Mk2 Golf GTI 2.0 16v

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
You have it longer than I've had my licence lol.

Good to see you still enjoy it. You're bound to know the car inside out now. I love that about mine. Ive had every piece apart and renewed every bush, bearing, balljoint, brake pipe/hose, discs, pads, calipers etc bar the back axle. And thats only because i have a rear axle im building to have ready to swap over

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
20190420_111442.jpg

My wee golf 16v turned 30yr old but muted celebrations after the sudden passing of my friend Eddie who introduced me to all things mk2 golfs and 16v's in particular near 15yrs ago. He had a hand in everything that is done on this car, was a wealth of knowledge and happy to share it all with me but most importantly he was a great friend. RIP Eddie

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
View attachment 232635

My wee golf 16v turned 30yr old but muted celebrations after the sudden passing of my friend Eddie who introduced me to all things mk2 golfs and 16v's in particular near 15yrs ago. He had a hand in everything that is done on this car, was a wealth of knowledge and happy to share it all with me but most importantly he was a great friend. RIP Eddie

Heard the news late last night. Absolutely tragic and I’m in complete shock. Fantastic guy and was a pleasure knowing him over the last 10 years.

RIP my friend

F4232186-774B-42AC-AF82-3E37145973EE.jpeg

Ali170

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda surperb
seeing as there is a bit of a mk2 revival going on, may aswell get mine up seeing as ive been able to enjoy it once more now ive got the 2.0 running sweet as a nut - basically its been off the road for guts of 3 or 4yrs through 1 issue or another! still plenty to do but all in good time!

1989 mk2 Golf GTI 16v - Tornado Red

Engine
2.0 6a 16v
FastEddie ported & polished head
Autotech cams & pulley (currently on KR's for run in)
Schrick baffled sump & windage tray
G60 Airbox base setup
WUR adjusted
milltek 4-branch manifold
Supersprint exhaust system (large middle silence removed)

Suspension
Spax 40mm springs

Sachs Racing front & Bilstein Sprint rear shocks
Eibach rear anti roll bar
OMP heavy duty front strut brace

Brakes
280mm brakes
Goodridge braided lines

Interior
Full Factory leather
VDO Gauges
Votex centre console
Italovanti Wheel

Wheels
Ronal R15's
BBS RM Splits

was at 157bhp when it was a 1.8 - now its
huh.gif
bhp

goes into hibernation at the end of sept
smiley.gif

DSCF3515.jpg

DSCF3520.jpg

DSCF3519.jpg

DSCF3517.jpg

DSCF3522.jpg
What a motor stunning.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Heard about this last night too, very very sad indeed, many a fun night/day spent with Ed, true loss to the motoring fraternity.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
View attachment 232635

Seriously?! I hadn’t heard, he knew his way round the mk2’s for sure, wasn’t a bad crater. Sorry to hear this.

micko

RMS Regular
Drives
B6 A4 / E30 320i
Shocked to hear about Eddie, Craig. Very sad. Was round his house many times when I has the golf's. Fountain of knowledge abouthat golf's and a perfectionist. RIP Fast Eddie.

Jethro

RMS Regular
Just heard about Eddies passing this afternoon from Mrs T.
Absolutely gutted and cant stop thinking about his banter at many of the Scooby Ireland meets over the years. A complete and utter madman in the nicest possible way. He was always ready to offer advice and help, never afraid to slag someone and could take an unbelievable amount of slagging back.
That little red Golf though was one of the best kept secrets ever, he was never afraid to show what it could do on the way home from a meet, but he would never say what it was putting out or what it was actually running.

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
Eddie. I was shocked to see mention of this on Facebook this morning. I hadn't seen him since Castlewellan a couple of years back and he gave me an extensive rundown on the details of his last Golf but I used to bump into him at Dave's in Sandown regularly when I was still in Belfast. We used to live close by and I actually sold my first car to him all the way back in 1986 when he was just a wee skitter. I wasn't sure if the Mini was going to survive the test drive.

Sad to know he's gone. R.I.P.

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
Give the golf an oil change, though while doing so looking around it reminds you of the bits n pieces you years ago before mapping came about, looking for all that extra wee bit of Bhp and also engine preservation... milltek 4 branch, vr6 lower Airbox setup, samco coolant pipes, schrick higher capacity baffled sump with windage tray.....and now it just tootles about anytime I have it out 🤣

20190527_110926.jpg

20190527_111010.jpg

20190527_111805.jpg

20190527_111720.jpg
20190527_111847.jpg

20190527_111828.jpg

20190527_114817.jpg

Rallyfreaks

RMS Regular
Drives
Golfs
Give the golf an oil change, though while doing so looking around it reminds you of the bits n pieces you years ago before mapping came about, looking for all that extra wee bit of Bhp and also engine preservation... milltek 4 branch, vr6 lower Airbox setup, samco coolant pipes, schrick higher capacity baffled sump with windage tray.....and now it just tootles about anytime I have it out 🤣

I'm the same with mine - only 100 odd miles between MOTs - spend more time tinkering on it than driving, so easy worked on. What grade oil did you put in - mines probably due a change sometime soon..

j44nty

RMS Regular

View attachment 237449

View attachment 237450

View attachment 237451
View attachment 237452View attachment 237453
View attachment 237454

View attachment 237455

Excellent.
I remember in the 90’s max power used to do a bit on pre and post service dynos. They got an old rover v8 up about 40 Bhp with plugs and a good flush.

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
so driving this the past week or two has had me mulling over what it is i actually want to do with the car. always said id never sell it - now im wondering what use the car actually is

remembering the car has 172k on it - albeit this is chassis miles only - nigh on everything else has been changed/rebuilt in the car in my time. its also originally a small bumper car that was converted to big bumper in late 90's so anybody looking originality etc will realise this but then its never gonna be an original car due to all mech modifications done to it

Options

1. Minty the car - This was always the original plan - get all remaining bodywork sorted & paint the whole car - though it'll cost circa 2-3k as its tricky bit of rust is on the roof in front of sunroof & along the scuttle - floor is all solid as this was all repaired years back. but then what happens after that - i just stuff it back in the garage (n)

but since driving it i've had a few other idea's

2. Turn it into a track car mainly but still MOT/Tazed - sell the leather interior, sell the splits and just use it for track days - mechanically then it would really on need a slip diff and ive a garage full of spares for it

3. Sell it as is - though still not sure i could but then it doesnt get the use it deserves its only used now as the subaru is off the road for a few weeks and to be fair its good craic driving but always feared of being hit, especially in rush hour, by another car as it literally will crumble

taking it up here at lunch to speak to Crawfords and see what they say bodywork wise

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I'd say track it otherwise its just an ornament really. Although then you've the scoob to track if u felt the need to track anything.
Sell up and make the scoob an all round car ? Track and daily ?

Last edited:

KJS

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Tiguan
Option 1 (y)and then ........

Option 4 : 1.8 Turbo it!!! :grinning:

Gambit

RMS Regular
OP
Gambit
taking it up here at lunch to speak to Crawfords and see what they say bodywork wise

so as i thought, they cant really take on resto projects - they already have a couple in - and due to a couple of factors wouldnt be in a position for quite a fair while to do anymore, but he wasn't to concerned about the level of work needed just that it wouldnt be anytime soon that they could do it - insurance jobs always take priority and he really only has 1 fella doing resto's

said what i really need is an aul hand who does all his own work and isn't always dealing with insurance jobs day in/day out - but these aul hands are few n far between nowadays

so MOT here on Monday then fook knows what ill do with it