Mercedes S Class W221- Air Suspension Common Issue?

Topmark

RMS Regular
I'm contemplating a Mercedes S Class W221, S350.

They seem to be generally a solid car with not too many common issues. One that does seem to create some noise is Air Suspension failure.

I'm trying to understand if this is just forum chat (as you only really ever hear about the things that go wrong on forums) or if it is common.

Helpful to know if anyone has had any experience of this?

Many thanks.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
If it’s anything like the range rovers it’s not really that big a deal even if it does go.

Also I’ve had zero air suspension bother in 50k with my rangie despite them having the same rep for suspension failure lol

-Pete-

RMS Regular
I dont think the air suspension issue is just chatter unfortunately. Neighbour currently has his E class estate sitting on the floor as its rear air suspension has gone. Close friend got rid of his 2005 E class estate as he had already had issues with the rear air in it and switched to a 5 series bmw estate instead.
Seems a very very common issue among them, also wasn't it richy on the forum with his amg E class that also had problems with his air suspension? nearly sure he had it in his thread.
My neighbour isn't even fixing his, he's just trying to sell it as is. I know it can still bring itself back up to height, but when he parks it, its like an old citroen just dropping right to the ground

Was the range rover not just the pump that was an easy fix? I think the merc is more severe and its the shocks that crap out and need replaced at big money.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
I've read that if you can, get to see the car when it has sat for a couple of days. If its sagging on a corner, you have a leak. Its an expensive system to replace bits on and I'd think that swopping springs in would also need a fair bit of digging about to disable the OE system and its control ECUs.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
I've read that if you can, get to see the car when it has sat for a couple of days. If its sagging on a corner, you have a leak. Its an expensive system to replace bits on and I'd think that swopping springs in would also need a fair bit of digging about to disable the OE system and its control ECUs.
Arnott (OE air spring supplier) do a full conversion kit which has all the computer cancelling wizardry to keep it happy

It's a plan B at the very least.

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
Arnott (OE air spring supplier) do a full conversion kit which has all the computer cancelling wizardry to keep it happy

It's a plan B at the very least.
I wonder what the price of that is? I've often mulled over S classes and CLS500s but stayed away for fear the suspension gave up.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
I think £1k + VAT, that was last year when I actually needed a daily driver and was considering one of these as there was a CAT D one here for nothing.

I'd say it's not far off that now if not the same.

It'd be all for keeping the air suspension if it was just a compressor issue, but if it means buying more than 1 new strut(which at the age of these cars is likely) then it's very appealing to just remove it all and go to coil springs and never worry about it again

gingfto

RMS Regular
Drives
CLS500 (5.5)
It's like any other big luxury car at the end of the day. They will all have something on them that people find prohibitive to maintain/repair/replace...a lot of the horror stories online come from the sort of people who put budget tires on and yet got a repair quote from mercedes direct (insert BMW/Audi etc).
Mercedes used the same setup for so long with the air, engines and gearboxes for a reason, they are good - throw in numbers made vs failures and take into account poor maintenance or driving then I'd guess probably not even average failure rates. A well maintained car should be fine.

I've had a fully loaded w219 cls for 18 months now.... serviced a lot on it and replaced some stuff, nothing has been that difficult and I'm no trained mechanic. Best purchase was icarsoft, paid for itself within a fortnight and it also gives air suspension specifics if you do have any issues.
When looking initially I had the same fear, then thought "f**k it, it's worth the risk in the end". Comparing it to a similar age E350 (@gary87) the air suspension is more than worth having, can only take 100kg in the boot though in the cls because of it.
As said above, replacing with shocks and springs or coilovers is doable, worst case new air shocks can be had new for £450-£750 a corner IIRC (autodoc). Not sure on rear but fronts weren't exactly difficult to get at when I was doing ball joints; to fire on a tested second hand unit wouldn't be the worst if its cheap enough too.

The shock is worst case scenario - quite a few of the suspension problems seem to come from the compressor, often related to the relay causing overrun and burning out the compressor. Neither part is terribly dear. Lines/connectors to the shocks can be the problem rather than the shock itself. They don't like being sat up for months at a time.

Honestly, depending on the mileage and history; knowing the gearbox has been serviced and working fine is probably a bigger concern that the air suspension.
Age wise for me it was a creaky front end - lower ball joints/lower arms, and now needs brake lines due to age/plastic undertrays. Also alarm siren went which is another common one.

For the comfort and luxury I've zero complaints to be fair. Any questions feel free!

gingfto

RMS Regular
Drives
CLS500 (5.5)
even at 450 a corner that isn't cheap!
:joy: true, but then again people think nothing of firing £1000-1500 on a set of coilovers to make something ride like bag of crap, or £1000 on a set of wheels 🤷‍♂️

@Johnny_E that is a tidy big car! 5.5 v8 is something else to drive, docile and comfortable then a complete animal.