Mk2 Golf GTI Project

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Middleman

RMS Regular
Drives
R32
I bought it off Tom, and he bought it off a fella called Andy. Tom swapped this for a B2 Audi 80, and he regrets that move big time!

In that case I know 3 of the previous owners. It was owned by a fella called Dan before I introduced him to Andy. He had been using it daily since it was about 3 years old.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
New discs and pads fitted, new front grill fitted, tow bar removed, driver seat was loose so that's now fixed, and a set of Bottle Top wheel centres sourced, they were rough so sanded and painted them and fitted this morning.

Bought some Forever Black so ill tackle the bumpers tonight hopefully.

Then it's either paint it, drive it as it is for a while, or sell it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
I didnt know you lived in there Graeme, my mums only around the corner! Always liked those houses!.

Is that tyre profile right? They look very very small in the arches.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Personally I would love to see big bumpers, decked and dished :cool:

You're welcome to buy it and do that! :p

I didnt know you lived in there Graeme, my mums only around the corner! Always liked those houses!.

Is that tyre profile right? They look very very small in the arches.

Not sure Niall, what profile should they be? Might stick a new set on anyway as these are hard as nails with very little grip.

John_MK5

RMS Regular
would love a mk2 golf again, selling mine was the biggest regret i have as far as cars are concerned lol. let me know if you decide to sell it.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Bought some 'Forever Black' trim restorer dye last week, started to tackle it tonight, what a pain in the ass this is!!

Seems to have gone a bit streaky, either that or it isn't dried properly yet, either way it's not as easy as I was expecting it to be. I knew I should have just left it or got someone else to do it! lol :-#

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
You should have bought C4 - its the only product I'd recommend for restoring plastic trims. Theres nothing else on the market that gives as good results and is as simple!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
You should have bought C4 - its the only product I'd recommend for restoring plastic trims. Theres nothing else on the market that gives as good results and is as simple!

You can use C4 on it when you buy it off me! :p

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Bought some 'Forever Black' trim restorer dye last week, started to tackle it tonight, what a pain in the ass this is!!

Seems to have gone a bit streaky, either that or it isn't dried properly yet, either way it's not as easy as I was expecting it to be. I knew I should have just left it or got someone else to do it! lol :-#
I don't see how people have problems with this :confounded:

Did you use the cleaning solution? Did you make sure the bumpers were bone dry? Amy wet or damp will make it streak. I honestly couldn't have got better results if it'd bought new bumpers

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
OP
Woodcutter
Decided to sell this.

Not sure what to ask for it, but anyone interested please drop me a PM.

Sep 1988, 8v 1.8 GTI, 3 previous owners on NI V5, MOT until July 2017, 239k miles, head recently done by OD Cars, new head gasket etc, new timing belt kit, new exhaust, new front discs & pads.

Needs a respray, various little dents and some rust spots needing attention, previous owner had the driver's sill replaced, other side is fine, needs it painted though. Driver's door needs replaced as the lower bit is rusted, I have a replacement door for it which just needs painted.

Anyone any idea on what it's worth? Was thinking £1400-ish?

Mk2Dubber

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
Prices have went mental on these.

In 2010 I sold a 1990 Oak Green 16v BB with 2.0 16v ABF conversion, minty mint condition and sexy wheels for £1900. The same today (if you find one) would be £5k+

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.