mk6 Fiesta Opinions

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

ricky_t

RMS Regular
Drives
M3Cx
Girlfriend is starting to learn to drive and is considering buying one of these,

any common problems to look out for?

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Nominate rex for a ban.

Great motors, know lots of people with the smaller 1.4 zetec and 1.4 tdci engines, great build quality, and quite funky, plenty to choose from and about to crash in price with the new fiesta replacement due anytime now.

If shes a girlie girl, get her to look at the "flame" edition, as its an amazing colour and lots of nice we extras like parking sensors etc.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
In truth the mk6 Fiesta has very few problems

Coil pack can fail,

Can sometimes go into limp home mode, sorted by a software update, shouldn't be an issue with newer models

Seat tipping leaver can fail on 3drs

Washer jets can leak water onto top of engine, which can cause the spark plugs to short out, easily prevented by applying some silicone sealant where the pipe joins the washer jet,

Early models were prone to clutch pedal failure, was subject to a recall so shouldn't be an issue.

Early models were prone to wind noise from top of front screen,

Zetec engines don't like dirty or the wrong grade of oil,

Check all the anti corrosion inspections are up to date, will be stamped in the service book,

Deprecation is only average simply because there are so many of them on the used market. However you will never have a problem selling on a used Fiesta

In truth they are great cars, handle really well, cheap to run ( a major service is £120 in Lindsays). They are well equipped especially the current run out models. Good crash protection.

Again I must stress how important the correct oil is, use the wrong stuff or don't change it at the correct interval and the engine will be scrap by 80k miles, personally I would only put the Ford stuff in it.

ossy2004

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 / V70
cant get better info on that really.

as pumesta said....i had a mk6 fiesta facelift, seat tipper went, the clutch got recalled and a wee screw nut was fitted.

in my experience, fuel management system came up a few times....which lead to the car not starting for short period of time, but in over all theyre great cars and can be made to look very nice easily also.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Also, avoid water in the diesel models as their air intake is fairly low and are prone to taking in the wet stuff from what i gather...

They dont like it (n)

ricky_t

RMS Regular
OP
ricky_t
Drives
M3Cx
Thanks for the advice guys, noticed they can be picked up very cheaply

MarkOne

RMS Regular
yeah i had my 03 zetec 1.4 for 3 years, clutch was replaced under warranty early on, never had any other of the mentioned probs or any others except my airbag light comin on but that was due to replacing the front seats with sparcos and a loose wire during transit! crackin motors and i miss mine everyday lol, good on the fuel as well!!!

MondeoST24

Drives
Ford Mondeo ST24
i had a 2003 lx model lovely car but the clutch went the seat tipper went and watch out for water coming in the passenger side

most of these where fixed with the face lift model think is 2005 on wards i loved the car but it was a 1.25 wanted somthing so grannys wouldnt be beating me off the line ha ha def a good learner car just get 1.4 or higher

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
just get 1.4 or higher

Pointless paying the extra insurance, road tax etc for the 1.4 there is only 5 bhp difference. Obviously if it was me I would go for the ST, but for a new driver the 1.6 TDCI would give the best compromise between running costs and performance (and you don't know how much is grieves me to recommend a TDCI)

Urban 52.5 mpg
extra urban 68.9 mpg
combined 62.8 mpg
0-60 11.2
max speed 112
torque 204 Nm (15 more than the ST)
co2 119 (less to tax than any of the petrol model)
Plus its only group 5 insurance, or group 6 for the sporty zetec-s)

Also a cheeky remap will see good gains on these engines

joegcoupe

RMS Regular
Drives
Jeep Patriot 2.0
I had a 03 1.4 Zetec for 2 years and it was a great motor
Sporty and was great to drive

It was driven very hard and never give any problem at all
Just got basic service and thats it
25k was raked up on it

Recommended it to my mate and he bought an A190
and he is having all sorts of throttle body trouble

for the price of these wee cars i really recommend them (y)
5/5

nicolec2

RMS Regular
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
i didnt mind my wee fiesta, they look nice, and are comfy enough wee cars, plenty of room in it. but it was the 1.4tdci which was noisy and not that great where mpg was concerned. cheap £35 road tax tho

Yaris-rick, car looked well parked beside mine yesterday!

ricky_t

RMS Regular
OP
ricky_t
Drives
M3Cx
she would be getting the petrol no derv sh!te lol

Thanks nicole it was pretty dirty tho! I love the mx supprised you havnt had hassle for the plate tho!

nicolec2

RMS Regular
Drives
2x Mini, 1xEunos
thats cus they're not metro!! still dont like police drivin behind me cus i think they'll stop me lol

Arfur

RMS Regular
Drives
ST170/Passat TDI
I had a 1.4 zetec, had various problems with it most of them have been mentioned above apart from the problem with rust on the seams between the door frames and skins... Overall it handled well but was painfully slow.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.