MK2 Golf GTI 8v - Alpine White

Scherni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK2 Golf GTi
Good evening!

I finally picked up my 1990 GTI 8v.
On Saturday i drove down to Enniskillen and picked up the car i had been waiting all Christmas for (joys of missing V5c and a pandemic in Swansea/The World...)

This is the face of a 31yr old man finally driving his boyhood dream car!

I made the 1.5hr drive home to Belfast, where the car was amazing... didn't miss a beat mechanically.

However, it was in this time i started to take note of things that will need attention.. but I'll share the list later on
:o

Once home, i set about sorting out little things that i had already prepped for from my initial viewing of the car.

1. Changed the weird new style GTI badge to the original one.. (cant work out how someone put it on and stepped back and went - yes that's better than the original.. but hey ho, sorted it now)
Before:

After:

2. Changed the "leather" gear knob to a golf ball style one
3. Added a button blank to the dash as there was one missing randomly
4. Fitted roof bars and my bike rack for test fitting (sourced from P'Boro and couriered by my Dad in Ely)
5. Finally, my grandfather passed away this year, and when cleaning out his garage (he was car/plane mad) i found his old AA badge - so that went on the grille as a little memory to him
8)

Here's how its sitting now. (excuse the dirt haha)

On the to do list:
1. fix blower motor - the fan stopped on the way home. Removed it and cleaned up the connections on fan to resistor - worked for a bit.. also the connection to resistor seems slack and the fan works on and off if that connection is wiggled, any tips would be great thanks.
2. Squealing noise randomly at low speeds - intermittent again.. thinking something PAS related
3. Air Filter upgrade
4. Digifant tune using the guide.
5. Change the radio to a 90's Panasonic cassette player to get it back to its roots.
6. Fit Immobiliser/Alarm
7. Weighted Shift rod ordered - to fit.
8. Headlight Loom upgrade
9. Suspension drop -30mm with Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks.
10. More things to be added....

But yeh, i'll try to keep this updated - you can also follow me on Instagram on kwp_gti
;)

Scherni

RMS Regular
OP
Scherni
Drives
MK2 Golf GTi
(copied from another forum ✌️)

So tonight(Tuesday) was all about getting my boot lock to work. turns out the central locking pin wasnt sliding smoothly so would stick.
I Pulled It apart and greased it up a good'un. Works like a charm now on the central locking

While I was back there I reattached the rear washer pipe.. I needed to use some ingenuity.. adios tyre foam thing.. the plastic pipe was perfect to make it fit properly on the jet ..

Finally in the engine bay I fitted the weighted shift rod yesterday.. pictures included now

Also replaced the coolant temp sensor, the temperature gauge still doesn't work..
So that needs investigating.. bugger...

Finally I was advised to remove the dim/dip resistor to improve the headlight output.. so done that,
:)

but also have a headlight loom ordered to increase voltage to bulbs

Also fitted a K&N air filter but forgot to take photos again 🤦

Photo of a Tesco car park.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
I can't remember for the MK2 but I know for the MK3 there are a number of temperature sensors. The blue one is for the engine/ECU. The yellow is for the dash gauge.

Gambit

RMS Regular
Nice to see another mk2 on the forum (y)

Yeah as @natogreen16v says. Blue temp sensor is for ecu/engine. Black one is for dash temp. If you disconnect black one and just earth it it should send temp gauge to max which should at least prove it's the temp sensor at fault.

Rallyfreaks

RMS Regular
Drives
Golfs
Loving this, as said above great to see another Mk2 on the road.
Didn’t know that about the resistors on headlights...... so do you just remove/bypass to get brighter light??

My 16v is on Eibach springs, although personally I think it’s a bit too low and I’d be keen to go back to standard —-maybe I’m just too old!

Scherni

RMS Regular
OP
Scherni
Drives
MK2 Golf GTi
Loving this, as said above great to see another Mk2 on the road.
Didn’t know that about the resistors on headlights...... so do you just remove/bypass to get brighter light??

My 16v is on Eibach springs, although personally I think it’s a bit too low and I’d be keen to go back to standard —-maybe I’m just too old!
I removed mine and also have the uprated loom... Don't know whether the resistor removed did anything, but the loom is massive uograde with the Night Breaker bulbs!

I'm tempted by the springs and shocks, but at the moment I'm enjoying the standard look 🤘

Changed the radio from an ugly Kenwood cd player to a an 80s Panasonic tape player
IMG_20210110_152536.jpg

The speakers all need upgraded now, also have a Panasonic amp to attach to it along with matching Panasonic Passive crossovers that were fitted to Malcolm Young's (AC/DC) Jaguar... 🎸

Also fitted bonnet struts this morning.
Bonnet sits a little higher but the improvement is massive (unsure what the mark on the bonnet is.. need to check that)
IMG_20210110_104303.jpg

And this morning was spent tracking down why my fuel gauge and temp gauge don't work.. already changed the temp sender and not working.. dash has been out and contacts cleaned, had the fuel sender out and cleaned up the contacts there.. there's continuity going through it but none in the circuit to the sender.. think it's the earth so trying to source the issue...
IMG_20210110_084217.jpg

IMG_20210110_084224.jpg

IMG_20210109_093316.jpg
IMG_20210107_170155.jpg
IMG_20210107_155429.jpg

The search for the earth issue continues..

