mk4 golf 25th anni tdi r33 skyline gts-t

Jordy555

RMS Regular
OP
Jordy555
Drives
Golf_skyline
Lovely pair of motors there! Really liking that Skyline you have. Nice to see one that isn't modified too much. Set of coilovers and just wait until you find the right wheels at the right price for you :grinning:
thanks veedubnoodle yea I love the way it is as it sits now. Wheels will be the only thing Il change apart from that im gona keep it original.

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
Drives
ImprezaSTI
Two really lovely motors!

Two questions, what kind of power does the gtst make? I know a gtr is around 300 but no idea about gtst's.

As for the golf, maybe a bit random, but what's the mpg like? I heard from another owner recently that they are ridiculously economical even when making huge power!

Jordy555

RMS Regular
OP
Jordy555
Drives
Golf_skyline
Two really lovely motors!

Two questions, what kind of power does the gtst make? I know a gtr is around 300 but no idea about gtst's.

As for the golf, maybe a bit random, but what's the mpg like? I heard from another owner recently that they are ridiculously economical even when making huge power!
Thanks andy the gtst is 250hp when they left the factory and its the gtrs are around 280hp standard. My gtst is making a really healthy 288hp was dynod a few months before i bought it dyno printout here for it signs of a super healthy rb25 and only mods are a hks 3.5 exhaust system and hks mushroom filter. The golf does around 60mpg on a long motorway run and between 35 40 mpg around the towns.

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
Drives
ImprezaSTI
Thanks andy the gtst is 250hp when they left the factory and its the gtrs are around 280hp standard. My gtst is making a really healthy 288hp was dynod a few months before i bought it dyno printout here for it signs of a super healthy rb25 and only mods are a hks 3.5 exhaust system and hks mushroom filter. The golf does around 60mpg on a long motorway run and between 35 40 mpg around the towns.

That's a VERY healthy figure for just a couple of bolt ons! I bet it's a great car to drive. I will own a skyline one day

60 mpg... I feel both impressed and somewhat upset. Im lucky to see half that in either of my cars :joy: Im considering a cheap tdi mk4 as a daily (can't afford to splash for an anniversary). Do you have any advice on which one to get / avoid?

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
I'd go for either a 130 or 150bhp mk4 gt tdi. Easiest to get decent power out of with a simple remap & egr delete. preferably with a decent service history (which with this age of car will just be a stack of old receipts!) Theres lots of places rust can raise its ugly head but its mostly cosmetic rather than structural. Parts are generally quite cheap for them which always helps. Great dailys for taking abuse. :blush:

Jordy555

RMS Regular
OP
Jordy555
Drives
Golf_skyline
That's a VERY healthy figure for just a couple of bolt ons! I bet it's a great car to drive. I will own a skyline one day

60 mpg... I feel both impressed and somewhat upset. Im lucky to see half that in either of my cars :joy: Im considering a cheap tdi mk4 as a daily (can't afford to splash for an anniversary). Do you have any advice on which one to get / avoid?
yes it is indeed andy i think my skyline drives nicer than the golf surprisingly enough it drives like new. If u were going for a mk4 pd defo would recommend one with a good service history and preferably ones that hasn't been modified as its more likely to give bother at some stage clutch turbo etc soon be on the way out and miles inst a issue if its been well serviced. The main problems with these cars are timing belts breaking and camshaft issues 150s are more renown for this so if its a 150 ask if its had cam done as more than likely its gonna need one at some stage. so 150s or 130s are fine providing there well maintained and def the main thing is that its had a timing belt and water pump done recently if it hasn't that is the first thing i would advise to do and it shouldn't give u any bother. if u do end up going for one and need to know anything else just ask id be happy to help.

subie_andy33

RMS Regular
Drives
ImprezaSTI
I'd go for either a 130 or 150bhp mk4 gt tdi. Easiest to get decent power out of with a simple remap & egr delete. preferably with a decent service history (which with this age of car will just be a stack of old receipts!) Theres lots of places rust can raise its ugly head but its mostly cosmetic rather than structural. Parts are generally quite cheap for them which always helps. Great dailys for taking abuse. :blush:
yes it is indeed andy i think my skyline drives nicer than the golf surprisingly enough it drives like new. If u were going for a mk4 pd defo would recommend one with a good service history and preferably ones that hasn't been modified as its more likely to give bother at some stage clutch turbo etc soon be on the way out and miles inst a issue if its been well serviced. The main problems with these cars are timing belts breaking and camshaft issues 150s are more renown for this so if its a 150 ask if its had cam done as more than likely its gonna need one at some stage. so 150s or 130s are fine providing there well maintained and def the main thing is that its had a timing belt and water pump done recently if it hasn't that is the first thing i would advise to do and it shouldn't give u any bother. if u do end up going for one and need to know anything else just ask id be happy to help.

Thanks guys! Both really helpful replies. I and a friend are both considering one so it's good to see there's a few of you on here with experience that can give solid advice as to which model and common faults.

All the same I'd say the first issue will be finding one that hasn't been 'agri-specced' yet 😂

Nice to hear that the skyline drives like new. It's another car on the bucket list to own, so good to know there are some out there that are well maintained and aren't feeling their age just yet 😁

Jordy555

RMS Regular
OP
Jordy555
Drives
Golf_skyline
Finally got the cam and injectors fitted on the anni and safe to say say its a rocket now wil post printout and all pics i have.

