MJs 1972 Beetle

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
So although this isn't technically mine, I want to start a thread for it so we can document the restoration and keep track of what we've done or need to do.

Basically MJ (my other half) has loved air cooed stuff for a very long time and has always wanted to build something cool.

With our wedding having to be put back another year and all the impending doom and gloom the news would have you believe is right around the corner she decided "if I don't buy something now, I never will." We started looking for a decent Beetle, something she could enjoy for the summer and then take off the road and restore and make it her own.

Came across this lovely gold example in Exeter last week and got in touch with the owner. Lovely fella, happily gave us a video call and walked us round the car pointing out all the wee issues and rusty areas and talked us through what all he had done to the car. After a chat between MJ and I, we negotiated a fair deal for the car and booked the boat to go and get it.

Had to call in a fair few favours to get this organised but we got there eventually. The fella was really nice and was genuinely gutted he was having to sell it but the car was awesome and both MJ and I fell for it straight away. Did the deal and set off back up the road in sheer amazement at what was now her new car :laughing:

20200711_155241.jpg

20200711_201813.jpg

20200712_093544.jpg

20200712_200701.jpg

It's a 1972 1300 Beetle in Maya Gold. The engine has been rebuilt to 1641cc with twin webers and an Engle 110 cam and it managed the journey home no problem at all. Hasn't been long built so will need the valve clearances checked and an oil and filter change so will get someone who knows their way round these to give it the once over for us. It's also on 4 way manual air suspension and has a disc brake conversion up front.

The bodywork is a bit rusty in places as you can probably see in the pictures above but what Beetle isn't a bit rusty before it's been restored? It's also got that super cool safari style opening front windscreen which is the strangest but most fun thing to cruise about with :cool:

The interior also needs a proper restoration but MJ has loads of ideas and plans for that.

For now she's gunna enjoy cruising about at weekends and having a laugh driving something that's nearly 50 years old but in the winter she wants to take it off the road and strip it right back to the bare bones and fully restore it. It's gunna be a long term project but will be well worth it when it's done and in doing so she can make it her own :blush:

Cheers,

Aaron

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Looks great! Seen your Instagram travels there wasn't sure if you were buying or visiting or what you were up too haha.

Looking forward to seeing progress and it out and about!

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
Thanks everyone.

Here's a few more photos I took yesterday before we tucked him away...

20200713_082835.jpg

20200713_082926.jpg

20200713_083022.jpg

20200713_083120.jpg

20200713_083137.jpg

20200713_092831.jpg

Ignore the missing center cap on the passenger side, it's in the glove box because it doesn't sit flush with the speedo sensor but I forgot to put it back on for photos lol

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
Haha thanks man.

I'll not lie, you know you're driving something that's near 50 years old. The gearbox is like stirring soup so with the big silly knuckle duster shifter its mental. There's a bit of play in the steering also so you feel like you're constantly adjusting the wheel going up the road and the pedals feel a bit heavy but I suppose that's to be expected. All simple enough fixes though so I'm happy to sort that out when she takes the body off for restoration.

All that said it happily sat between 55 and 65 the whole way up the motorway and wasn't even that hard on fuel :grinning:

jayme

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini/ A7
Awesome man, glad to see some good came out of the situation. If you ever need anything reverse engineered or looked at id be happy to offer my time to something as cool as that!

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
Awesome man, glad to see some good came out of the situation. If you ever need anything reverse engineered or looked at id be happy to offer my time to something as cool as that!

Thanks Jayme. Might take you up on that offer 😁

Class Aaron 🥰

Cheers Fred

Lovely! Beetles are what started my love for cars.

Cheers Brian, I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into some simple engineering with it. The fact you can do literally everything on this car yourself without the need for fancy diagnostics or computers fills me with joy. MJ has even said to me if I really want to I could take a night class and learn how to weld 😁

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
So MJ got her log book through today for the Beetle. Quickest turn around I've ever seen! Also took her wee brother a spin in it and he thinks it the coolest thing ever!

Been looking at the parts for these online and the sheer amount of stuff you can get for these to rebuild them is incredible! I can see the wedding fund getting a right hammering in this next year 🤣

Also reminded me I need to check the valve clearances so I'll have to figure out how to do that or get someone to do it for me (any recommendations?).

She's heart set on doing a full body off resto because she completely loves it and wants it to be perfect so deffo going to strip it down in the winter.

On that topic actually, is there somewhere any of you would recommend for sand blasting a bodyshell when I have it stripped?

Cheers,

Aaron

Boksic

RMS Regular
Class.
I have a 1303s in approximately 4 million pieces, I'll get onto it sometime before I die hopefully.

Windscreen is super cool.
Hope you both enjoy it, and at least that's one less wedding car you'll have to rent when the time comes 👍🏻👍🏻

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Must've been a mass NI log book post out our something because I got mine from about 6 weeks ago there today too 😒

I wonder how similar the engine layout is to that of my air cooled monster 🤔

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
OP
veedubnoodle
Drives
her crazy
So you get an A3, MJ gets a Beetle.

Seems a little bit one sided if you ask me

Haha sure I wasn't going to say no to a completely mad project as long as I could drive it. I keep her going referring to it as our Beetle 🤣

i might have some bits and pieces might be of use to you since i sold my vert. proper swedish stainless rear guards and some other cal look bits.

love the colour

That would be awesome man, thank you 😁