Mk5 Golf Double Din install issues

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Need a little help please, I'm wanting to fit my Pioneer double din into my recently bought Mk5 Golf. Went to fit it last night and ended up with a few issues.

Bought the ISO from Halfords (along with a new DAB ariel and fascia from Halfords too) and the problem I'm having is I don't know which switch live wire to use. The ISO loom has a red and orange wire that I don't know where to put, so can someone help?

Back of the loom,

20210924_144623.jpg

Factory connection,

20210924_144633.jpg

Uninstall red and orange wires,

20210924_144653.jpg

Also, which connector do I plug into the ISO?

20210924_144725.jpg

The next issue I'm having is I've made the Airbag light come one, because I removed the connector block from the dash and turned the car on 😭😭😭 Rookie mistake on my part. I tried plugging in my OBD reader, but it's also not talking back to me. It is getting power, but the Bluetooth function isn't switching on, anyone any ideas?

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
I have a feeling that the MK5 Head unit will be CANBUS, so won't have a permanent and switched supply like an aftermarket headunit needs. One of the those thick Red with orange stripe is gonna be permanent power, you'll have to find an ignition switched live elsewhere. I find the cig lighter is usually good.

Can't help on the aerial front, but I am guessing you need different adapters :-(

Delete/forget the OBD reader from your phone memory and re- pair it, should do the trick. Carista will have problems clearing an airbag light

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
Something to do with it being a diversity aerial with the mk5s isn’t it? Think you need a twin fakra to din adapter. I found signal was never as good as the mfd2 with aftermarket on mine and iirc quite a tight fit to get both fakra connections plugged in as the double end was a single piece.

Can’t help with power issues.

5209F419-31F8-42DB-B557-ABF0953E319A.png

Last edited:

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
Thank you both for your replies. I had a friend come over and he helped me get it sorted. Just like you said, the issue was finding a 'switch live' which the standard loom doesn't have, it just has a permanent live, so we have tapped into another wire for power and that sorted it.

I have also bought a powered DAB ariel so I'm guessing that will even remove the need for using the factory fit ariel?

Finally, just on the OBD reader, it seems like the Bluetooth function of the reader isn't turning on. In previous cars, I has 1 red light to identify power and the a blue light to show that the Bluetooth on the reader was discoverable. The problem seems to be that the Bluetooth function isn't turning on inside the reader before it can talk to my phone 🤷🏽‍♂️

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
Finally, just on the OBD reader, it seems like the Bluetooth function of the reader isn't turning on. In previous cars, I has 1 red light to identify power and the a blue light to show that the Bluetooth on the reader was discoverable. The problem seems to be that the Bluetooth function isn't turning on inside the reader before it can talk to my phone 🤷🏽‍♂️
some OBDII dongles want to be first in the list on your phone/tablet

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
some OBDII dongles want to be first in the list on your phone/tablet

Got the OBD issue sorted last night 🕺

Problem was me, not the car LOL I've changed my phone since the last time I used the reader and I needed to re-pair the device 🙈 Rookie error on my part