Parts that were fitted/work carried out

asz arl injectors with firad 120% nozzles
Veicomer 272 camshaft 9.8mm lift
Stuck with my pd150 headbolts holding ok at 2.5bar
Ina black top lifters with glyco bearings
Full genuine timing belt kelt + waterpump
New genuine coolant
Genuine vw Quantum platinum 5W-40 oil and filter
4 new ngk glow plugs
New genuine bosch tandem pump
Set timing value to 0.0 this can b checked wif vcds

Car was custom tuned this time by dc tuning coalisland and i cant fault it car is flying
Turned boost up full to 2.5 to cope with all the fuel from those big nozzles went for a smokey tune. I could of went for the switchable maps but thats not me so one was i all i wanted. I was asked about smoke and told tuner not to worry about smoke and give it all the fuel it needed.

First time round on dyno we only made 286hp 400ftlbs was ripping it did not make the 300hp. I found after a few days car did not always start first try when cold/warm and was perfect when engine was hot. So was for replacing all sorts so found fuel leaking from tandem pump replaced that made no difference. Got vcds and done numorous tests etc and found glow plugs werent working half of the time and not for long enough when they did work.

So after alot of testing i messed about with glow timing with vcds. The car started perfect with a 4sec glow in the morning and glow plugs dont work unless coolant temp is under 20 degrees. So turned out it was a fuelling issue in the end. Spoke to my mate and he said to get the glow plug timing ajusted by the tuner in the mapping as darkside done this on his passat when they mapped it. So we did just that starting issue is gone i and now have a 5 sec glow regardless of coolant temperature will post the photos of vcds showing this and the timing value.

All issues sorted now and had car dynoed again and smashed the 300hp goal. Autotune said it was highest hp 1.9pd to date they had ever dynoed.

Car made 330 hp 430ftlbs crazy figures from a pd here in ni and im over the moon with it. This setup and turbo usually make around 320 at the most my mate says the new bosch tandem pump is the difference why it going so well as brand new pump well worth the 200 less than half price that tps were looking and is same pump they sell. Apperntly its all about torque and i have it all see graph attached in photos will post more pics and info to follow shortly thanks for looking. Any questions im happy to help ask away folks cheers.

Attachments

• 20200202_160407.jpg
    20200202_160407.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 329.jpg
    329.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200308_173928.jpg
    20200308_173928.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 46
  • received_251911529296038.jpeg
    received_251911529296038.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 494.jpg
    494.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 329 429.jpg
    329 429.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Snapchat-1571993594.jpg
    Snapchat-1571993594.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 54

Jordy555

RMS Regular
OP
Jordy555
Drives
Golf_skyline
So on these pds glow plugs dont work when coolant temp over 20 degress and only glow for 1sec.
Pics show glow plugs group 12 and you will see pic after tuner edited the glow plugs maps giving me a 5 sec glow regardless of coolant temp. This cured my starting issue as my car struggled to start with all that extra fuel wif the bigger nozzle firad 120% injectors were mapped in so was hard one to figure out but got there in the end thanks to vcds.

Attachments

• 20200619_201337.jpg
    20200619_201337.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 5sec glow.jpg
    5sec glow.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 74

Jordy555

RMS Regular
OP
Jordy555
Drives
Golf_skyline
Also got the 33 detailed by pmg autocare. Car got paint correction and then coated with cystal serum and light and exo pics speak for themselves. Difference is unreal after the detail really pleased with how the car turned out.

Attachments

• The money shot.jpg
    The money shot.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Detail 3.jpg
    Detail 3.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Detail 2 .jpg
    Detail 2 .jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Detail 1.jpeg
    Detail 1.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Pmg detail .jpeg
    Pmg detail .jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 61

Jordy555

RMS Regular
OP
Jordy555
Drives
Golf_skyline
Pics to show the camshaft timing adjustment shown in pics . The timing was in spec at 2.2 synchro angle group 4 but i adjusted to see if would cure my starting issue. Setting it to 0.0 can help starting and fuel economy also. I done this manaully without correct tool via the cam pulley so it took a few goes to get it perfect.

Attachments

• Timing 0.0.jpg
    Timing 0.0.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Cam timing value 2.2.jpg
    Cam timing value 2.2.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 50

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Also got the 33 detailed by pmg autocare. Car got paint correction and then coated with cystal serum and light and exo pics speak for themselves. Difference is unreal after the detail really pleased with how the car turned out.

very very nice skyline. Was this the one at torquegt imports a little while back?

I’d made enquires but we just couldn’t settle on a figure on my own car lol. Looks awesome from the videos they’d sent me.

Jordy555

RMS Regular
OP
Jordy555
Drives
Golf_skyline
very very nice skyline. Was this the one at torquegt imports a little while back?

I’d made enquires but we just couldn’t settle on a figure on my own car lol. Looks awesome from the videos they’d sent me.
Cheers da.murf. Yes it was indeed i collected her around this time last year from torque gt. Yes its a stunning car inside and out and im very happy with it.

Jordy555

RMS Regular
OP
Jordy555
Drives
Golf_skyline
Does the mk4 fire out black smoke anytime you drive :worried:
no not all the time if your cruising along taking it easy there is very little. As soon as you boot it tho it will smoke its just the nature of these pds with big turbo big nozzle set ups. Im guessing u dont like the smoke then ??