Mineral Grey LCI M2

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Conor

RMS Regular
Incoming long-winded ramble...

So, after a couple of years living abroad for the company I work for and generally barely being in one place long enough to sneeze, it's safe to say I haven't really been in a position to indulge in much car related activity for longer than I was happy with. I kept up with the car scene both here and in the US as closely as I could, but when you don't have something of your own to take pride in and enjoy, there's always something something missing.

I moved back home in December after the US project was finished up - a brilliant experience, but delighted to be home. Two full years out of 'nice' cars (Though I loved my F-150!) had me chomping at the bit to get back into something I loved. So the obvious choice was an E70 X5... ^o)

Somehow despite my yearning for something silly, I ended up in something comfortable/ sensible. I believe the thought process was something along the lines of having 15-20k miles a year to do, and I had the M3 in the garage for the craic. The X5 was great, but a distinctly underwhelmed/ bored feeling combined with a couple of regular but expensive maintenance issues began to leave a sour taste in my mouth about my choice. At 28 with no kids, WTF was I floating about in a Granda spec X5 for?

Trawling through the classifieds within days of buying the X5 consistently led me back to a car I still consider a bucket list car, and one I had wanted from the day they were released, an E92 M3. But their thirst and list of potential issues for what I needed booted them into touch pretty quickly. GTIs, Golf Rs, 335ds and all the usual suspects crossed my screen, but I couldn't get properly excited about any of them.

So at the beginning of March, I called in to Prentice on a complete impulse to simply have a look around the used lot. And unfortunately for my bank balance and I, in the showroom, there sat a Mineral Grey M2. The M2 has genuinely been a car I have lusted after since the day the marketing photos were released. There was something slightly ridiculous about them, awash with arches, bulges and intakes that lay somewhere between completely over the top and brilliantly and perfectly executed. It looked fast sitting still. A relatively big HP, turbo'd, RWD, slightly mental small M BMW just ticked so many boxes for me, far more so than the M3/ M4 did, though I love those cars too. I was in trouble.

At the time, I sat with Stephen in Prentice, and he quoted me a deal on it, which included trading in the X5. I refused the offer of a test drive as I was "only looking", and didn't want my head to be completely turned. I was (And still am :monkey:) in the middle of buying my first house, so at the time I asked Stephen to call me back in 6 months to see what the craic was then.

I absolutely could not get the car out of my head. My OH and mates were tortured with photos of M2s and subject to a relentlessly repetitive monologue of attempted self-convincing which always led to dismissing the idea, based on the timing not being right. As my lack of luck would have it, the X5 kept feeding me a fairly constant stream of small issues which gradually ebbed away at my restraint.

I called in to Bavarian one Friday morning a few weeks to pick up a part for the X5. Without really realising how, I found myself behind the wheel of the year old Mineral Grey M2 they had in stock. It was all a bit of a blur how that happened. :monkey:

Things escalated very quickly after that. A near hour long test drive thanks to Boucher traffic had me smiling like a loonbag. Then, Bavarian offered me a genuinely brilliant deal on a pre-reg car they had, and with some bargaining, ended up being a significantly better deal than the one Prentice had offered me a few weeks before. Yep, was definitely in trouble.

I called Prentice on my way home - they still had the M2 I had seen a few weeks prior in stock. I had gotten a great experience with Prentice previously, and wanted to at least give them a shot, and, if I am being really truthful, for various reasons I wanted to deal with Prentice. Stephen ended up beating Bavarian's deal fairly comprehensively - though slightly frustrated at the substantial difference in the deals offered by Prentice pre and post the Bavarian quote, I done the deal that morning after 2 hours of negotiating, and picked the car up a week later, on Good Friday. Prentice have been fantastic to date and Stephen Harkness has been extremely easy to deal with. They made what was something of a huge goal for me - to walk into a showroom and buy a new that car I really desired and wanted - a real pleasure.

To say that this car doesn't make sense to my current situation from a miles POV is a slight understatement. But frankly, the over riding feeling I have had since coming back that in the coming years I would regret not indulging in cars that I want to own, and indeed cars that I may not always be able to realistically own depending on how life goes, led me to taking the plunge. I hate cliches, but 'You only live once' is too apt to ignore here. I have worked hard and sacrificed much in terms of my personal life for my career in the last few years, about time I see some payback I reckon!

Spec (Above standard):

DCT
Heated electric memory Seats
Harmon Kardon
Folding Mirrors
Reversing camera
M-Performance Carbon Mirror caps
M-Performance black grills

With it being the LCI it also has the digital dash and updated dash layout, as well as the front and rear lights.

