Mazda MX5 NB Mk2.5 Sport

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Not something your son could take on if he had an interest? A lot of years invested in the car that you clearly love

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
Not something your son could take on if he had an interest? A lot of years invested in the car that you clearly love
Honestly, he doesn't give a stuff. He was 8 when he started chirping from the back seat "Whats that Dad... " every time an MX5 went past. Thats why I bought it. For the past 3-4 years or so, he has absolutely no interest in the MX5 and in fact won't go out in it with me unless the roof is up and I'm not dropping him anywhere near school.

Thats probably one of the big reasons I've gone off the boil for a few years with the car.

Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Forgot about that, sorry. I'd be keen to pick it up anytime that suits you.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
Winter is officially over 😁

Fired straight up after 5 months rest. Just a few weeks now before I've owned it 10 years. Clock has just passed 42k on it. I've only done about 6k over 10 years but in fairness..... It was pulled apart and in many pieces for 4 of those years!

Still teetering on the edge of a change..... So we'll see what happens over the next few months.

PXL_20230226_123843882~2.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
Looking great. If it’s doable, I’d be holding onto it, it’s in fantastic shape
I can hold on to it, theres no real need to get rid and I've nothing I really want in it's place.

Ironically.... And I never imagined it.... I've been loving driving the 1.0 A3 we bought. That car is such a surprise.... The 3 pot 1.0 is a great unit. 88kg I gather, with forged internals. The front end is fantastic as a result and I really enjoy driving it..

The Mazda, once you pass 50 on the B roads, has a very light feeling and not in a good way.

I probably need to let someone who rallies or has track time have a drive to see what I'm missing. Maybe I'm chasing a level of drive..... That this car has reached its limit in delivering.

Last edited:

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I can hold on to it, theres no real need to get rid and I've nothing I really want in it's place.

Ironically.... And I never imagined it.... I've been loving driving the 1.0 A3 we bought. That car is such a surprise.... The 3 pot 1.0 is a great unit. 88kg I gather, with forged internals. The front end is fantastic as a result and I really enjoy driving it..

The Mazda, once you pass 50 on the B roads, has a very light feeling and not in a good way.

I probably need to let someone who rallies or has track time have a drive to see what I'm missing. Maybe I'm chasing a level of drive..... That this car has reached its limit in delivering.
Maybe worth getting the suspension geometry checked again and may set up a bit differently. Even tyres pressures make a big difference. I got new alloys fitted a while ago and the car was handling funny, it just felt a bit uneasy. After a week or so I checked the tyres and three of them had been blown up to 40-41psi and one was at 31psi. Once I got them all down to 31 the car felt a lot better.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
Checked them all before heading out. A 4 wheel geo setup might be needed right enough. The guys at mx5partsNI did that after it was rebuilt, but things do settle in over time.

Theres also the issue that I've uprated IL MotorSport bushes all over the rear and the original Mazda bushes up front. They're all sound, but I'm sure uprating the front wouldn't hurt.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
Well, a final picture of my MK2.5 to close this chapter.

10 years and one week of ownership and my final photo as I delivered it to its temporary home.

1000006295.jpg

I've been thinking of selling up for about 2 years now, so did it fast and painless with a very pleasant and swift sale to Ballinatagart Cars and Classics. Chris was a pleasure to deal with and someone will hopefully continue to look after what I reckon is one on the most solid, low mileage MK2.5s in NI.

My last long drive over to Cars and Coffee last month made my mind up. I've had a few health problems this past few years and was in a lot of pain during and after driving it. That made the decision easier in the end.

Apologies to members on here who I said in the past that I'd drop a PM to when this time came, but after long ownership, this was the way I had to do it and Chris was great.

So, the question now is, does my boring automatic daily driver deserve a members thread? 😂

I'm referring to it as " someday this might be a classic if I can keep it running long enough", but I've had my C220 auto for 6 years now and I'm on a mission to keep it running as my (probably never) modern classic.

1000002027.jpg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
It's a lovely example, I'm sure it will sell well. I never got down to you again for that inlet manifold. 🤦‍♂️

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I'm off this week if you are about? Let me know sure. (y)