Mid life crisis - full system build!

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
At 35, it seems like a great time in my life to build a sound system :laughing: I have a bit of previous experience with boot builds back when I was 17 and used to do them for friends back in the day, so I thought I would put up a build thread, to get some advice and maybe give some inspiration to others.

The system is going in my daily, a VW Amarok. This in itself poses an immediate challenge, as there is no boot, so the sub options are very limited. There is 110mm of space behind the rear seats, and that's what I've got to work with. Custom box it is then!

The next challenge is bringing a quality signal from the factory VW Discover Media head unit. This is where I need some help! Am I over complicating things worrying about bass roll off and over equalisation from the factory unit? At it's simplest, I can easily take a high level input straight into my chosen amp. But will I lose bass at higher volumes without something like an AudioControl LC2i? Another option is something like a JL Fix, which can capture all of the signals from the factory unit and completely flatten them; but do I then need a DSP to tune the system? As I say, maybe I am over complicating things! @Cartunes

As for the system itself, I have settled on the following:

- Single sub: 13.5" JL Audio 13TW5. Mounting depth of just 65mm. 600w RMS power handling

- High quality front components: Hertz Mille Legend MLK 165mm. Very respectable 150w RMS power.

- System amplifier: JL Audio XD1000/5. Bridged this will give me rms power of 200w x 2 for the components and 500w at 3ohm for the sub. SO it should really thump! The amp has built in active crossover capability, I will prob run it passive to begin with but mount the Legend crossovers beside the amp so it's a simple re-wire to go Active in the future.

Updates to follow - hope to make something like this for the sub!

98F56462-E355-4255-90FA-25A98F4FD9E3.jpeg

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
Look into some of the hertz amps think they can take a stereo signal and process it

Or the likes of an audison bit ten digital processor

I had one in the vxr8 and wife’s a4 to keep the factory headunit

Have an xfire dsp pro in the current daily and it’s
Grand too

-Pete-

RMS Regular
I have a just serviced genesis 5 channel sitting in its box waiting for a new home if anyones interested. An excellent all in one solution for this type of install.

Funny I actually put a full build into my own car recently too. Started out with the genny amp then couldn't help myself and bought a full compliment of amps and processors for a fully active set up and a couple of jl audio 12w6 in the boot . Puts the biggest smile on my face, can't believe I didnt do it sooner. I forgot how ***** standard systems are compared a proper install

• Love
Reactions: Rob

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
Look into some of the hertz amps think they can take a stereo signal and process it

Or the likes of an audison bit ten digital processor

I had one in the vxr8 and wife’s a4 to keep the factory headunit

Have an xfire dsp pro in the current daily and it’s
Grand too

I can’t get my head around all these different processors, AudioControl LC2i, Audison Bit Ten and JL Fix 82. Do they all do the same thing or are they apples and oranges? And how do I know what I need? 🤯
I have a just serviced genesis 5 channel sitting in its box waiting for a new home if anyones interested. An excellent all in one solution for this type of install.

Funny I actually put a full build into my own car recently too. Started out with the genny amp then couldn't help myself and bought a full compliment of amps and processors for a fully active set up and a couple of jl audio 12w6 in the boot . Puts the biggest smile on my face, can't believe I didnt do it sooner. I forgot how ***** standard systems are compared a proper install

LOVE this. Rain hail or shine, good day/ bad day... there’s nothing puts a smile on my face like music. Can’t wait to feel it driving me in the back!

-Pete-

RMS Regular
audiocontrol have some amazing bits of kit and almost a confusing amount amps and processors and have amps with built in processors which can take the low level (speaker inputs) but if you're serious Id just go for a processor that will feed off to your amp/s just for flexibility and ease of upgrade when you get the urge.

I ended up going for phoenix gold zx/ti amps for the mids and tweeters active with a gladen 1800 running the subs. got a phoenix gold basscube, ax406 active crossover and a phoenix gold eq232 30 band eq. I was tempted to go for digital processing and might in the future which i would recommend the helix dsp mkII if youre willing to spend the money. It took quite a while to gather up good versions of the old kit. even ended up getting stuff from italy and germany just to get it.

I bought that genny 5 channel with the intention of a single amp all in one system to keep it simple but it went right out the window :laughing:

purplea4T

RMS Regular
audiocontrol have some amazing bits of kit and almost a confusing amount amps and processors and have amps with built in processors which can take the low level (speaker inputs) but if you're serious Id just go for a processor that will feed off to your amp/s just for flexibility and ease of upgrade when you get the urge.

I ended up going for phoenix gold zx/ti amps for the mids and tweeters active with a gladen 1800 running the subs. got a phoenix gold basscube, ax406 active crossover and a phoenix gold eq232 30 band eq. I was tempted to go for digital processing and might in the future which i would recommend the helix dsp mkII if youre willing to spend the money. It took quite a while to gather up good versions of the old kit. even ended up getting stuff from italy and germany just to get it.

