Mini excavator insurance advice

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
new digger arriving Monday and was looking to see if anyone has a recommendation for an insurance company? Already have public liability but wanting to insure the digger separately. Also if anyone has a 1.5t ish digger insured if they would say roughly what they are paying. The only online one I could see or use was jcb insurance underwritten by NIG coming in at 339 per annum
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky Glanza
Drives
BMX
Slightly off topic...but this was surprising they'd fit it in a van.

Cheers for that stevie 🤣 but yeah ours is even smaller too , it does have a good immobiliser system but at least if it is insured then your not as worried. You don’t think about these things when your only hiring one

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Cheers for that stevie 🤣 but yeah ours is even smaller too , it does have a good immobiliser system but at least if it is insured then your not as worried. You don’t think about these things when your only hiring one

Years ago a friend hired a cement mixer from a well known hire place......within 2 days it was stolen from his house.

My Dad hired a rotavator from same well know hire place.....that night it was stolen from the back of our house. And there is no way in hell that was random.

I'd say you really need to think of it when hiring, as both times the hire centre wanted paid full brand new price. The rotavator was actually found by a farmer a couple of weeks later at the far end of a field near the house. Which was equally weird.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky Glanza
Drives
BMX
Years ago a friend hired a cement mixer from a well known hire place......within 2 days it was stolen from his house.

My Dad hired a rotavator from same well know hire place.....that night it was stolen from the back of our house. And there is no way in hell that was random.

I'd say you really need to think of it when hiring, as both times the hire centre wanted paid full brand new price. The rotavator was actually found by a farmer a couple of weeks later at the far end of a field near the house. Which was equally weird.
Sounds a bit suspect alright lol we use Cyril Johnson just when we hire anything as I’ve asked the question and if anything goes missing it’s part of the hire price as h they must be insured , but yeah will ring round tomorrow to see if I can get insurance

neil-c

RMS Regular
new digger arriving Monday and was looking to see if anyone has a recommendation for an insurance company? Already have public liability but wanting to insure the digger separately. Also if anyone has a 1.5t ish digger insured if they would say roughly what they are paying. The only online one I could see or use was jcb insurance underwritten by NIG coming in at 339 per annum
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Do you own the digger or hiring it in? I have plant added specifically within our public and products liability insurance. It's with Zurich through a local broker. And I also have a Zurich hired in plant policy - it was cheaper to add this on with Zurixh rather than a stand alone policy. The stand alone policy was £500/yr but it was a 150-200 extra on our existing policy.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky Glanza
Drives
BMX
Do you own the digger or hiring it in? I have plant added specifically within our public and products liability insurance. It's with Zurich through a local broker. And I also have a Zurich hired in plant policy - it was cheaper to add this on with Zurixh rather than a stand alone policy. The stand alone policy was £500/yr but it was a 150-200 extra on our existing policy.
Yeah the digger is bought , might try the public liability crowd that’s a good shout 👍

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Years since I was involved with diggers but seem to remember digger insurance having quite a few niggly extras to watch out for; like striking cables and pipes, especially phone lines with dozens of wires. Would be worth asking about.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
OP
Nicky Glanza
Drives
BMX
Years since I was involved with diggers but seem to remember digger insurance having quite a few niggly extras to watch out for; like striking cables and pipes, especially phone lines with dozens of wires. Would be worth asking about.
Definitely worth asking about that side of it so good man , the only cover I’m really after is just theft so we can leave at jobs and not worry about it going into a transit as stevie pointed out lol it does come with a very good immobiliser and we will probably track it also but insurance would just be the final piece of the puzzle