Mini Cooper D....opinions?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Gaz_DC5

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A7
Whats your thoughts and opinions on the Cooper D? The girlfriend is looking at them at the moment. Today we viewed a black one, 2007 with 20k on it, immaculate all round, priced at 12.5k with Chili pack and lots of extras. Do you think this is a good price from a dealer? Comes with a years warranty and 2 years free servicing.

Anything to look out for in particular with these? MPG looks good, and they seem nice to drive, wouldnt expect they give many problems?

Cheers

Wayne D

RMS Regular
Drives
Family Wagon
My Mrs bought a new one at the start of the year and she loves it. Its amazing on fuel, averaging 62.9MPG since she bought it in January. Seems well built and nice to drive.

Ryan8781

RMS Regular
You would be supprised get over to TotalMINI.com Anything and everything. They are very expensive to buy. I would like one think it would be great to have both a classic and a new one but to be honest would rather spend £10,000 (sometimes) on an e class merc or something.

big cyril

RMS Regular
We have had one from new, 22k miles on it now, one minor fault in that time which was fixed under warranty with no quibbles. Does a genuine 62mpg (as measured by me rather than the trip computer). Servicing pack means 150 max cost for the first three years and the road tax is £35 per year.
One of the nicest driving cars I've had (previous car was a 270bhp Impreza), obviously not quick but good handling.
Spec is quite individual so it's worth checking carefully eg some have xenons, heated seats, cruise control etc specified when new.
Space in the back is poor and the boot small if that's important to you, best for two really, doesn't really matter to me as we use it as a commuter car for me.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
I bought one new from Prentice BMW for the wife last year.

Decent wee car to be fair.

The Cooper D runs the customer PSA 1.6D engine, which is the same as Citroen / Peugeot's 1.6HDi and Ford's 1.6TDCi.

It handles pretty well and is obviously quite frugal with the diesel (almost as good as my wee C2 1.4HDi).

The only downsides are that it's not particularly comfortable for long journeys and the lack of back seat and storage space.

the road tax is £35 per year.

It's actually down to £20 now!

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
I bought one new from Prentice BMW for the wife last year.

Decent wee car to be fair.

The Cooper D runs the customer PSA 1.6D engine, which is the same as Citroen / Peugeot's 1.6HDi and Ford's 1.6TDCi.

It handles pretty well and is obviously quite frugal with the diesel (almost as good as my wee C2 1.4HDi).

The only downsides are that it's not particularly comfortable for long journeys and the lack of back seat and storage space.

It's actually down to £20 now!

Couldnt agree more. Old boss had one and it was great fun, had the Cooper bits fitted later, and drove wonderfully but you couldnt fit a midgit in the back seats comfortably and the boot space was as practical as a underwater hair dryer.

However was always the car we all wanted to borrow and drive. (y)

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
you do know it's a HDi engine that Mini use? nothing to do with BMW

HDi's can be a dog of an engine.

all the best, as the Mini's are great to drive etc

Gaz_DC5

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz_DC5
Drives
Audi A7
Thanks for the input guys, some really useful information there.

Yeah I heard its the HDI engine that citroen/ peugeot use but always thought this was particulary good as far as reliability issues are concerned- Have you had issues with one Coops or why do you think they can be bad?

I thought the comfort was quite good although was only in it for the test drive- the one we looked at is the Chili pack model, am I right in saying these have a sports suspension that is a little harder?

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
not a Mini in particular, just that engine.

once they get a bit of milage on them they give loads of bother but if the Mini you looked at only has 20k on it then it shouldn't matter yet. just something to think about.

all the best anyway

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
Well we sell parts for HDi Peugeots and Citroens day in, day out and to say the HDi engines as a whole are unreliable would be untrue.

I would say however that they need more care and attention than the likes of the older XUD or DW8 engines (IE - regular servicing using the proper oil etc) but that is simply as they are more advanced high pressure, common rail turbo engine.

HDi engines are branded as unreliable as they are mis-treated by some, namely clueless farmers who think it's ok to drive them for 50,000 miles between services, throwing in a pint of petrol station 20W50 oil every 6 months!

Gaz_DC5

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz_DC5
Drives
Audi A7
Cheers guys, I think I would have enough confidence to buy one with 20k on it! How do these take a good mapping? :imp:

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
The owner of the company I work for changed his 911 to one as the company is eco friendly and driving a gas guzzler didn't look good, he is always going on about the great MPG though he says nearly everyone he sees in one is a women lol.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Cheers guys, I think I would have enough confidence to buy one with 20k on it! How do these take a good mapping? :imp:

HDI mate. Just go up to felt to see how a basic ebay tuning box can turn a D-turbo into a Dragster. (y)

No seriously, they go well actually. Service intervals are essential if uprating.

Gaz_DC5

RMS Regular
OP
Gaz_DC5
Drives
Audi A7
This..........

It's over priced. Just look on Autotrader and those are the prices before you start haggling

Is this a Mini dealer????

Yes its from a dealer.

I have looked and I dont think its actually priced that bad. Show me a 2007 Cooper D with 20k on it thats a lot cheaper than the 12.5k stated? I cant find one, espeically a Chilli Pack. Sure there are a few around 12k but I am taking into consideration the years free servicing from the mini dealer and also the warranty provided. It does seem like a lot of money I agree but they seem to hold their money well.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Don't the gearbags give trouble on them if they're remapped (even more than without the remap?)

More than likely, Rover did 100% of the original design before BMW sold them off and took it with them. Should be a 197bhp Lotus derived head gasket tastic K series for the cooper models under that bonnet, none of this supercharged modern reliable engine crap. :party:

AFAIK The R56 (2007 until 2009 ish) had a much stronger gearbox than the ''R50'' aka mk1 cars. Shouldnt be a huge issue unless your hoking the dung off her. (y)

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
More than likely, Rover did 100% of the original design before BMW sold them off and took it with them. Should be a 197bhp Lotus derived head gasket tastic K series for the cooper models under that bonnet, none of this supercharged modern reliable engine crap. :party:

They don't even have the sooper now, they've got that piss-heap Pug 1.6 Turbo engine.

BMW are having a laugh, when you think about it. Overpriced, under designed Rover with French engines. Fail. :confounded:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
That's explain why my Cooper needed a new gearbox after 16k miles then and why gearbox issues are rife in Mini's :p

The wee petrol Chrysler engines are basic but generally considered a good unit, I believe the dervs are straight from a Yaris? 1.5D? The newest shape ones are all Pug/Citroen IIRC.

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
They don't even have the sooper now, they've got that piss-heap Pug 1.6 Turbo engine.

BMW are having a laugh, when you think about it. Overpriced, under designed Rover with French engines. Fail. :confounded:

Yes its quite funny whenever I seem the mk1 versions and think, humm, would that car have saved Rover?

Personally I think yes, it would have. :oops:

_ZS_

Drives
Mondeo, i30, MF1
Yes its quite funny whenever I seem the mk1 versions and think, humm, would that car have saved Rover?

Personally I think yes, it would have. :oops:

It wouldn't have, they'd still be using the 1.4 K, it'd have those stupid Rover electrical faults, and the inept dealers. :sob:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.