Also 8 ball gear knob fitted 🤘

IMG_20210107_204250.jpg

Needs a good clean now and to get fixed before settling up for the week

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Loving this thread. The headlamp loom is a great upgrade and I just left the resistor in place. Eibach/Bilstein B4 kit is one of the best compromise suspension systems around and I fitted one to the mk1 as well. If you have a service history check if the heater matrix has been changed; if not it would be worth doing as mine exploded on a run in 2019 30 years after manufacture. This is not a nice job and I know some people take the dash out. I left mine in and changed it this way but on the plus side I now have a fantastic heater as it had the bypass valve fitted previously.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Agreed get the quad headlight loom. Might sure you get the one with relays etc. Had it in my mk2 made such a difference

Scherni

RMS Regular
OP
Scherni
Drives
MK2 Golf GTi
Loving this thread. The headlamp loom is a great upgrade and I just left the resistor in place. Eibach/Bilstein B4 kit is one of the best compromise suspension systems around and I fitted one to the mk1 as well. If you have a service history check if the heater matrix has been changed; if not it would be worth doing as mine exploded on a run in 2019 30 years after manufacture. This is not a nice job and I know some people take the dash out. I left mine in and changed it this way but on the plus side I now have a fantastic heater as it had the bypass valve fitted previously.
Thanks for the heads up on the heater matrix! I have part service history on it but maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get it done early on 👍

I FOUND THE EARTH ISSUE!
earth pin in the fusebox on K/11 had come loose.. pushed it in 2mm and it's Lol working now 👍
THAT BLOODY BLUE AND BROWN WIRE!

20210111_113840.jpg

Fuel gauge is working a treat now!

Still holding off on the suspension setup .. thinking it'll be a sunny weather purchase and job when I can bothered to change it all haha

Update on everything.. (need proper photos)
Installed the instrument cluster again.. but the clocks not playing ball so it's either 1 of 2 things.m either the screen is in upside down or the screen is not for the MFA screen I have..(the removal of this dash is becoming second nature now haha thisll be the 3rd time)
IMG_20210111_201830.jpg

Also have ordered the LED upgrades for the interior car lights (dash,switches and fan control), staying green but will mean just making things last a bit easier to read.. apparently..

Also while I had the screen out, I had to solder a connection on one of the cluster bulbs.. so while that was out and hot I decided to fix my blower motor which only had on or off.. had bought some (5 just in case) thermal fuses as they blow meaning it can't resist the power input (hence the lack of fan speeds..) needed to be careful as they can blow under the soldering iron heat.. had a go, plugged it all back in and SUCCESS.. I HAVE ALL THE SPEEDS 💪 however the connection between resistor and fan is dodgy so needs a wiggle every so often.. next thing to fix haha
IMG_20210111_165843.jpg

Headlight loom has been fitted! Absolutely delighted with the upgrade! It only does the dipped beams but it's already a massive improvement with the night breaker bulbs 🤘

Plate holders to be fitted...
IMG_20210112_110117.jpg

Also sneak peek of some things to come...
IMG_20210112_110208.jpg
IMG_20210112_110133.jpg
IMG_20210112_115538.jpg

Will update again soon,

Peace

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
I think I saw this car for sale a few months ago outside a house in Kesh? Very cool. There can’t be many white ones. I love a MK2 GTI.

My mum used to have a red one from new when I was kid. I can still remember the day it was stolen, joy ridden and written off, then found in a field by the police.

Gambit

RMS Regular
The joys of mk2 ownership you can get stuck right to anything on them without fear (y)

The mark on the bonnet is caused by water kicking up from underneath when driving, gets onto drive pulley which then gets plastered all over the underside of bonnet.

There is a small pulley cover that mounts to chassis leg but it's always missing as its removed when doing timing belt and never refitted 99% of time

There is also a bonnet underfelt/sound deadening - most get remover as they get tatty looking over the years.

For your mfa just trying pulling fuse or disconnecting battery and leaving for a bit and it will probably reset on reconnecting.

Fans blow the regulators because water gets into the fan because of blocked drains in scuttle and then this causes the motor to tighten putting more strain on regulator. Check your scuttle drains and then wee bit of plusgas/wd40 can help loosen up fan spindle

If you dont want to go Eibach low @40mm then standard 16v springs are 15mm lower than 8v springs which you could probably pick up handy enough.

And if you ever come across someone selling a 2.0 bottom end - buy it, bang for buck one of the best things ever on the 8v and is literally a straight swap - you could probably pick them one for about £50-100

Cant wait to get mine out again nearer Easter 🚗

Scherni

RMS Regular
OP
Scherni
Drives
MK2 Golf GTi
The joys of mk2 ownership you can get stuck right to anything on them without fear (y)

The mark on the bonnet is caused by water kicking up from underneath when driving, gets onto drive pulley which then gets plastered all over the underside of bonnet.

