Mk3 Astra

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Have been collecting bits and getting some fabrication work done lately.

file1.png
file3.png

Got some electronic clocks form a calibre which allow me to use the saab box, just waiting on the guy to post

Need to see can I get the mileage adjusted on them.

file.png

file2.png

Then got a guy to weld on some bends onto my intercooler, it was too tight of a fit when I had silicone bends on it so I thought it was best to get the bends welded

file-1.jpeg

file1-1 (2).jpeg

Done a trial fit the other night and sits perfect for me with the pipes I have ordered, just need to trim the plastic on the rad down a bit.

file4-1 (1).jpeg

file5-1.jpeg

Also got my oil filter housing modified with AN fittings to run the upgraded oil cooler.

file2-1 (1).jpeg

Next up is to fabricate two mounts for the rad, get the oil cooler pipes made and lengthen the power steering pipes

When I have that done I can get the whole thing plumbed up and try get it started.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Havent updated in a while.. Ive been tipping away at this slowly, buying the vx220 didn't help things as any night im free i seem to be out in it.

So i got a corsa b epas column
file-22.jpeg

I realised when fitting the oil cooler etc that it was too tight with the saab power steering pump so ripped that out and all the pipes, so that left me needing an extra pulley.

Got onto a guy and he sent me out one of his mounts and got the pulley and belt off ebay
file-24.jpeg

file1-13.jpeg

I also sent my ecu off to the same guy who removed the immobiliser and done the t7 apc mod and also a bit of a map

file2-10.jpeg

I then started doing the wiring which im about 70% done i think

I needed to get the gsi rear beam on to get wires moked up so that i can get a speed signal from the rear hub to run the speedo.
The gsi beam i had spare from the scrap shell was in a bad way so send it off to a guy who blasted it for me and came up good i think.

file8-1.jpeg

When doing the wiring i was starting to removed the connection to the key barrel and managed to brake the plug, couple of springs and contacts flew paseed me.
file9.png

I should have just remove the small screw and the who lot would have slid out.

file7-2.jpeg

So ive to go collect a few bits of a guy in omagh including a gsi windscreen and few other bits and bobs and he has a spare key barrel that i can swap over.

Ive to
-plumb up the t7apc,
-fit the oil filter housing and connect pipes for oil cooler,
-fit fuel lines,
-fit the epas
-finish wiring

I need to get some sort of air filter setup, and find out what brakes im going to go with to fit to the rear beam.

Im not sure whether to just go with the gsi setup al round or go bigger.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
So had a spare hour yesterday evening and decided to remove the steering column as i needed to get the EPAS fitted to see where everything will go and sort wiring.

So the only bit of modification that i can see needs done is a bracket needs made to hold at the bottom.

I pulled the cage that was in mk3 gsi shell and then the column that was in my base car.

This is the GSI column cage
file2-11.jpeg

This is the one from my base car

file5-5.jpeg

file7-3.jpeg

So i need to cut off the bracket and get it welded to the circular plate that is at the bottom of the EPAS shaft connection.

The only other difference i can see is that the key barrel is facing a different direction, the EPAS is angled and mk3 looks to be straight so ill have to try and get it slotted in later and see will it work within the steering cowl.

Loggie

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra
Look forward to seeing it complete! Some transformation from when you first got it. Would love a GSI at some stage I hear they are a blast to hit back roads on

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
This poor car always seems to be left behind for some reason.

Got a memory poped up on facebook the other day from when i bought it and though i needed to pull my finger out.

So cleaned the garage out and got a list together of parts i need and jobs to do.

Had the gsi door with electric windows in the other shed which where in the way so got them stripped down and scrapped
IMG_4399.JPG

Got my filter setup delivered and trial fitted, happy enough with it.
IMG_4516.JPG

Got some new Phase 1 headlights as both pairs i have where phase 2 and didn't sit right with the grill
s-l500.jpg

Started back on the wiring and i have the loom adopter wiring sorted, speed relay wires sorted but need to get some gsi hubs to build up the rear axle again so i can fit the wires to the rear abs sensor.