DSC02011 - Copy (1).JPG
DSC02012 - Copy (1).JPG
DSC02013 - Copy (1).JPG

DSC02027 - Copy (1).JPG
DSC02028 - Copy (1).JPG
DSC02029 - Copy (1).JPG
DSC02032 - Copy (1).JPG
DSC02037 - Copy (1).JPG

At the last minute I decided I wasn't going to waste a long Easter weekend looking out the window at it. I booked a trip to Sligo, literally just so I could get a good drive in it over a couple of days, in some beautiful scenery (To follow).

Last edited:

Conor

RMS Regular
OP
Conor
DSC02052 - Copy (1).JPG
DSC02053 - Copy (1).JPG
DSC02079.JPG
DSC02081 - Copy (1).JPG
DSC02084 - Copy (1).JPG
DSC02086 - Copy (2).JPG
DSC02090.JPG
DSC02094 - Copy (1).JPG

I have nearly 500 miles on it already. I will put up a full report at some point after more driving, but to say that I have been completely blown away by it is a total understatement. Quite literally the only negatives I have are that the road noise is pretty bad and at low speed, I find the DCT can be a bit clumsy.

The engine, the gearbox, and in particular, the suspension - I'm struggling to find fault. A mix of adrenaline/ excitement at having it is no doubt dulling my wits, which is why I'll hold off on any prolonged report until I get a few more miles in.

RevT

RMS Regular
I really do love these, and fair play to you for not sticking with the sensible option. (y)

I always play on the safe side but in a couple of years time it may all change as we get back on our feet after buying our first house.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Mega!

Congrats Conor, some change from the wee Civic you had when I first met you at Sprucefield about 10 years ago!

Enjoy.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Awesome @Conor well done, sounds like you got the deal you wanted too ;)

You’re 100% right, no point in all the hard work and no toys to have fun with !

Conor

RMS Regular
OP
Conor
Lovely! Where did you take it a drive in the last few photos?

Thanks! Glencar Waterfall, Aughrim Head (Beach Bar) and Pollnadivva Pier. It's part of the Wild Atlantic Way in Sligo. The roads were absolutely superb, barely came across a pothole the entire drive. It's really stunning down there

Mega!
Congrats Conor, some change from the wee Civic you had when I first met you at Sprucefield about 10 years ago!

Enjoy.

Ha, sitting in the CSL is genuinely still a point of reference for my BMW M obsession! Hard to believe that's 10 years ago.

Awesome @Conor well done, sounds like you got the deal you wanted too ;)

You’re 100% right, no point in all the hard work and no toys to have fun with !

Thanks mate. Yeah I did, thanks for the advice. (y)

Hahaha - you absolute lunatic. I love it (y)

Thanks bai! If Julie asks, I'm selling the M3. Not really though. :-#

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Beautiful mate and glad you got a better deal to sweeten the whole thing. And you're just right, enjoy these things now while you can :grinning:

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
These are lovely and you are absolutely right. You only live once socsoeze every desire and opportunity you can.

HTD

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Glencar is BEAUTIFUL. Katie and I were down that direction about a year ago for a few days and took a wee drive up there. Stunning roads and scenery, as you say.

Sonny

RMS Photographer
Awesome. Much want for one atm.. Decent roadtrip to take it on too. We stay at a house just down the beach from the bar. Roads are great on a clear morning or evening!

Sligo

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Fantastic Conor!

I think I’m the only person on the planet that can’t warm to the looks, but I can certainly appreciate them as an overall package.

Conor

RMS Regular
OP
Conor
And the bagged fabia from way back when.

Cracking motor Conor. Best of luck with it.

M3 in the garage, M2 on the driveway. Not too bad for a man in his twenties, full credit to you. (y)

Thanks mate, you're not doing bad yourself with the R! Will chat to you next weekend I'm sure. (y)

Fantastic Conor!

I think I’m the only person on the planet that can’t warm to the looks, but I can certainly appreciate them as an overall package.

Thanks lad. I really don't think photos do much for them. There's a presence to them in the flesh that photos don't quite capture, in my hugely biased opinion.

moglie

RMS Regular
Fantastic write up mate. Was fortunate enough to see this car in the flesh yesterday. Beautiful beautiful car.

A really nice change from the long beach blue M2s.

They really are a fantastic car. Amazing pace, handling and the looks are just perfect; squat, aggressive and perfectly proportioned.

Best of luck with it mate

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.