Mckeowns tiger 1050

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
Just thought id stick a thread up on my current bike, ive been riding for 2 years and this was a welcome change from my previous cbf600. I needed something that suited a taller rider and that could do a bit of everything. I nearly bought a cb1300 but it was no more suited to me than the cbf.

I saw this for sale at the right money with extras that I wanted and decided to go for it. Its a 2009 with the following;
Belly pan
Carbon dipped trim
New discs
Engine bars
Aux lights
Heated grips
Rad guards
Remus low level exhaust
Hand guards
Touring screen
Longer chain guard which eliminates a lot of fling
Rear hugger

From i got the bike ive removed the lowering kit and put it back to standard height and ive fitted michelin pilot road 5's which have scrubbed in well and im impressed so far. The bike will be getting a service this week with plans to get out more often when work permits. Anyway heres a few photos:

20180408_114206.jpg

20180408_114213.jpg
20180407_202527.jpg

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Stunning big bike.

The lowering kit would definitely have been wasted on you... lol

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Nice bike; I have one myself. They are a lovely all-round road bike in terms of the steady torque right through the revs and the suspension deals well with the B roads.

I like your low pipe conversion which doesn't seem to interfere with the centre stand. I'd fancy doing something similar with mine.

HTR!

warren

RMS Photographer
Fantastic bit of gear. I was after one of these in orange before I got the Tracer.

Does the wee screen extension make much of a difference?

mckeown

RMS Regular
OP
mckeown
Drives
mitsi outlander
screen extension works best for me in the lowest position, The highest setting just puts the blast right in my face. I'd need a screen twice the height is it were to put the wind over my head.

mckeown

RMS Regular
OP
mckeown
Drives
mitsi outlander
Only real update on this is i fitted a GiPro gear indicator to stop me going for 7th. Its a good job and handy to have in some situations. The big girl is also up for MOT tomorrow so hopefully she flies through.

mckeown

RMS Regular
OP
mckeown
Drives
mitsi outlander
So i still have this and its hard to think what will replace it so i decided to spens a bit this year and sort a few issues, first up was a full service and new ebc hh pads with fresh fluid and the suspension tuned. Gave her a bath when i got her home.
20200303_170038.jpg

20200303_170106.jpg

Then went on ebay and seen some pannier racks so bought and fitted them, if anything they will provide the missus with an extra couple of places to hold onto.
20200311_092425.jpg

Youll notice ive stuck some tool drawer liner to stop her sliding back, the standard seat on these are well known for being a bit crap so ive ordered an else made seat with comfort inserts for me and the pillion. After that it will be suspension upgrade later in the year.

mckeown

RMS Regular
OP
mckeown
Drives
mitsi outlander
Its a brake caliper protector, its to stop road crap gathering in the upside down caliper as they are well known to seize, its more of a consideration for bikes that are used in winter conditions and kept outside, mine doesnt turn a wheel over winter and i try to keep the bike as clean as possible to prevent it from happening.

mckeown

RMS Regular
OP
mckeown
Drives
mitsi outlander
I was out but was around the mournes
20200314_113914.jpg

So my seat arrived from else made, first impressions are good, stitching is neat and the ride i did this morning (circa 70miles) was done without complaint which i couldnt have done without some discomfort. Its bloody dear though at about 300 quid but if i can sort this bike ill have no bother keeping her. Heres some pics of the seat:
20200314_113921.jpg

20200313_141607.jpg

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Lovely big bike this.

Friend of mine tried tempting me towards 1 recently but I don’t think I could part with the GS. Will maybe have to take 1 of these a run to compare though.

mckeown

RMS Regular
OP
mckeown
Drives
mitsi outlander
More than welcome to take mine a spin, was chatting to paul saying you guys head out on some sundays and said id tag along if its ok?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
More than welcome to take mine a spin, was chatting to paul saying you guys head out on some sundays and said id tag along if its ok?

Absolutely. He’s still getting the hang of the bike, but sure it’s as much about just getting out and having a bit of craic at 1 of the many food/coffee stops as much as anything. I’ll let ya know when we’re heading out and see if you’re free. Brave variation of machines and rider ability in our group of mates, so it’s not a scratching session by any means.

mckeown

RMS Regular
OP
mckeown
Drives
mitsi outlander
So just for update, the seat does seem to have made a difference, no numbness at all, has made the bike a lot more usable, im still gonna bitch about the cost of it though. I think im married to this bike now.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Lovely big bike this.

Friend of mine tried tempting me towards 1 recently but I don’t think I could part with the GS. Will maybe have to take 1 of these a run to compare though.
I used to have R1150GS, then a Pan St1300, now a Tigersport 1050. For me the tiger has a very comfy seat but I used to find the GS sore on the arse after an hour.
The only thing I hate about the tiger is the standard screen being very noisy. And the heated grips are not near as hot as the GS ones were. The triple engine is a peach for a road bike, still torquey low down but pulls evenly the whole way to the red line. And with similar mileage to my GS (30k) the triumph is definitely far more reliable. I had a lot of niggles and repairs with the GS.
But there is something nice about the GS in a weird way, as I'm sure you know.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I used to have R1150GS, then a Pan St1300, now a Tigersport 1050. For me the tiger has a very comfy seat but I used to find the GS sore on the arse after an hour.
The only thing I hate about the tiger is the standard screen being very noisy. And the heated grips are not near as hot as the GS ones were. The triple engine is a peach for a road bike, still torquey low down but pulls evenly the whole way to the red line. And with similar mileage to my GS (30k) the triumph is definitely far more reliable. I had a lot of niggles and repairs with the GS.
But there is something nice about the GS in a weird way, as I'm sure you know.

I’ve has days of 6+ hours in the saddle and never had an issue thankfully, which is good as I’m going to be doing the Iron Butt Association lap of Ireland which is to be done in under 24 hours, so that’ll equate to 14/15 hours in the saddle in approx 18 hours if we stick to our schedule.

mckeown

RMS Regular
OP
mckeown
Drives
mitsi outlander
@rollinstone cheers man, the multi looks awesome, you need to get a pipe for her, looking forward to future runs!

@Nicky when are you thinking of doing it, sounds attritional!