Mazda 2.2 Skyactiv

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
Drives
mediocrely
Thinking of looking at a mazda with the 2.2 skyactiv diesel.

I know the old Mazda 2.2 diesel was a disaster but are the later ones any better?

Car has done 100k so like anything it's a risk!

cupraricky

RMS Regular
Thinking of looking at a mazda with the 2.2 skyactiv diesel.

I know the old Mazda 2.2 diesel was a disaster but are the later ones any better?

Car has done 100k so like anything it's a risk!

I had a mazda 3, 2.2d 185,for approx 3.5years, wanted/needed absolutely nothing. Only issue I got was when I reduced my commute, I then had an issue with dpf, but a forced regen sorted that out.

I see you mention 100k, just for reference mine only had 60k ish when I sold it.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
I randomly watched this the other day and yer man (yes I know he's dull as dishwater) would suggest avoid

cupraricky

RMS Regular
I randomly watched this the other day and yer man (yes I know he's dull as dishwater) would suggest avoid

He only mentions skyactiv, not engine size, from memory there are 3 sizes of skyactiv diesel. And post 2014 he admits are better.

Admittedly the video did remind me I did have an issue with the oil pick up. Mine was a 2011 model. Aside from dpf requiring forced regen and oil pick up needing sorted, it was a stonking car, regret selling it.

Is the one your looking at post 2014? @lackingBHP

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
OP
lackingBHP
Drives
mediocrely
No it's a 2013......seems to be a few horror stories with them.

It's only a cheap car to do a couple of months but wary that it won't be doing long runs either.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
What issues did they have out of interest.

My mate has a 2011 2.2 sport with 170k on it, he bought it Feb 2020, so it's done about 8k miles since he bought it.

It's seems to use a decent amount of oil, but doesn't smoke and the engine is bone dry underneath. Wtf is it going?

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
OP
lackingBHP
Drives
mediocrely
Seemed to be issues with the dpf not working, filling the sump and wrecking the engine.

joys of needing an estate car and so hard to get a petrol one.

Mackers91

RMS Regular
My partner's parents have 2 of the 2.2 diesel's, a 2014 Mazda 3 and a 2019 Mazda 6.

The 6 has had one issue which is when the DPF does a regen it seems to leak diesel by the piston rings into the sump. Mazda knows about this as there are 2 max fill points on the dipstick (1 which you fill it to and the other is when too much diesel has leaked by and it needs an oil change.)

when we asked them about it they said the fix was just to do an oil and filter change and drive it harder. but apart from that, they have both been perfect the 3 is on about 90k and 6 is on about 50k.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
This isn't an issue unique to this engine.

Vauxhaull 2.0 CDTI engines at the very least do the same thing when trying to force a regen.

I had a very useful Opel app that worked with my Carista that monitored the dpf system. Anytime I knew a regen was due (over 80% full) I would scoot up the m2 and monitor the regen whilst I did it.

The difference was huge, a forced regen would be lucky to get it below 45%, proper regen was down to 6% every time.

I think this exceptional bad here in northern Ireland, we face so few stretches long enough to get a proper regent done unless commuting a decent distant by motorway at 70 regularly