mercedes w204 lowered problems

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
following on from another thread, well I had H&R Sports fitted to my mercedes c class saloon
my car has 38k on the original shocks, well since were fitted the car is horrible to drive,

it is knocking and rattling and I have had it checked twice and all bolts/top mounts are tight,

I also had brand new 19s fitted and they were balanced etc I am getting slight steering vibration,

but its the knocks/rattles that is annoying me,

here is a photo of the springs fitted, surely these coils shouldn't be so tight?

17270327_397351263968829_1977162391_n.jpg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Did they look like that when they were new and not fitted?

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
have to be honest I dont even think I looked, I don't do my own work, I leave it to my mechanic,

my car was lovely to drive standard, now its horrible, I have had loads of lowered cars from springs/coilovers/airbags and nothing like this..

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Cant help, but you're not having much luck :worried:.

I know, and its such a nice car and nice to drive so its put a dampner on things, Hopefully 3rd time lucky and I'll order a different brand again,

think it will be yellow apex ones next

look like they have been heated, were the springs new?

yes mate brand new in the box, I always buy new, I emailed the seller and he said thats how they are meant to sit,

Spoke to another man whos running H&R and he said his doesn't look like that so it looks like faulty springs

Avant1

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
Put a post up on the main FB page , may be others out there with similar issues and they could have the answers / recommendations for you .

colin84

RMS Regular
That's not right, the centre coils will be coming into contact with each other. No idea what the answer is though.

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
have emailed H&R

But from googling it would appear that these are progressive springs and are supposed to sit like that :rolleyes:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It's not immediately obvious in that photo, but there appears to be a rubber coating over the springs.

It seems that they are meant to look like that. How odd.

H&RM-BenzS20429075-2(9).jpg

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
yep mine are 29075-1 and that's how they look, apparently the plastic sleeve is to stop noise:rolleyes:

going to have to leave it back to get checked over again, mechanic said top mounts are tight, shock bolts are tight, droplinks/balljoints all ok:confounded:

Gambit

RMS Regular
Rubber coating is to prevent spring chatter & is perfectly normal. It might well be that the shocks cant cope with the uprated spring poundage...or your riding on the bump stops

Last edited:

Laundrymike

RMS Regular
Drives
T4, S3, Mini
I've no experience with your car, but have run various springs over the years...from budgets, to Eibachs, apex, H&R, etc.

Found that H&R do sit a bit lower than say Eibachs quoting the same drop, but have needed to run a firmer/uprated shock to compensate such as a Bilstein B6

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Is the spring seated correctly? Hard to tell from that picture. Looks weird too that sitting there two of those middle coils are basically touching already.

Is the car setup that it has four spring/shock combinations? If so, are the springs the correct way round, and by that I mean correct front are on the front and rear springs on the rear?

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Springs are in in correct for both front and rear. The setup does look weird. When i hit a tiny bump something knocks that sounds solid

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Going out on a limb but could it be something else suspension related? ARB bushs?

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Springs are in in correct for both front and rear. The setup does look weird. When i hit a tiny bump something knocks that sounds solid
Top mounts knackered by any chance? Maybe being exaggerated by the stiffer springs now?

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
The car has only 37k miles so dont think top mounts would be done.
Mechanic is going to strip struts down on thurs and check all out. Hopefully get sorted

steenson

RMS Regular
Drives
misc 80's/90's
Make sure the spring pads have been put back in with the new springs or she will cause a hell of a racket!

flame

RMS Regular
Rubber coating is to prevent spring chatter & is perfectly normal. It might well be that the shocks cant cope with the uprated spring poundage...or your riding on the bump stops

This- I would suggest it is riding on the bumpstops

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Bump stops were took out to check snd made no differece. Mechanic said hes sure the noise is coming up through the struts. So he will strip them down and rebuild them to see

cupraricky

RMS Regular
Engine mount? I had a similar problem (different type of car) but after lowering, with the bumpier/sportier ride one of the engine mounts crapped itself making a solid clunking nose.