Driver side rear door wont open
Button on key wont lift the pin up
And the button on drivers door wont either

Any ideas how I get it open

martybelfastsri

RMS Regular
Drives
all sorts
can be a massive pain ive had similar needed forced open pull off door card and beat mech into submission but the usually get intermint lock fault before giving up so if it open dont lock until its been changed not great news for tonight sorry just have a good mess with it if that dosent work will need forced i dont think theres a magic fix ect

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
BCFB1FB0-60C0-4777-AF99-E57DEBBAC6CD.jpeg

Weres our George when you need him

Steviegsi

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
As long as the other 3 open you should be fine for mot. Tester told me before when I had the same issue it was OK as there were 3 other doors to get out in the event of an accident.

If it's not used to often I wouldn't start forcing it.... It will open itself randomly then you can sort it out then. It's a common prob on mk4s.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
had this on my passat and its an easy fix, but only after you get the door open and apart.

I searched all over the internet and called my mechanic and no one actually had a decent suggestion and just to consider an angle grinder...

anyway, I took the drivers seat out (with the door still closed) and just about managed to wrestle the door card off but did break couple of clips (easily replaced via ebay).
Then, got myself a small cheapo boroscope that connects straight to my phone and attached it to a bit of bent coat hanger and fed it inside the door up to the lock mechanism (had the end of the coat hanger bent into a small hook and had the camera attached with insulating tape to the very end) and since the camera has inbuilt leds at the tip it can show you what youre doing via your phone.

then just looked around for the door mechanism that wasnt working (easy to work it out, get someone to pull the door handle from the outside and its easy to see) and pull the cable using the small hook end you put on the coat hanger.

hopefully that makes sense describing it. oh and the camera was only a fiver to buy.

then I just bought a second hand door mechanism of ebay and that was it fixed. obviously get the door mechanism bought first so you have it to hand for doing this.

Oiling, and greasing the existing one didn't work either... I tried it and ended up with a stuck door again so better just buy a replacement .

moparopkop

RMS Regular
OP
moparopkop
Drives
vw golf
As long as the other 3 open you should be fine for mot. Tester told me before when I had the same issue it was OK as there were 3 other doors to get out in the event of an accident.

If it's not used to often I wouldn't start forcing it.... It will open itself randomly then you can sort it out then. It's a common prob on mk4s.

FAILED EARLIER

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Give the door panel a good thump around the lock mechanism area while trying to open the door from the inside. Worked for me but I had a new lock mechanism ready to fit. Worth a try.

_Stu_

RMS Regular
Had this issue in my B5.5 Passat and was an absolute ball ache to fix. Drivers rear door had deadlocked for about 3 months and one night it randomly unlocked when I opened the car with the remote. Decided to not lock the car again for a week while I waited on a new mechanism coming. Would have hated to try and fix it with the door closed.

RevT

RMS Regular
As said, easy enough fixed, all that really breaks in the process is a few door card clips. I had no boroscope like up above but lying upside down and a chisel and hammer will knock the mechanism into letting go I found.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Had the same on my previous mk4 golf. There are a couple of guides on youtube on different ways to get the door open, but none worked on mine as it was completely deadlocked (for over a year as I found out after). As mentioned, it is time consuming because of the difficult position, but generally easy enough. Best approach I found is lift rear bench out, as it best for access around the door card. Once doorcard is off and window mechanism out of the way, a chisel and a thump or two through the lock will break it open.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
On my passat, i had to pull the part where this cable attached to and that unlocked the door and its that cable which sticks inside the housing (in my passat mechanism anyway, not sure if its exactly the same in your golf)

20191005_122359.jpg

moparopkop

RMS Regular
OP
moparopkop
Drives
vw golf
On my passat, i had to pull the part where this cable attached to and that unlocked the door and its that cable which sticks inside the housing (in my passat mechanism anyway, not sure if its exactly the same in your golf)

View attachment 252771
When I pull that I can see it move inside on the mech....when I get my wee girl to try handle on outside no movement on the mech.....might have to cut the outside skin now

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Dont cut the outside, just smash that lock through the centre
FFA3B3F1-321F-4466-8F69-D1BBF47B3C43.jpeg

Straight forward enough from this position

-Pete-

RMS Regular
you dont even need to break the lock.... it just needs the mechanism pulled and the door will open, well it did in my case.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
you dont even need to break the lock.... it just needs the mechanism pulled and the door will open, well it did in my case.

I tried it with mine, but it was completely deadlocked. It had been for well over a year at that point.

moparopkop

RMS Regular
OP
moparopkop
Drives
vw golf
Dont cut the outside, just smash that lock through the centre
View attachment 252783
Straight forward enough from this position

Carrier out then ?
Did you cut that panel with a grinder?! The lock will be deadlocked, I've done hundreds of these on all models of the VAG range. Just break through the lock with a screwdriver/chisel or whatever you have to hand and replace it. There are less intrusive ways of taking them apart than a grinder 😂
Where do I hit with chisel
Do I take the carrier out

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
The reason the dead lock is because there is a lever inside the latch that stops the motor turning to open and close the locking mechanism. Just drive a screwdriver through the green cover and pull it off, you'll see yh inner workings of the lock from there. Pulling it from the proper opening levers is just sheer luck, trust me..... I've literally done hundreds of these things and it's pot luck if it decides to reopen itself.

moparopkop

RMS Regular
OP
moparopkop
Drives
vw golf
The reason the dead lock is because there is a lever inside the latch that stops the motor turning to open and close the locking mechanism. Just drive a screwdriver through the green cover and pull it off, you'll see yh inner workings of the lock from there. Pulling it from the proper opening levers is just sheer luck, trust me..... I've literally done hundreds of these things and it's pot luck if it decides to reopen itself.

Bit confused to were I hit it?