Mk1 focus exhaust blowing out at the front

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Hey all my bro just bought a mk1 1.6 petrol focus and its got a little blowout up around the front somewhere. Ive had a tentative look under and was assuming it was the flexi joint but cant see any evidence of blowing (normally see some soot or something right?) I also popped the heatshield off to look for signs but was all clean inside.

Question is whats the most common failure point here? To my ear it sounds like the manifold -> head gasket area but sounds play tricks on you in an engine bay.

Any experience with these? Cheers.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
It is likely it is the manifold, my mate had the same issue on his mk1 a few years back. It was the seam weld where the pipes come together, probably underneath. His was handy fixed from memory.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Yea I’d a similar issue on my old 1.6, the manifold itself was rotten and had various pin holes as well as leaking at the flexi joint. They’re not expensive and fairly handy to replace to be honest.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
cool, Ill pull it off and take a look, if its blowing Im guessing I can find someone with a welder to plug it up a bit? Its only a runabout so wouldnt need to be pretty

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Could it just be the manifold gasket itself? Handy fix if it was.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
cool, Ill pull it off and take a look, if its blowing Im guessing I can find someone with a welder to plug it up a bit? Its only a runabout so wouldnt need to be pretty

I have vague recollection that my brother welded it for him and it was handy enough to get at and do.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Think we have found the culprit

67216B67-F239-4E19-BE6F-CE2F54AB798F.jpeg
9B53EB6C-C247-4B43-B583-6BAC4D64A890.jpeg

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
To be fair, I’d probably just replace the flexi if it was mine. They’re available on eBay for humble money too. I’ve bought a few for various motors and I’m yet to have an issue with them.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
To be fair, I’d probably just replace the flexi if it was mine. They’re available on eBay for humble money too. I’ve bought a few for various motors and I’m yet to have an issue with them.

repair piece is £30 on its own and this is a straight swap vs cutting the old one and having an extra join etc. Hopefully the flanges are flat lol.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
repair piece is £30 on its own and this is a straight swap vs cutting the old one and having an extra join etc. Hopefully the flanges are flat lol.

Have a big tube of exhaust paste to hand during assembly, just to be sure... lol

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Im sure this is made of recycled tinfoil but will do the job for a while at least. For £35 inc post its worth a punt

EEC Front Exhaust Connecting Pipe + Gasket Set FR7505 - 5 YEAR WARRANTY | eBay

s-l500.jpg
I told you they weren’t expensive lol. That’s exactly why I replaced the one in my wife’s focus rather than stick a repair section into, the cost of the repair section and paying someone to weld it in for me was more expensive than the full manifold! Plus it’s not a hard job to do as I said before.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
when I pulled the old one out I had to grind off the bottom bolts where it meets the centre section. not a lot of fun :worried:

I reckon 20 mins would swap it now

-Pete-

RMS Regular
If you're stuck and can get the part to me, I'm in bangor. Depending what it is.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.