There is a small pulley cover that mounts to chassis leg but it's always missing as its removed when doing timing belt and never refitted 99% of time

There is also a bonnet underfelt/sound deadening - most get remover as they get tatty looking over the years.

For your mfa just trying pulling fuse or disconnecting battery and leaving for a bit and it will probably reset on reconnecting.

Fans blow the regulators because water gets into the fan because of blocked drains in scuttle and then this causes the motor to tighten putting more strain on regulator. Check your scuttle drains and then wee bit of plusgas/wd40 can help loosen up fan spindle

If you dont want to go Eibach low @40mm then standard 16v springs are 15mm lower than 8v springs which you could probably pick up handy enough.

And if you ever come across someone selling a 2.0 bottom end - buy it, bang for buck one of the best things ever on the 8v and is literally a straight swap - you could probably pick them one for about £50-100

Cant wait to get mine out again nearer Easter 🚗

You're absolutely right about getting stuck in, I've done more to owning this car than I have with any of my other cars.
I told myself it would be this way and it's stuck! 💪

Thanks so much for the info and obvious experience!

Now you say about the fan, the centre spindle was a bit rusty looking when removing the fan... Will give it a look at with some wd40 👍

I'm going to go eibach low.. I like low cars but also want it to be drivable!

I think I saw this car for sale a few months ago outside a house in Kesh? Very cool. There can’t be many white ones. I love a MK2 GTI.

My mum used to have a red one from new when I was kid. I can still remember the day it was stolen, joy ridden and written off, then found in a field by the police.
Yep was the one in Kesh before Xmas.

Well I hope your mum's red one and mine don't have the same fate 😂🙈 that's one of my biggest fears

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Love this. The mk2 looks great in white. I had a mk2 Jetta years ago, and still maintain it's my favourite car i've ever owned. Like others have said, you can just get stuck into them without fear.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
You're absolutely right about getting stuck in, I've done more to owning this car than I have with any of my other cars.
I told myself it would be this way and it's stuck! 💪

Thanks so much for the info and obvious experience!

Now you say about the fan, the centre spindle was a bit rusty looking when removing the fan... Will give it a look at with some wd40 👍

I'm going to go eibach low.. I like low cars but also want it to be drivable!

Yep was the one in Kesh before Xmas.

Well I hope your mum's red one and mine don't have the same fate 😂🙈 that's one of my biggest fears

The eibachs aren't mega low, they're just about right IMO.

IMG_20200728_093123.jpg

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Got a soft spot for MK2s. Pleased to see people are still buying cool/interesting cars. Nice one (y) :cool:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Nice looking car. Have just started into my own one after a long time. They really are lovely to work on!

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
As previously stated Eibach is not that low; 2.0 bottom end sitting at rear of picture for future fitment.

Attachments

• 100_0040.JPG
    100_0040.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 72

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Its nice to see an other Mk2 on the forum and its also good to see your not afraid to get stuck in.

You also popped up as a suggest friend on Insta think ive been following you for a few weeks now keep up the good work

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
I think I might have parked near this in a multi-storey last week or so? Caught my eye for sure. Sitting pretty!

Scherni

RMS Regular
OP
Scherni
Drives
MK2 Golf GTi
Its nice to see an other Mk2 on the forum and its also good to see your not afraid to get stuck in.

You also popped up as a suggest friend on Insta think ive been following you for a few weeks now keep up the good work
Haha thanks bud! What's your username?

I'm happy to get stuck in, the more I watch YouTube videos and get answers from people on the Facebook pages the more confident I get.. also a big tool kit from Halfords means I have "most" tools!

The more I own it, the more I love be it and the more I'm happy to fix things ✌️
I think I might have parked near this in a multi-storey last week or so? Caught my eye for sure. Sitting pretty!
I'm going to guess **********

It's near my office, and this is currently my daily commuter 👍

Thanks bud, really appreciate it, I'm happy with it as it ticks my initial ideas.. OEM+ with original style features 👍

Reactions: dub

dub

RMS Regular
Drives
Aero Wagon
Haha thanks bud! What's your username?

I'm happy to get stuck in, the more I watch YouTube videos and get answers from people on the Facebook pages the more confident I get.. also a big tool kit from Halfords means I have "most" tools!

The more I own it, the more I love be it and the more I'm happy to fix things ✌️

I'm going to guess place?

It's near my office, and this is currently my daily commuter 👍

Thanks bud, really appreciate it, I'm happy with it as it ticks my initial ideas.. OEM+ with original style features 👍

Bingo sir, didn't want to say in case you didn't want to mention it. Near my office too. Quite handy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Scherni

RMS Regular
OP
Scherni
Drives
MK2 Golf GTi
Bingo sir, didn't want to say in case you didn't want to mention it. Near my office too. Quite handy!
Spot on! Haha I've edited now!

What do you drive yourself?

Reactions: dub