Mk5 gti cruise & mfsw troubleshooting

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
Right, after finding some motivation to try and get a few issues sorted I kind of wish I hadn’t bothered starting as I’m baffled by slip rings, control modules & coding.

Car is a 2006 manual gti. Previous owner fitted a dsg mfsw & a cruise stalk but these have never worked in my ownership. Cc does nothing & cc light is never illuminated on dash. MFSW buttons are all unresponsive. Horn does work.

Did a scan with a vag 405 reader & got got fault code P1643 which points to a cc fault but no further details.

I have a highline cluster (1K6920972D)) coded 0005403.

Steering wheel control module I have is 1K0953549AF which according to this table seems to be midline & does not support cc or mfsw.

6CC68878-EAC7-4D45-B358-42BA4F47931B.png

From researching various sites I think I need a 1K0953549CH steering module? As I have the AF module currently, does that mean my slip ring is type 2 as above & will then work with the CH module? Or could I have an AF module with a type 1 slip ring which would also need changed?

Lastly, if I get the CH module do I also need the additional harness below?

E0F25221-B472-4F9A-8FFF-D952B5AB5A39.png

Previously had the car plugged into another members vagcom and it all seemed to be coded up properly iro the cc & mfsw. Hoping a control module is all thats needed.

Absolutely melting my own head 🤯

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
If its coded then its not a module fault, if the module wont accept cruise and MFSW then it wont be able to be coded.

Broomy

RMS Regular
OP
Broomy
Drives
Mk5 GTi
If I swap the module for a ch version & it’s coded properly I assume it should just work after it’s installed then?

Reactions: Ben

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
slightly off topic, but does anyone remember a guy called, Barry “Baz” something like that, he was on the other car forum jon44 many years ago, from up around ballymena direction.... I remember he coded a cruise stick into my mkiv golf. Weird, but I just thought of my old golf and him when I read this message. Not sure if he’s still about, just a thought...

Last edited:

Broomy

RMS Regular
OP
Broomy
Drives
Mk5 GTi
I believe that's what's needed yes.

Any idea if I need the harness above along with the module?

slightly off topic, but does anyone remember a guy cal, Barry, “Baz” something like that, he was on the other car forum jon44 many years ago, from up around ballymena direction.... I remember he coded a cruise stick into my mkiv golf. Weird, but I just thought of my old golf and him when I read this message. Not sure if he’s still about, just a thought...

Saw his name on a few sites when I was reading up, seems to know his stuff.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Any idea if I need the harness above along with the module?

Saw his name on a few sites when I was reading up, seems to know his stuff.
slightly off topic, but does anyone remember a guy cal, Barry, “Baz” something like that, he was on the other car forum jon44 many years ago, from up around ballymena direction.... I remember he coded a cruise stick into my mkiv golf. Weird, but I just thought of my old golf and him when I read this message. Not sure if he’s still about, just a thought...
Yeah Bazmac - I think he own blok51 now. @blok51

Broomy

RMS Regular
OP
Broomy
Drives
Mk5 GTi
My module is an AF from the table above & midline. When we hooked it up previously I think it was coded but just not working. Seeing that table above makes me wonder if we were mistaken & it’ll still need coded. Confused.

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
Checking the coding would be the first port of call. That module you have posted is Likely a Chinese replica

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
My module is an AF from the table above & midline. When we hooked it up previously I think it was coded but just not working. Seeing that table above makes me wonder if we were mistaken & it’ll still need coded. Confused.
Midline will allow cruise but not mfsw, you need highline for that

My original was AP so you are looking for the same module as me, any of these should work for you.
1579003366287.png

Broomy

RMS Regular
OP
Broomy
Drives
Mk5 GTi
Midline will allow cruise but not mfsw, you need highline for that

My original was AP so you are looking for the same module as me, any of these should work for you.
View attachment 262555

After all the research I'm wondering if we only checked under engine in vcds but not steering wheel (or vice versa) to add the coding, strange that the cc didn't work. Thanks for that table btw.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
After all the research I'm wondering if we only checked under engine in vcds but not steering wheel (or vice versa) to add the coding, strange that the cc didn't work. Thanks for that table btw.
No problem, I put the table from the internet into a spreadsheet so I could filter, geeky I know lol