Mk2 Jetta GL

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
Drives
Old VWs
OK so, found this absolute wee beauty and seen its potential!

I'm far from an expert on them but after a lot of research online I'm pretty sure I've got myself a solid car.

No rust in all the usual worry areas.
98k on the clock
1781cc with the standard peiberg carburetor.
4 speed gearbox.
Interior is in great condition, just needs a proper valet.

I now need to find me some Mk2 people and mechanics to help me out as id like it looked at, serviced and just running smooth as it's got a few wee niggles like a battery that keeps draining and cold starts taking a few attempts... and then hopefully we can discuss bottom ends, cams and weber carbs ;)

Somebody around the greater Belfast area would be convenient, but not essential.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210323-231732_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210323-231732_WhatsApp.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 9,229

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
Lots of love for this! Many plans for it or keeping it original?
First, want it running fine. Then I can get round to restoring it to "standard"

Needs the roof liner and few rubber seals sorted first, already got a few window scrapers and seals ordered.

As for wheels, not quite sure.. something of that era or banded steelies and then lowered... but apart from that, nothing crazy just oem clear indicators and side repeaters and fogs.

56oval

RMS Regular
Weber 32/34 dmtl is great on these, the pierburgs just aren't worth investing time or money in if they are giving issues, wax stats are nigh on impossible to get the last time I tried. You do however end up with a manual cable operated choke but no drama really. The weber runs really well on this setup and as @Coog says, super easy DIY install, a couple of hours usually does it.

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
OK so I wasn't gonna worry about wheels just yet and get it running fine first... but I've just found a set of 14" scirocco snowflakes and some decent tyres I can't pass on. Result :grinning:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210324-180301_Gumtree.jpg
    Screenshot_20210324-180301_Gumtree.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 96

Chris0

RMS Regular
Did I see this coming out of a steep hill on the backroads to Lisburn?

It’s a friends old car loves his old VWs and this was treated like a baby along with the rest!

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
Possibly.. guy I got it off had been usually it a little so was maybe him you seen in it. I can tell its been treated well.. and intend to treat it just as well myself ;)

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
This brings back memories.

I found this photo last week clearing out the attic. This was my dads 1.6 Jetta TX, which he bought from Prentice VW. It was their demonstrator and apparently the first deep bumper car in NI. I learned to drive in it. Pity it wasn’t a GTi 16v.

It came with the Scala // Snowflake wheels, which he actually still has lying in the garage but in major need for refurbishment.

03297F59-6DD1-4E90-9293-451D13C7EDAE.jpeg

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
This brings back memories.

I found this photo last week clearing out the attic. This was my dads 1.6 Jetta TX, which he bought from Prentice VW. It was their demonstrator and apparently the first deep bumper car in NI. I learned to drive in it. Pity it wasn’t a GTi 16v.

It came with the Scala // Snowflake wheels, which he actually still has lying in the garage but in major need for refurbishment.

View attachment 317084
Fantastic! This one came from Agnews in Mallusk and according to the paperwork in the car the first own was Mr Isaac Agnew himself lol.

I've a set of 14" snowflakes to pic up tonight :grinning: can't can't

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
The wheels in your photo that you’re picking up look the best condition of any I’ve seen for sale.

I’m sure my dad would give the ones he has away for free, but they are rough (that’s why he took them off in the end).

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
Well, id not say no to a set of free wheels like if you're offering lol. getting them efurbished wouldn't be much bother to me.
Well, id not say no to a set of free wheels like if you're offering lol. getting them efurbished wouldn't be much bother to me.
The wheels in your photo that you’re picking up look the best condition of any I’ve seen for sale.

I’m sure my dad would give the ones he has away for free, but they are rough (that’s why he took them off in the end).
Replied I wrong spot... you offering me some free wheels? Lol

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Ohhh lovely, always loved a Jetta.

Another weber advocate. I fitted the 32/34 dtml on my 1.6 mk2 Golf, it really made the car nicer to drive, if possibly not much quicker. Got rid of the occasional carb freezing I got on the Pierberg too.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Was the Jetta up near Hannahstown? Saw one in a yard up round there a while back. Nice looking car dude :grinning:

AlpineJetta

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineJetta
Drives
Old VWs
Was the Jetta up near Hannahstown? Saw one in a yard up round there a while back. Nice looking car dude :grinning:
I've mo idea lol. I got it from a young lad in Lagmore, belonged to a guy called cairan before that... and now I own it hopefully it'll be seen on the roads even more as of next month after its MOT

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Happy days, it's likely same car I saw as can't imagine two white ones in that part of the world. Look forward to seeing it around when you get the scala rims on :cool: