Mig welder

mightymetro

RMS Regular
Drives
F31 320D, 91 MX5
@lightning have a big birthday shortly, welder is on the shopping list. Looking a Mig or was maybe something that can do stick+mig. Hobby standard but with euro torch. Have you anything in that you'd recommend?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Is gas readily available? I remember dad having to have a boc account for his torches

Yes. It's easy for anyone to get a BOC account, and if you use a decent amount of gas, they are the cheaper option despite the rental with the hobby/Volkzone type deals.

But there are other places like Hobbyweld or Stargas ( @lightning ) who offer gas but you pay an initial single bottle charge/deposit, and then you just pay for the gas thereafter.

However the gas does work out quite a bit more expensive. And certainly the regular Hobbyweld bottle, probably only has about 1/5 of the gas of a size Y BOC bottle. That refill is around £40-50, and the BOC is now around £55 for a refill.

So if you might use a lot, non BOC can represent pretty bad value. However if you do not use much, the lack of a rental charge ( circa £55 per year ) might sway things a bit if a bottle can last you 2-3 years.

I think Stargas pricing is similar to Hobbyweld. Both do offer larger/better filled bottles more akin to a BOC Size Y, but I think the initial deposit is pretty hefty.

Either way, there are options.