Mk2 golf mechanics

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
Drives
Old VWs
Does anybody know of any decent mechanics that know are knowledgeable about Mk2 golf's...

Found myself a absolute gem of a Mk2 Jetta (basically exact same as a Goof right up to the C Pillar) so would like a "mk2 guy" to have look at it.

Would like to find somebody that knows them well to have a look over it and discuss things like possibly getting the bottom end and cams changed and running perfect.

I'm in Belfast and would like somebody local although distance isn't really an issue, just inconvenient lol

J

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210323-231732_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210323-231732_WhatsApp.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 57

Gambit

RMS Regular
Davey @ Sandown Autos (Sandown Road, Ballyhackamore) if you're looking a registered mechanic who knows them inside out.

Good few on here can give you advice on them.

What engine is in it now? 2.0 bottom end with kent gs2 cam was always the way to go on 8v's back in the day if not looking a full engine conversion

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
Ricks garage. Moved to Glenavy now. He has a couple of mk1 golf's himself so knows them well.

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
Davey @ Sandown Autos (Sandown Road, Ballyhackamore) if you're looking a registered mechanic who knows them inside out.

Good few on here can give you advice on them.

What engine is in it now? 2.0 bottom end with kent gs2 cam was always the way to go on 8v's back in the day if not looking a full engine conversion
From what I've read, that's the set up I'd plan to go for I think as it's a 1.8 and seen pretty much everybody say so 2.0 bottom end and Kent cams is the way to go. I've a 5 speed box there for it as well that apparently is a steaighy fit as its got a 4 speed in it currently (must have been thrown in at one point as its originally a 4+E)

Gambit

RMS Regular
From what I've read, that's the set up I'd plan to go for I think as it's a 1.8 and seen pretty much everybody say so 2.0 bottom end and Kent cams is the way to go. I've a 5 speed box there for it as well that apparently is a steaighy fit as its got a 4 speed in it currently (must have been thrown in at one point as its originally a 4+E)

That's very random given all big block cars used 5sp boxes. Are you sure the linkage just isnt knackered which is stopping you getting into e/5th?

Or get the code stamped on bell housing underneath

You can easily tell 4sp & 5sp box just by looking at them even from the engine bay

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
Definitely a 4 speed, has 4 speed stick and all. fella I got it off told me it had been swapped out, which I don't mind, for now..

Gambit

RMS Regular
given the hassle to fit a 4sp box to a 5sp car im amazed they went that far given that 5sp boxes arent exactly rare/expensive! my first 16v had a box change in it....it was using a 5sp austin maestro box ffs!

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
Lol now I'm gonna have to go see if there is maybe a 5th after all, just not on the knob 🤦🏻‍♂️ lol

Gambit

RMS Regular
Lol now I'm gonna have to go see if there is maybe a 5th after all, just not on the knob 🤦🏻‍♂️ lol
if take a picture of under the bonnet/gearbox area ill be able to tell you if its 5 gears or not.

They are well known for gear linkage going out of alignment and in turn losing access to 5th gear!

if your gearbox has this bit, including the circular cap then its 5sp. Thats the 5th gear circled. different end cap on 4sp boxes

1616687233563.png

Last edited:

Avant1

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
given the hassle to fit a 4sp box to a 5sp car im amazed they went that far given that 5sp boxes arent exactly rare/expensive! my first 16v had a box change in it....it was using a 5sp austin maestro box ffs!
Not maybe because it’s got longer legs so to speak ? I’ve seen a 1.8 carb outrun the 8v injection with the 4 speed ratios