Melted fuse

Bouncy

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio
Hello, I have a melted fuse in the bsi on my Peugeot I have try to get out as much melted fuse as I can but the new fuse isn't going fully in but is working for now I'm looking to know will I need to replace the bsi or can this be fixed ?

Attachments

• IMG20220102133809.jpg
    IMG20220102133809.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 104

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Possibly opened up and cleaned but it's usually as a result of a poor connection, be weary it doesn't happen again, or worse!

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
You would want to know why it melted in the first place!

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Fire waiting to happen
Get all the crap out of there before jamming another 1 in
As said find out why it melted in the 1st place

Bouncy

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Clio
When it was only a 30amp fuse in there going by the book it should of been a 40amp so not sure if that was the problem

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
I lifted two fuse box fire cars before Xmas. As said get it checked out, both cars Peugeot, a 308 and a 3008

flushcut

RMS Member
Drives
Junk
nasty pic, lucky a fire didnt take with the amount of heat melt on the surround. A look underneath/wiring would be worthwhile in your decision to replace BSI. But the root cause of the melt needs to sorted as others have stated. You need to look at what circuit/s is the fuse used for, take a look at the components and wiring, test components and test circuit for amp draw. Wiring diagram would be handy to see what else is linked to fuse. Easier said than done I know, just my thoughts!

Bouncy

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Clio
Yeah Im trying to get it booked in to get looked at but everyone is fully book up for the next 2 weeks and with it been the heater I need it fixed asap lol with the cold mornings

chrisd

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiguan
Itll be the resistor/blower motor gone and drawing too much current in that case. Fire waiting to happen tbh seen and heard of many going up. Id say you'll find some melted wires behind the bsi too

Bouncy

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Clio
The blower is working after I try another fuse in it but took it out right away as I don't want a fire to happen so not so sure what's going on tbh

flushcut

RMS Member
Drives
Junk
You need to test for amp draw within that circuit!

good news... there is an easy way to test

bad news... you will need an inductive amp clamp that will read DC amps and they start around £100 if you cannot get the lend of one. Sealey tools do one (MM405 Mini AC/DC Clamp Meter). It will also read up to 200 DC amps. Cheaper meters do not read DC Amps, only AC, watch out for that.

To test - using a 'working' correctly rated fuse, create 2 jumper wires with crimped spade connectors and connect between fuse and fusebox pins. Open jaws of inductive amp clamp and place around one wire, set to amps DC, switch on circuit and read off amp draw. You will want to see an amp draw WELL within the amp rating of the fuse, ideally the amp draw should be referenced off the motor amp rating, but were to find that info will be near impossible. The fuse should stay cool to the touch after been left on for awhile, and switch on other circuits to see if something is linked?

PS, you can only test amps when the circuit is in working operation, so get the blower on max and other circuits.

Granted, this is easy said and done if you have the tools, otherwise, leave it in with an auto spark