Coogs multifaceted fleet

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
These came with the car. To be honest if they didn't have decent tyres on them I would have probably chucked them or stuck them into the MX5 pile. But tyres were decent, they came with centre caps and after looking at a few sets online I reckon they might be a nice alternative to the steels for a change every now & then. They'd been done before in gunmetal which was very easily marked, not lacquered and looked a bit gash. So in the continued spirit of DIY (and because the wheel refurber I normally use didn't want to touch anything that had plastic centres!) I decided to do another set myself.

Really just stripping them back and sorting kerbing at the minute. Wanted to get paint on them before the temperatures drop.

Mostly stripped (which was an absolute nightmare):
IMG_20200904_103130.jpg

IMG_20200904_111557.jpg

Sanded and some kerb rash tidied up:

IMG_20200907_094214.jpg

Getting there. Bit more cleaning and it'll be filler primer time:

IMG_20200907_102911.jpg

Hopefully have them in the next week or so.

Attachments

• IMG_20200907_094214.jpg
    IMG_20200907_094214.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20200907_102911.jpg
    IMG_20200907_102911.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20200904_111557.jpg
    IMG_20200904_111557.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 29

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Used the gear from Screwfix and left it on an hour's reapplied and left that an hour then hit it with the wire brush on the drill. I'd rate it 3/10. It took most of the old paint off but wouldn't fancy it's chances on the OEM paint tbh.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Primer is on the wheels.

IMG_20200911_101633.jpg

While that was curing I changed the clutch cable from auto adjust to a manually adjusting one. The pedal feel was pretty crap and I guess the cable wasn't freely moving inside the housing. Feels much better now.

IMG_20200911_101750.jpg

IMG_20200911_100615.jpg

And while I was grabbing the above photos I accidentally logged into another account and amazingly found photos of one of my other ones. IIRC this was £250 odd back about 10 years ago. A complete steal by todays prices!

DSCF0139.JPG

DSCF0146.JPG

DSCF0143.JPG

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I think you will struggle to top the way it looks with the steels on it tbh but these are a period wheel too I guess. I'm not going full beard here btw, just think the steels suit the car. 🤓

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I think you will struggle to top the way it looks with the steels on it tbh but these are a period wheel too I guess. I'm not going full beard here btw, just think the steels suit the car. 🤓

Oh yes totally agree. Only really doing these because I can lol

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
They do look much better with a bit of paint on them indeed. I like the dished look of the steels and some decent sidewall too though. Good to have some tidy spare wheels around when you fancy a change. :cool:

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Alright so quick update on the above.

Original intention for this car back when it was lilac was to burst it all over bishopscourt like I did with a V6 Omega a few months previous. When that didn't happen I spent most weekends harassing it round the ards peninsula, kirkistown, bishopscourt and mondello. In all that time over 8 years it's needed one clutch, a coil pack, a coolant hose and a few smaller items. Oh and several repaints; mainly due to crashing it into solid objects.

So now for the next chapter. I decided in the end to stick with the 1.6 engine but to FI it. Reasonable bit of back & forth with myself on whether I should supercharge or turbo it, and what I should add in the way of supporting mods without going mad. At the end of the day the car was bought for less than a good night out costs... but wouldn't it be fun to double the power? Yes I think it would.

Ultimately I decided I would be best yanking the engine out and adding the following:

T3/T4 TD04E turbo
Exhaust mani & Downpipe
Intercooler
Oil cooler kit
BOV
Manual boost controller
BOFI racing clutch
Standalone ECU
Wideband
Variable TPS
RX8 injectors
Coolant relocation
IAT sensor
Other associated gubbins

I believe the set-up should be good enough to put the rods out through the side of the block or burst the gearbox, so will need to dial it back a tad. Who knows what will happen because I certainly don't. I've never even touched a turbo before never mind installed and mapped one to work properly - will keep you posted on progress 😁

Jonny-FN2.GT

RMS Regular
Drives
Fn2
Do you have a turbo set up? Fell i know is trying to sell his if its any interest?

Look forward to seeing this progress. The VW build as great to follow.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Love the attitude to it, should hold together rightly if you don't go mad with the boost but sure if it dies, it dies, it wouldn't cost much to put another donkey in it and go again.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
I've a spare engine and gearbox there if I need it. Not sure what shape they're in after sitting for years in a shed mind you!