Just needed some thicker wire and a 50A inline fuse to finish the wiring for the EPAS, wire came during the week so i have the cable pulled along with the other power cable needed to go to batter for the loom adopter. Bit of a awkward job that one.

Have cut the wiring for the ignition switch i messed up but it turned out that i needed to change it anyway as the phase 1/2 barrel connections are different. Just waiting on a soldering iron kit from ebay to arrive.
IMG_4462.JPG

Also seen the guy that mapped my ecu and provided the mound bracket for the steering pump delete had made up some down pipes but it was for the corsa B so considering buying it and see will it fit. only issue is that it is decat which means i need a sports cat welded in somewhere for MOT.

100090083_1186645138344587_4659179311520022528_n.jpg
100479866_3412557528772672_132318291598245888_n.jpg

Doesn't look too different as to how the standard downpipe sits only the lambda sensor is in a different place as to where the standard one is so need to check will that suit.
98361207_3320374128013856_5158609795304914944_n.jpg

IMG_4465.JPG

When i fitted the downpipe i realised that my bloody intercooler pipes that i was all happy with are in the bloody way. My own fault, i should of checked the downpipe at the time.

So ive ordered another silicone pipe to see can i throw it away from the downpipe but it may not work, i may have to go down the route of replacing the full pipe from the tophat.

Hopefully keep the push on and try and get it started soon, really need to get brakes, have the gsi 256mm ones but im looking for a 284/288mm kit from cav/cali v6 or turbo

LMF had a good deal for like 300 for new calipers, carriers pads and redrilled discs but there out of stock a the minute

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Also seen the guy that mapped my ecu and provided the mound bracket for the steering pump delete had made up some down pipes but it was for the corsa B so considering buying it and see will it fit. only issue is that it is decat which means i need a sports cat welded in somewhere for MOT.
What year is this? Anything up to June 2002 doesn't need a cat for mot here. Might still be the right thing to do if it was to sell over to the UK or something eventually but up to you. Not had any bother with a few 90s cars up to the mx5 that is '99 going through without.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
The car is 1999 from memory.

Might just go for it then and see what happens.

Need to get the rest of the exhaust made by a company so i might get them to alter the standard downpipe that i could swop out just in case.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Been a long time since I’ve done an update on this , with the amount to do it seems to have been out on the back burner .

But over the last while I’ve been gathering parts working away

Soooo, loom and wiring 99% finished . Just need to cut off the bit from the gsi loom to put to the rear hub to run the speedo
30D7C3CD-8A86-4FCE-A460-68CF42435740.jpeg

got all the new bearings and stuff to build up the gsi beam
70E768FF-3277-486F-9F8D-3026047736D2.jpeg

eventually got some 288 calipers after some d1ck in England selling me some and they were gsi 256. Got some new mtec pre drilled discs and spacers
42EEC0AF-1DCE-49ED-B95B-298023BA5597.jpeg

got the rad brackets made up just need someone to tack them up for me
BA460233-384E-4393-BD41-56D79150ACD3.jpeg

got the intercooler and oil cooler fully mounted in place

12B85DED-3EC5-4A8A-A16C-06C031B9D1BA.jpeg

got the pipes altered to the steering rack and have to have them vented with a tiny bit of oil to keep it lubed up, got a small like oil breather filter to do that just need to fit it

3819B441-9293-4BBC-B4B0-7A48379520A0.jpeg

got this universal fan temp switch this week, just need to fit and join up the mk3 wires along with the fan

A0072C06-35E3-46F5-BEF5-3B5652A16204.jpeg

got a walbro 255 few weeks back but haven’t got round to fitting it
F494CD46-D269-4B60-905E-CD02A60FAE26.jpeg

went to connect up the linkage last weekend and realised that the mk3 gearstick and connecting rod wouldn’t fit . So on the net and realised I needed to 900 or 9-3 setup so got one ordered and landed today

E0FB0C4F-B5B6-404C-A56B-62D9FFFD5BFA.jpeg

Fired in a battery to get it switched on and see how the wiring was and if anything was thrown up on the dash . Thankfully all was good, had forgot to plug in the map sensor and

BE8B7546-DA4F-427C-A36A-0E86C30A50D1.jpeg

so just have to get oil cooler hooked up , filter on and oil and and a load of jubilee clips for the hoses and get it fired up.

