MG Midget - 570hp/tonne

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Excellent! Saw your posts on social media and didn't realise you got the car fixed between races! Fair play!

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Thanks Folks, just ordering new Parts this morning to begin rebuilding the back end & a new Exhaust from Simpson :grinning:

Here is Another Video showing how evenly matched the RSR and Midget for straight line pace, he definitely has the legs on me over 100mph.

Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Is that due to gearing, grunt or aero? Probably a combination of all 3 tbh. Good to see some close racing in that class at kirkistown though. (y)

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Is that due to gearing, grunt or aero? Probably a combination of all 3 tbh. Good to see some close racing in that class at kirkistown though. (y)

Definitely Grunt (cc's) and Gearing, My Ratios are not ideal (4th and 5th are too tall) but working on sorting that for next season now..

stevyg

RMS Regular
Awesome job Ian. You earned that win after getting it back on track. It's hard to enjoy track days anymore when you have close racing like that, hard to beat!

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Was gonna say, Kirky (and Mondello) are really circuits that need a short final drive whereas the mainland tracks are generally tall.
We had to fit a much lower final drive to any cars that had been used on the English tracks.

MagicRat

RMS Regular
Drives
JapScrap
Those would do alright, Zetecs can get around the 210/220 mark now. Not the heaviest engine either.
The 37S was a long tail car, the 42S was a shorter tail and the 47 was a wider track car. All of them lovely shapes TBH but I have a soft spot for the 37 obvs.
Edit: Just had a search for a side on pic of the 37 and it's the TDR car. Looooooong tail..
View attachment 296297 :cool:

Now for sale on Racecarsdirect Crosslé 37S, 1979 Sports 2000/Thundersports

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Holy crap, last raced in 1987, that will be when I prepared it for the Crossle 30 year Anniversary race meeting. :cool: I'm now the same age as TDR was back then IIRC. :worried:

diam0ndstar

RMS Member
Hey guys! recently came upon this thread due to a search on a diffuser on a midget and i noticed the front lip design, and i thought id add my .02.

So, i saw the bottom of the front lip and noticed it was a fiberglass shell. i liked the design but for racing around a track, have you thought of possibly running a shell without the front lip to allow more air to cut around the car...or keeping the lip but adding more air intakes to reduce drag. it doesnt seem the front lip was curved to the side of the body so i just imagine some drag at the bottom there. might be worth testing 🤷‍♂️

just looked back at the pick of you throwing it in a corner on page 9 and was thinking you could (if removed lip) possibly play with the arc of the lower wings (there the lip attaches to the original body) to where the air directs more to the ground.

love the rig and i plan on reading through the thread some more. cool to see a midget like that

-jeff

Reactions: IL

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
Hey guys! recently came upon this thread due to a search on a diffuser on a midget and i noticed the front lip design, and i thought id add my .02.

So, i saw the bottom of the front lip and noticed it was a fiberglass shell. i liked the design but for racing around a track, have you thought of possibly running a shell without the front lip to allow more air to cut around the car...or keeping the lip but adding more air intakes to reduce drag. it doesnt seem the front lip was curved to the side of the body so i just imagine some drag at the bottom there. might be worth testing 🤷‍♂️

just looked back at the pick of you throwing it in a corner on page 9 and was thinking you could (if removed lip) possibly play with the arc of the lower wings (there the lip attaches to the original body) to where the air directs more to the ground.

love the rig and i plan on reading through the thread some more. cool to see a midget like that

-jeff

The purpose of the front lip is to add front downforce to increase grip on the front axle, more downforce usually always means more drag but can be reduced or increased by the angle and size etc. Air vents that you mention will increase drag not reduce

Looking at the front end of Ian's Midget and the fact that the lip is molded as part of the front clip looks very efficient for it's purpose imo

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Not an aero expert by any means, but as far as I understand it there is basically the airdam approach, and the diffuser approach.

The airdam, which is basically what this car has, directs air at the front away to the sides, creating local pressure on the lip (downforce).

A diffuser channels and accelerates air from the front underneath the car through cleverly placed vents, reducing pressure underneath the car (downforce).

The latter is more efficient, but the former much easier.

The latter needs a flat floor underneath, and carefully designed ducting. I don't know how you even do that without simulation and probably a wind tunnel.

Plenty of in between approaches too from what I can see but hard to say if they really work. A trial and error thing I suppose.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Hi @diam0ndstar

Thanks for the interest and input...

I think working at any Aero enhancements on this car are pretty wasted, you mention the splitter drag but you are essentially pushing a fairly large flat fronted area through the air with the midget shape.. without spending a fortune on wind tunnel testing and 10x evolutions of the bodywork which is hugely time consuming and therefore costly - it is club privateer motorsport after all!

Benefits would be marginal in my eyes in comparison to tuning the suspension side of things, Gearing or adding More Power

Should I decide I wanted to go for a more aerodynamic front end, I could consider changing to the second option for these cars which is based the Midget Lenham, it looks great but it looses the connection with the MG Midget it is based on.

4634502912_781x522.jpg

Last edited:

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
That’s actually class, where do you race it?

I only took delivery of the car middle
If 2020 so I have only done 1.5events in it due to covid, so it’s only been raced at Kirkistown..

I built the car to race it in England, but who knows when that will be able to happen again, plus there is now talk of Carnets /
payments being required to ‘export’ the car temporarily to race anywhere but N.Ireland due to Brexit.

I am sure it will all work out but at the moment I’ve no idea when I’ll get it out again..

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I'm sure the ANICC are bound to be looking into the Carnet situation as it'll effect all branches of motorsport.
I was thinking that if you drive a car to an event as road rally & targa cars would normally do, it shouldn't need a carnet. Thing is, the only events I have used a trailer for are the ones I've done in Wales and it would be hard to argue that it's not a dedicated competition car when it's on a trailer. :rolleyes:

Back on topic, hopefully we all get out for some action this year. 🤞

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
I'm sure the ANICC are bound to be looking into the Carnet situation as it'll effect all branches of motorsport.
I was thinking that if you drive a car to an event as road rally & targa cars would normally do, it shouldn't need a carnet. Thing is, the only events I have used a trailer for are the ones I've done in Wales and it would be hard to argue that it's not a dedicated competition car when it's on a trailer. :rolleyes:

Back on topic, hopefully we all get out for some action this year. 🤞

Yes all in the same Boat, I’m sure it will all get sorted..

Even it is the requirement, over time it will become easier and no big deal, but at the moment it seems like a lot of admin and fear of the unknown.

Bursting to get out again - but struggling to source parts at any rate at the moment for the winter upgrades so glad there is no pressure.

IL

RMS Regular
OP
IL
Drives
981 GTS
Can anyone point me in the direction of a local company that sells pneumatic components?

Simple part, but I need a nut collar to mount this SMC air Regulator? I’d image it’s similar to other models / plumbing parts.

SMC website spec does not give the thread type / pitch just the details of the port sizes.

Attachments

• BF213E9F-E717-4D33-98B0-4F63DCC3A5BB.jpeg
    BF213E9F-E717-4D33-98B0-4F63DCC3A5BB.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 65

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Another one to try for pneumatics is Brammer in Belfast, they have most stuff