulda went for a brighter colour but with you wanting to do something similar to the wee fiat I can see why you've chosen this colour. Keep up the work :grinning:

RoniN

RMS Regular
Nice work !!!
Photo's or a thread on the x1/9 sometime would be good (y)

Cheers

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.