MG Midget M3 (Tax Exempt!)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Christ on a bike! :eek:

Seen this on the MG owners forum, its a 1972 MG Midget for sale on Ebay with full E36 M3 Evo engine and running gear! Thats like 320bhp in like 750kg!!! :scream:

Link to the Ebay ad:

I like the sellers description lol:

Warning: This car re-defines your perceptions of savage acceleration. It is not for the faint hearted. You will need a large set of danglies to get the best out of it.

Very noisy, exceptionally fast and great fun to drive. Originally based on a 1972 RWA Midget (tax exempt), the car is an immensly strong steel chassis with fully independant and fully adjustable custom built suspension all round (camber, caster, toe-in, height and bespoke-built shock absorbers all adjustable) together with AP racing front brakes, BMW rear brakes and adapted MG Midget rack. The running gear is all BMW e36 Evo including 320 bhp 3.2 litre straight six, with six speed gearbox, LSD and BMW driveshafts. Even the propshaft is BMW, but shortened by several metres! The v5 document shows the M3 engine number and capacity. It has custom made highly lightweight 18 inch wheels and decent tyres. The car was substantially completed in 2008 by a custom car builder in Glasgow over 5 years. I picked it up and bought it down to my house in Buckinghamshire and since then have spend two years developing the handling of the car and sorting loads and loads and loads of detail stuff out to make it a road legal and driveable car. You can see it has a fabric hood (wickedly expensive), Moto Lita steering wheel, vinyl covered twin tube roll bar and the car is fully road legal with MOT to June 2011 (I am happy to get another 12 months MOT on it if required). Oh and it even has a heater!
The car is substantially complete, the main things left are:-
1. Completing the interior. I have done the hard bespoke bits of the interior, all that is left to do is fit the trim kit and carpets (which I have and will come with the car).
2. You will see from the photos one of the wheelarch extensions has been damaged, the last owner dropped a pole on it.
3. The bonnet fit is not brilliant around the bulkhead and could do with improving and I would want to fit a grille to the bonnet as well, although not essential.
I dont need to sell but I dont enjoy bodywork. However if there is no interest above the reserve I have set, then I will get the car finished and probably take it further, I just fancy a change in project.

Warning: This car re-defines your perceptions of savage acceleration. It is not for the faint hearted. You will need a large set of danglies to get the best out of it

!CCzIn-!CWk~$(KGrHqEOKowE0flj8+qYBNM,OywcT!~~_12.JPG

!CCzJCqQBWk~$(KGrHqEOKowE0flj8+qYBNM,QoUR,!~~_12.JPG

!CCzIiwwBGk~$(KGrHqQOKi!E0BmFDtFlBNM,OhNc(Q~~_12.JPG

!CCzIn)gCWk~$(KGrHqIOKigE0k3DETlUBNM,OyC6vw~~_12.JPG

!CCzIhG!CWk~$(KGrHqUOKpgE0VlzV(nPBNM,OcQ3yg~~_12.JPG

!CCzI3h!EWk~$(KGrHqIOKo0E0fis9nOWBNM,P0SzPQ~~_12.JPG

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Bonkers. Love the idea of it and some bit of work to get that engine in there.

It's ugly as sin though, especially the front and so much power in such a short wheelbase I'd be too scared to drive it.

It's bound to be a snappy b@stard.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I'd love the same build in a stripped E30.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
OP
Gavlar
linky no worky either... just links me back to the forum homepage...

Tried playing about with it there and can't get it to work, posted it on a few other sites and it works fine though :confounded:

paulmcmillen

RMS Regular
Drives
mk1 Leon Cupra
Tried playing about with it there and can't get it to work, posted it on a few other sites and it works fine though :confounded:

Put the link in a quote and it will skip the vBulletin plugin and give a good standard link...

Would be a savage car!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
People do the strangest things, lol :p

By the description, it sounds like a spaceframe with a Midget shell?

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
i actually like it lol rear is sweet, front could be better i suppose, wud be soem fun!!! and noise!!

Smog

RMS Regular
I dont think it looks "awful", I think it looks how it has to look, function over form and all that. He could spend endless money making it look "good" for a few people, or he could leave it! Who gives a toss how it looks if it goes like hell. Would anysingle one of you actually turn down a drive in it over its looks?

seaside-racer

RMS Regular
Drives
discovery & wrx
I like the front though not so sure about the rear arches, if both sets of arches were the same style/shape I think it would look a whole lot better. Can only imagine how much fun that would be to drive, would be bordering on dangerous on the roads but on a track that thing would be a monster.

loud n low

RMS Regular
I think whats makeing it look a bit sketchy is the "max Power"style smoothing of the front arches into the bumper,a bit of fake stick-on carbon to make the arches black could help,or even paint the whole thing black and you got a mean little mofo of car...but then again with that engine its got HOOLIGAN written all over it :laughing:

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
A 39 year old 400bhp/tonne car and all you're worried about is how pretty it looks?
:confounded:

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Oh yes!!! Im going to have to change my boxers again from sex wee excitement and its only 5.30am. I have no doubt that goes like a rocket, but maybe too fast.

Personally id of had a Rover Tomcat 220 Turbo engine in it and a more subtle arch work, but my god its lovely. Id love a burn in it!

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
It is said that it still drives like a midget too.

Hanging onto something with that power and the same wheelbase as a mini has got to be exciting.

We've just started a 200 hp k-series midget build.

jinjur

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 172
Looks like something that has been shat straight out of Chop Shop....

But, only the front IMO, the rear is bearable.

Shirley something better could be done with the front, looks like someone ran out of inspiration.

Bound to go like a loony bin.

A

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
It is said that it still drives like a midget too.

Hanging onto something with that power and the same wheelbase as a mini has got to be exciting.

We've just started a 200 hp k-series midget build.

OH YES!!!! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Are you using the 185bhp ish lotus engine with fixed cam timing or is it a modified KV6? Id love to know some rough plans on that one! :cool:

Gavlar

RMS Regular
OP
Gavlar
That sounds awesome NineK! Get a build thread up! Is the KV6 not a heavy engine though? I was gonna say use a T16 but that thing weighs a tonne lol

I really like the rear of the Midget (y)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.