I bought that genny 5 channel with the intention of a single amp all in one system to keep it simple but it went right out the window :laughing:
Pete, what's the spec on the Genny? And a price please?

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
Done some more research and decided on an Audison Bit Ten, now ordered 💪 Hopefully it can be programmed by a complete noob!

-Pete-

RMS Regular
did you order it with the remote or just the processor on its own?

@purplea4T 4 normal channels which put out around 60 watts rms a channel and a dedicated sub channel which can be loaded down to 1ohm for the most power around the 450w rms mark. you can bridge the four channels to make them into 2 and get more power for a front end. Also helps the wiring kept to a minimum.
Its more than enough power for a big upgrade over a stock system.
It only came back from Gordon (aka the amp doctor) for a full silver service which just cost £140 on its own. I had wanted £400 before this madness started but id need £350 for it minimum which is still a bargain for a freshly serviced amp with warranty.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
One of the main reasons why I love my old v70 so much... build in sub in boot and it packs a punch and sound quality is epic for what it is!

I’ve had ICE setup growing up also and it makes driving so much more enjoyable when the music is good quality sound.

Looking forward to seeing your build finished

pablo

RMS Moderator
aftermarket head unit not an option instead of ******* around with high level inputs and processors?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
You absolute hero. I miss the boot build days! My 12W6v2 was just incredible.

Rain hail or shine, good day/ bad day... there’s nothing puts a smile on my face like music.

I’m the same. I just love getting out for a drive with some tunes on and a bit of bass. I put an 8” sub in the E53 X5 and It put a smile on my face every time!

-Pete-

RMS Regular
These were progress pictures before tidying the wiring up. I had to get it up and running first and then set up and tuned but I still need my boot on a regular basis so practicality was a priority, and I still have access to my spare if needs be.
Sub boxs just screw down and can be lifted in and out as needs be. I went for separate boxes so I could still get stuff down the length of the car if needed or if I was road tripping I could keep one sub and take one out and free up an extra bit of room

20200320_180350.jpg
20200322_154116.jpg

Attachments

• 20200322_154103.jpg
    20200322_154103.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 248

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Done some more research and decided on an Audison Bit Ten, now ordered 💪 Hopefully it can be programmed by a complete noob!

Good choice, have one in mine and its easy played with if you plug a laptop in.

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
Good choice, have one in mine and its easy played with if you plug a laptop in.

Have you any bother with white noise? Heard some bad reviews now online but then also heard it might have been a faulty batch of them at one stage!

Is there anyone in NI can tune my system if I get out of my depth near the end?

I think now I’ll just go active from the beginning and ditch the hertz crossovers!

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier after the tag...... I'm scared, I want out!!!!!!
🤣
I prefer simplifying but my pro chums like a lot of processing. Good luck with it buddy. Paul Houston ex SIM might be able to set it up for you. I dunno if he's amongst the RMS incumbents.

Rob

RMS Regular
OP
Rob
Drives
Amarok V6
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier after the tag...... I'm scared, I want out!!!!!!
🤣
I prefer simplifying but my pro chums like a lot of processing. Good luck with it buddy. Paul Houston ex SIM might be able to set it up for you. I dunno if he's amongst the RMS incumbents.
Yes I remember Paul, wonder how I would track him down!

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Have you any bother with white noise? Heard some bad reviews now online but then also heard it might have been a faulty batch of them at one stage!

Is there anyone in NI can tune my system if I get out of my depth near the end?

I think now I’ll just go active from the beginning and ditch the hertz crossovers!

My last install had a Sony CDX C90 reference unit which was immaculately silent so yes the bit ten compared to that there's white noise.

However you'd need to be sitting with engine off and volume up high with nothing playing to even faintly hear it so it really isn't a thing.
No idea if mine is normal or part of a batch as I got it off ebay but its a great tool to keep standard HU and run a system.
Been ages but from memory there's a noise track you play during setup and the unit uses that to clean out any HU noise.

I'd to dig about on net for ages to get the setup stuff as mine never came with the CD so I have them here somewhere if you're in similar situation.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
I don't think you would struggle too much with it just to get some basic tuning improvements made. it's not too hard as long as you follow some basic tips to get you started

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I've a garage full of stuff, 3 big Phoenix Gold XS's, a 2 channel, a 4 and a 6! Focal subs, Alpine fronts, haven't the time to build it though.
I'd a wee Clio in the early 00s, 4 JL audio 12w3's in 1 box, 2 big Caliber amps like radiators and 6s in the front doors, Basscube and line drivers, it cracked screens for fun, not a photo to be had of it now.