Attachments

• 7AD5B13A-99FB-4D0B-95EF-EC2AFA232860.jpeg
    7AD5B13A-99FB-4D0B-95EF-EC2AFA232860.jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 67

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Got a good bit done yesterday.

Got the 9-3 gear selector delivered last week and had to cut it down as the 9-3 has the ignition barrel beside the gear stick and its not needed for the mk3

Had a 9-5 selector but the rod was different so couldnt use it.

IMG_6744.jpg

Got the breather filter fitted for the steering rack
IMG_6757.jpg

Got all the boost pipes and coolant pipes clipped up

IMG_6754.jpg

Got the fan thermostat fitted and wired up. Only have it done with crim fittings, have a nice fitting ordered for it.
IMG_6758.jpg

All I have left to do is wash out the oil filter housing as I had it modified with two connections on it, just to make sure there's nothing in there that can get into the engine.
file2-1 (1).jpeg

So just to fit that and the oil cooer pipes, filter on and fluids and im ready for start up.

Attachments

• IMG_6756.jpg
    IMG_6756.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 53

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
So got the oil filter housing clean out . Mad amount of metal and stuff in it . ( looks like I pissed in a bucket but its pe
8C363314-E936-4F60-A97D-C427638A55CA.jpeg

Got the filter housing fitted and pipes plumbed up

59EAA32C-3751-4192-90AD-2FCA988BB5F8.jpeg

Filled with oil and coolant

B287696D-9AD5-4073-A38D-FA23BF94959C.jpeg

Not sure how to put videos up there but gave it a couple of turns and fired into life.

At long last have the engine going. just need to fit the drive shafts and put oil in the box and refit brakes and be rolling .

need to get someone to make up an exhaust for me now . Think my only two options for this is JON in newry or Canavans in lurgan .

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Thanks @cormac81

I actually replied to Sean on FB as he messaged me. Basically any of the highly recommended exhaust fabricators on here were a nightmare to deal with.

I used a guy called Michael O'Reilly in Bessbrook to modify a new off the shelf stainless system for an R32 to fit mine as it was the closest job. Cost me a fortune but it's perfect and the work Michael did was great.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
Been doing bits lately tidying up .

tested fitted the bumpers , realised the last tool who took the rear bumper off ripped the brackets off at the sides so going to have to do something about that
3DC39E05-F727-4564-8F87-2B2E00CB41CB.jpeg
A2321B8D-F7CB-4418-800E-93372BD70117.jpeg

went to for the shafts today and realised that I have to get big block hub flanges.
Think the gsi ones are big block and I may have the ones that came from the scrap car to get me going for now

hopefully off in a few weeks to get full 3” stainless system made up.

Will be the last big piece of the puzzle before it all gets stopped down to get the shell ready for paint .

seanmooney

RMS Regular
OP
seanmooney
So over the weekend i went to get the old legs removed and get the gsi ones on.

Absolute nightmare removing the track rod ends so had to add the the persuader tool compartment of my tool box as the small sledge and heat torch wasnt doing anything.

pure brute of a thing but got the job done

IMG_7124.jpg

IMG_7125.jpg

IMG_7135.jpg

So done as much as i could and got the shafts back in and the legs put in place until i could get to the sealey shop in town yesterday.

IMG_7132.jpg

IMG_7133.jpg

so all fitted up with new track ends for now and the new brakes on .

then took into getting the steering connected, was a bit fiddly getting the knuckle fitted to the rack and column but after a bit of cutting and filing its in there.

the guy i bought the rack off was a bit heavy handed in getting the wheel off and had mashed the threads a bit so had to cut a bit off which wasnt the greatest option but was all i could do. Have to grind a bit off the wheel no to make sure the nut get a good tighten

IMG_7134.jpg

So the to-do list is getting gradually smaller,

Need to get oil in the gearbox, get the brake lines swopped over to the bigger brakes and bleed, get the wheels back on and get it back on the ground and top up engine oil and coolant and were ready to go to get the exhaust.