mercedes w204 lowered problems

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
had the struts stripped and rebuilt, everything is ok, top mounts everything,

think the problem could be the bump stops, can they be removed?

im thinking of just buying coilovers and get them in, scundered with this noise

flame

RMS Regular
How about reverting to the Eibachs? They might settle in a bit and lower enough for you now you have the 19s on

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
How about reverting to the Eibachs? They might settle in a bit and lower enough for you now you have the 19s on

dont fancy risking springs again, that would be the 3rd set to go in, if i can't get it sorted with the H&R I will buy coils, really disappointing as it sits perfect on them

image.jpg

colin84

RMS Regular
Still surprised at the middle coils being so close. I'm no expert but I had similar experience before and you could see where the coils had been touching.

If you go for coilovers you would need to pay good money for a set, preferably fully adjustable. You wouldn't want to ruin it with a cheap set

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Still surprised at the middle coils being so close. I'm no expert but I had similar experience before and you could see where the coils had been touching.

If you go for coilovers you would need to pay good money for a set, preferably fully adjustable. You wouldn't want to ruin it with a cheap set

Surprised myself but apparently that's how they sit, and I sent the photo to H&R and they confirmed it

It would be AP Coilovers I would be getting so should be decent

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Surprised myself but apparently that's how they sit, and I sent the photo to H&R and they confirmed it

It would be AP Coilovers I would be getting so should be decent
I removed H&R for the exact same
Reason on the wife's A3. Sat perfect with them. Put Eibach pro in and it sits higher but no noise or crashy feel anymore.

Gambit

RMS Regular
Bump stops were took out to check snd made no differece. Mechanic said hes sure the noise is coming up through the struts. So he will strip them down and rebuild them to see

when you say took out and checked? you mean you refitted & run it without the bump stops and it still rattled?

Did H&R not offer any advice regarding bumpstops/installation or did you just ask to confirm the springs looked fitted correctly?

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
when you say took out and checked? you mean you refitted & run it without the bump stops and it still rattled?

Did H&R not offer any advice regarding bumpstops/installation or did you just ask to confirm the springs looked fitted correctly?

im near sure the rear ones were removed completely n still knocked, but it is the front the noise is actually coming from, the front ones were only trimmed a bit and still noisy

H&R just confirmed thats how the springs sit/look, I emailed back asking if anything else had to be done but no word back

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
I removed H&R for the exact same
Reason on the wife's A3. Sat perfect with them. Put Eibach pro in and it sits higher but no noise or crashy feel anymore.

was your H&R noisy ruairi ? it has to be these springs,

Gambit

RMS Regular
im near sure the rear ones were removed completely n still knocked, but it is the front the noise is actually coming from, the front ones were only trimmed a bit and still noisy

H&R just confirmed thats how the springs sit/look, I emailed back asking if anything else had to be done but no word back

sounds like a pain in the hole (n) unless the shocks just cant cope with new springs drop & increased poundage

nothing else out there on net regarding w204s and h&r spring fitment issues?

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
sounds similiar to me then, I think I will just order something else again :sob:

To be honest I just removed them and didn't look into anything else as it was too low for the wife. It hasn't knocked since with the eibach fitted.
The A3 sportback only had 30k when they where removed bud. Crap one for you bud

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
sounds like a pain in the hole (n) unless the shocks just cant cope with new springs drop & increased poundage

nothing else out there on net regarding w204s and h&r spring fitment issues?

but nearly every merc you will see lowered is on springs and standard shocks, granted most are on apex springs though!

I think it must be the shocks dont like that particular style of spring! have asked on a few merc forums but no response yet!

To be honest I just removed them and didn't look into anything else as it was too low for the wife. It hasn't knocked since with the eibach fitted.
The A3 sportback only had 30k when they where removed bud. Crap one for you bud

my car has only 38k on it so shocks etc still really good, I will get new springs/coilovers ordered by this evening

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Maybe it's possible not that there sitting at a lower height and in a loose spot or just don't like being at that height.

Also ideally when lowering the car should be put on a ramp where the weights on the wheels and the suspension arm bolts on the ends with rubbers bushes should be loosed and tightened up again so the bushes are stressed when sitting there.

It's more likely to be another component not likely the new height, there doesn't seem to be any rattle complaints online.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Those coils act like a helper spring to hold it in place when unloaded.

H&R tend to have comparitively higher spring rates, so it may well be the shocks not playing ball.

Are sure its drop links suffering from the lower ride height?

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO

H&R tend to have comparitively higher spring rates, so it may well be the shocks not playing ball.

Drop links go often enough in the previous mercs

Rattle like a b@stard. Also you my not find them loose when it's up on a lift. Often only feel them loose when the cars on the ground and suspension weighted

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Maybe it's possible not that there sitting at a lower height and in a loose spot or just don't like being at that height.

Also ideally when lowering the car should be put on a ramp where the weights on the wheels and the suspension arm bolts on the ends with rubbers bushes should be loosed and tightened up again so the bushes are stressed when sitting there.

It's more likely to be another component not likely the new height, there doesn't seem to be any rattle complaints online.

how come all the other mercs using apex springs have no issues though on standard shocks, its def not droplinks either as it was checked, and everything is in good condition and built up properly,

i am having the standards refitted though for now

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
how come all the other mercs using apex springs have no issues though on standard shocks, its def not droplinks either as it was checked, and everything is in good condition and built up properly,

i am having the standards refitted though for now

Maybe it's just a problem with your shocks at that height.

As I said the car may have to be on its wheels to find play in the drop links. Worth a try.

J55NI

RMS Regular
Car looks great at that height @euge07 , How do you find it drives? Auto? Tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full.

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Car looks great at that height @euge07 , How do you find it drives? Auto? Tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full.
Have cleared it now! It was lovely to drive until it was lowered. Yea it is auto, I drive it in sport mode all the time. Mines is hard enough on fuel. Very comfortable with heated leather etc

J55NI

RMS Regular
Have cleared it now! It was lovely to drive until it was lowered. Yea it is auto, I drive it in sport mode all the time. Mines is hard enough on fuel. Very comfortable with heated leather etc

Whats the auto box like in them? Its always hard to tell just on one test drive.

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Whats the auto box like in them? Its always hard to tell just on one test drive.

it's my first auto car so I have nothing to compare it too, but it seems a bit revvy of itself, id like it to change gear a bit sooner than it does sometimes

I can't get over the crap fuel economy o mine. This was my journey to work this morning.
tmp_22787-20170321_0841272063517472.jpg

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
it's my first auto car so I have nothing to compare it too, but it seems a bit revvy of itself, id like it to change gear a bit sooner than it does sometimes

I can't get over the crap fuel economy o mine. This was my journey to work this morning. View attachment 140782
Why buy a diesel if the mpgs that bad? Unless it likes ribena of course.