Mercedes Android Auto Activation

pjpbarnes

RMS Member
Drives
E220D
Hi, new to the forum!

I recently got a '18 Mercedes E220D Estate. Lovely to drive.

However they've locked out Android Auto, and you need to pay £299 for 'smartphone integration' as an over the air update. The hardware is all there.

I've read that it can be activated amongst other things via the engineering menu. I've also seen some claims that it can be done via OBD adaptors.

Can anyone recommend someone that might be able to do this in NI? Thanks in advance!

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Has it definitely not got it? I've a 2018 E220d coupe and the android auto only works when the phone is plugged into the car. Has to be via a specific one of the two USBs in the armrest, choose the wrong one and you'll get nothing. I also had to get a decent quality cable as the cheap (very short) one I had it wouldn't recognise that the phone was attached/connected.

pjpbarnes

RMS Member
OP
pjpbarnes
Drives
E220D
Thanks @Paddy_R ! I thought it should have it and the manual talks about it etc. I have that second usb with the phone icon. But I tried two different cables and no joy. Ours is just the basic SE version, no bells or whistles.

So I was thinking it's just disabled. I seen a video on YouTube where someone activated it via the engineering menu. But I can only access the dealer menu, which is a bit rubbish!

I'll try a third cable maybe and see if any more luck. And will try Creevy Autos.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
My coupe is an AMG Line premium so it may have android auto as standard over the SE but as you say I thought they all (2018 E classes) had it as standard in the UK.

My current cable is an Anker brand if that's any help.