Mk 1 Golf Vid & mk2 now

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Adam

RMS Regular
Saw that on MIG last week. Its a weapon. Not bad for a 1.8 16v Turbo! It has just over 500bhp.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Before the Focus I was set on building a 1.8 20v turbo mk1 Golf but the price for the conversion was absolutely rediculous so I abandoned that idea!

Twain

RMS Regular
scrob said:
Before the Focus I was set on building a 1.8 20v turbo mk1 Golf but the price for the conversion was absolutely rediculous so I abandoned that idea!

how much was it all costing lad, im toying with that idea meself, still at the dreaming stage but working out some potential cars i would like to own after uni.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Well I spoke to about 10 places about having it done..about 8 of them told me they just couldn't do it, and the other two were looking in and around 5 grand each for the engine conversion! I near shat the bed, so gave up on the idea. Apparently its an absolute nightmare to wire in. And needless to say nobody local wanted to take on the job either..Oh and that wasn't including the price of supplying the engine, gear box or loom :roll:

Twain

RMS Regular
holy s**t, thats very expensive, better off getting a twin bike engined mini for an extra few grand....now that would be a crazy first car, dunno what insurance company would say when ya ring them up tho..'yeah, its a mini, yup two r1 engines...and yeah of course ill drive carefully' lol

maybe when ive a bit more cash ill invest in something like the mk1 golf with a high powered engine in it, would be mad.

Minikid

RMS Regular
Drives
Choopay
Theres an single R1 engined mini for sale in the mainland as we speak.
Its a beast-think it ahs around the 150bhp mark.
r12.JPG

Picture%20051.jpg

£ 10,995 ONO
MATT

Twain

RMS Regular
11 grand is a lot of money for such a wee car but im sure it would handle great and shift even better. ill get one of these in a few years time if my career takes off

Harry

RMS Regular
Drives
V8
Holy good ****, that mk1 can fairly shift! The speedo in one of the shots looks like the flippin rev counter it shoots round so fast!

Tufty

RMS Regular
OP
Tufty
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
good old vw`s scrob u could fit the engine ur self for a good price i know some1 who would help u do it. was only costing 2 grand to do mine but i pulled out bcus its something i want to do later on in life.

RMS_CLK

RMS Regular
scrob said:
Well I spoke to about 10 places about having it done..about 8 of them told me they just couldn't do it, and the other two were looking in and around 5 grand each for the engine conversion! I near shat the bed, so gave up on the idea. Apparently its an absolute nightmare to wire in. And needless to say nobody local wanted to take on the job either..Oh and that wasn't including the price of supplying the engine, gear box or loom :roll:
Crap engine in standard form in my opinion, reliable enough but pretty gutless. But they are being hailed as the new cosworth engine because they are so cheap to tune up to big power. Wouldnt have a mission of wiring one in with a standard loom, due to the imobiliser which is built into the dash, engine ecu, keys, ign barrel etc. Probably could do it, but for the hassle you'd just get an aftermarket management system, which would prob be on the to-do list anyway. Seen a mk2 20vt for sale on e-bay cheap recently.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
modireland.net said:
scrob said:

how much was it all costing lad, im toying with that idea meself, still at the dreaming stage but working out some potential cars i would like to own after uni.

Theres plenty of 20V T's on the mainland, quite a few places will do the whole conversion for about £8000. There were a few issues of PVW where an American company talked you through the whole process... they reckoned it was pretty easy. The only problem is the wiring but they sorted that in no time.
Two of the fastest Golfs in the land:

http://www.performancevwmag.com/videos/video_16.mpg
http://www.performancevwmag.com/videos/video_14.AVI

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.