Mechanic scratched my car

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Mac1987

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Right so a couple of weeks ago i left my car out to my mechanic to do a bit of servicing work on it, the day i picked it up i brought it home parked it in the garage & haven't been near it since until yesterday, i went out into the garage & noticed a very obvious scratch on the back door above the door handle, this scratch wasn't there prior to leaving it to the mechanic because the day before i left it out to him i polished the car & it definitely wasn't there, i tried some meguires scratch remover on it but it won't shift it, the scratch isn't deep enough to catch your finger nail in it, so i think its just through the lacquer. A good detailer would probably be able to use very fine wet & dry & then compound it to get the scratch out ? I'd want someone that knows how to do this as i don't feel confident taking sandpaper to the paint. Is there any good detailers close to Newry who could fix this for me ? I Remember there was a fella in rathfriland called Jeff who used to do detailing & his work looked unbelievably good think he might be a member on here still actually think he has a Porsche in his profile pic, tried to search for him there but can't find him, also to any detailers out there how much would i expect to pay to have this sorted? I want to know because when i go out to see this mechanic later i want to know how much he's gonna have to reimburse me
pics below

WP_20190320_17_21_53_Pro.jpg

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Geoff is on here but the username escapes me atm. Good luck proving he done the damage to.

Jethro

RMS Regular
Yep, it's me you're looking for. Unfortunately I don't bother with detailing any more and I've sold most of my gear and polishers. From the pic it doesn't look too bad so should be easily enough remedied. Just don't let the mechanic "have a go" at it as I've seen the results of that many times and all too often it is made worse.

Mac1987

RMS Regular
OP
Mac1987
Drives
Anything
Yep, it's me you're looking for. Unfortunately I don't bother with detailing any more and I've sold most of my gear and polishers. From the pic it doesn't look too bad so should be easily enough remedied. Just don't let the mechanic "have a go" at it as I've seen the results of that many times and all too often it is made worse.
was just talking to him there & he says tell me how much the detailer will take it out for. so how much would you of charged for this Geoff ?

Jethro

RMS Regular
was just talking to him there & he says tell me how much the detailer will take it out for. so how much would you of charged for this Geoff ?

It's hard to say without actually seeing it. If it's a light surface scratch and could be removed with wet sanding and polishing etc which it seems, it would have been about £30-£40 but if its deeper... .that a different ball game altogether

Mac1987

RMS Regular
OP
Mac1987
Drives
Anything
It's hard to say without actually seeing it. If it's a light surface scratch and could be removed with wet sanding and polishing etc which it seems, it would have been about £30-£40 but if its deeper... .that a different ball game altogether
Ok cheers mate, yeah im no detailer but looking at the scratch id be confident a wet sand & buff would take it out. its just i wouldnt have the confidence myself to take sandpaper to the body work :eek:

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Have you a machine polisher? Always go with the least aggressive method first and just clean up and decon the working area and try and polish it out. Sanding would be the last step, if it doesn't buff out.

I was able to buff out most of the damage done to my CRV with a polisher,

IMG_2018-10-05_18-36-40.JPG

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Fair play if he stands over it... I left Cali in for a window regulator in crossgar collected the car and got home and there was a gouge in back bumper, drive back over

Nah mate didn’t happen here and that was the end of it... car was immaculate, had just over 20k on it at that time and only used for shows, I knew it inside out

Lesson learnt, check before driving away

Mac1987

RMS Regular
OP
Mac1987
Drives
Anything
Fair play if he stands over it... I left Cali in for a window regulator in crossgar collected the car and got home and there was a gouge in back bumper, drive back over

Nah mate didn’t happen here and that was the end of it... car was immaculate, had just over 20k on it at that time and only used for shows, I knew it inside out

Lesson learnt, check before driving away
Was talking to him earlier & he sounded abit more negative saying ' well it could of happened here & it might not, i cant see anything on my cctv ' the day or so before i left it to him i fully cleaned the car including wash, de tarred, clay barred, polished, & 3 coats of wax. So i was round this car 7 times & the scratch definitely wasn't there prior to leaving it with him, he's a Latvian guy never had a problem with any of his work in the past but this has annoyed me, totally unacceptable. Your right it seems that from now on any car i collect from & garage I'm gonna have to inspect before leaving the premises

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Is he cheap for mechanicing? Personally, for all it would cost to buff (and it sounds like it would come out alright), I think I'd just get it done myself and let it go. Less hassle in the long run. It would be different if it was something major needing a respray etc.

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
Do you intend to use this mechanic again? If so I would just sort it out myself or you will always have his back up everytime you go there. As you say a few weeks had passed so its hard for you to say it was definitely him and if it was Im sure it wasnt intentional. Looks to be minor and easily sorted.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
If you fancy trying it yourself with a DA polisher I've one I can let you borrow, as @Jethro has said it doesn't look too bad at all.

DA is much more forgiving than a rotary, so if you were to watch a couple of tutorials you might fancy it yourself.

Mac1987

RMS Regular
OP
Mac1987
Drives
Anything
Worth a go with a machine polisher

Had this from a trolley incident too didn’t think it wud come out but worked a treat View attachment 228974View attachment 228975
Thats some job that mate. Nice colour that what car is it btw ? Yeah screw it ill just sort it out myself probaly got a feeling the way hes carrying on its gonna be like trying to get blood out of a stone & i cant be bothered with the Agg still dosent make it right though ! I tried another go at it by hand there with some t-cut its faded it abit more, them polishers seem to be the ticket i have one but its a cheap rubbish one. This mechanic has an awful attitude pretty much everytime i go to him but i just accept he's a complete ignorant C. but when i rang him up & questioned him on this he was all calm & nice & i thought something is not right this man is never nice like this which led me to believe even more that he knew something about this due to his unusually sheepish way he came across on the phone

Mac1987

RMS Regular
OP
Mac1987
Drives
Anything
If you fancy trying it yourself with a DA polisher I've one I can let you borrow, as @Jethro has said it doesn't look too bad at all.

DA is much more forgiving than a rotary, so if you were to watch a couple of tutorials you might fancy it yourself.
Thanks Ricky your a Gent mate ill maybe contact you about that, at the moment though the last week or so ive been suffering with tonsilitis so im feeling pretty rough at the mo :weary_face:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Was a Persia red vectra b estate... looked brown/maroon till sunlight hits it

Def be worth a go if you can get someone to give it a rattle, Wudnt take long for one panelView attachment 228978

Don't suppose your Cavalier Turbo is in (or was in) getting work at an auto electricians in Belfast recently? Was meaning to ask you.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Thanks Ricky your a Gent mate ill maybe contact you about that, at the moment though the last week or so ive been suffering with tonsilitis so im feeling pretty rough at the mo :weary_face:

No worries, if you decide you want to have a go let me know, be happy to help. Pet peeve of mine when paint isn't right

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.