Mk4 Golf lowering issues

Dannymcc

RMS Regular
Bought a Mk4 Golf for the daily duties over winter, the original front shocks and springs have seen better days so have bought coilovers to replace the whole lot...
Ive fitted coilovers in many cars but now that I have researched it a bit more it would seem the MK4 platform causes issues when being lowered with drive shafts rubbing etc.

I have googled some things but there seems to be various opinions on stuff so I am wondering has any one on here got any direct experience with the following?

- Adjustable droplinks
- Engine raisers/spacers
- I will probably replace the top mounts and bearings while im at it, have heard Audi 80 or Powerflex are good upgrade? Or just go with originals

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Yeah, only really happens after 45mm, TT or Octavia vrs ARB is the way to cure it, but the shocks don't have the correct mounting point and use different droplinks.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
TT / R32 / whatever ARB that goes under the driveshaft. Don’t get shorter droplinks on the existing ARB, it doesn’t like it much. Heard of people snapping them before because they can be tensioned incorrectly.

If you raise the engine, you’ll only worsen the driveshaft rubbing problems but you could save your sump as it’ll go above the subframe.

Shorter topmounts just give an extra lowering, and it means you don’t need the coilovers wound down as much which can give a better ride as your not wallowing around the bottom of the suspension travel. Definitely a good move.