Mk2 Golf GTI Project

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Took the head staggers when a chap I know advertised this on facebook last week, but a few hours after seeing the post I was on my way home with it.

Totally original car, no modifications at all, even has the original Blaupunkt tape deck radio and the rear parcel shelf is fully intact which is rare!

The car is shabby on the outside, pretty much needs a respray to sort the various dents and a few rust spots. Guy I bought it off had the drivers sill replaced recently and had OD Cars re-do the head and de-coked etc.

Bought a mint replacement front grill yesterday which I need to put on, plus a replacement steering wheel and a couple of trim bits which were missing. Interior is pretty immaculate though surprisingly. Need to source some centre caps for the Bottle Top wheels, they're peoving hard to find unfortunately!

Undecided whether to keep it or not as i don't really have the time or urge to tackle it properly, but I'll definitely try and tidy it a bit this week and see what happens.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Markhall

RMS Regular
Drives
Ax gt, defender
Get the towbar off and in the bin first lift +o(
A wee car like that should never see towing duties ever again :grinning:
Looks a cracking base for a resto (y)

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Get the towbar off and in the bin first lift +o(
A wee car like that should never see towing duties ever again :grinning:
Looks a cracking base for a resto (y)

Sacrilege putting a tow bar on a wee car like that isn't it!

It's going in for a service and new front discs & pads on Thursday, so the tow bar will be removed and thrown straight in the bin!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Very nice mate was on eBay for a few weeks and I as sorely tempted. Will make a cracking project!!

pablo

RMS Moderator
great little project G but you know how the costs can mount up. If its not a keeper then up the road imo.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
Love it, would love a project sometime but don't have the patience for one lol

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Very nice mate was on eBay for a few weeks and I as sorely tempted. Will make a cracking project!!

It could still be yours @Coog !

great little project G but you know how the costs can mount up. If its not a keeper then up the road imo.

Yeah I know, chances are it'll be for sale by the weekend!

Love it, would love a project sometime but don't have the patience for one lol

Neither do I! lol

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Anyone ever tried the heat gun trick on the bumpers? Been told it should bring them up very well.

Going to tackle them some evening this week.

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Anyone ever tried the heat gun trick on the bumpers? Been told it should bring them up very well.

Going to tackle them some evening this week.

Yes @Woodcutter i bought a heatgun and done my wee Coupe S bumpers and wheel arches .
Have to say they literally did come up like new! I dont even use bumper gel or anything now as they look great (y)

eamon343

RMS Regular
Yes Eamon, September 1988, so one of the last of the small bumper models. Have to say I have grown to like the small bumper cars more recently, although an Oak Green big bumper 16v is still the daddy!

Grey small bumper with red trim is mine, or bbm! Is it kjet or digi? Im fighting the temptation to pm you asking how much you want for it!

KevM

RMS Regular
Great wee car to have as a project. So simple! You can fix literally anything on them with a wheel brace & a star head screw driver.

I enjoyed mine, but it quickly became a case of 'you should never meet your Heros', but glad I hopefully got to mine just in time to afford it another good few years on our roads :grinning:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Love a small bumper mk2 gti! Got to be worth keeping.
I got given a type 19 (split quarter windows) years ago by my dads cousin thats original, just needed an engine, its sat in the garage since. It had a tow bar as well!
Will never get rid of it

Gambit

RMS Regular
Looks nice little car, its as close as youll get to unmolested mk2 gti these days and its said that last of small bumper cars where the best built, small things like carpeted rear boot turrets and better engine loom protection etc things that big bumper cars didnt get

Though if you do decide to sell it dont say its completely untouched as some anorak will point out it has a 16v roof aerial. 8v have a wing aerial

Should ask on gtini or clubgti for the bottle top wheel centres should be handy enough got

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.