Mk6 GTI bike bus

keith5d

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI
After searching for a clean 5 door Mk5 GTI (which I’m convinced doesn’t exist), I’ve ended up with a Mk6 and from the couple of days I’ve had it I absolutely love it!
I’d travelled all over the country looking at some absolute sh!tters of cars trying to find something that I could fob off to the wife as being worth handing over hard currency for but someone’s clearly hoarding any decent Mk5’s. Even when you look for Mk6’s there were only 2 5 doors for sale in the whole of Northern Ireland, and only 1 with the tartan cloth seats.

So a trip from Derry to Lisburn saw us bringing that one home, and me and the young cub took in some of the sights on the road back…
732C0324-52CA-4B5C-9027-C6242712C78C.jpeg

He likes the car really, he was just ragin’ he wasn’t allowed a bag of skittles…he’s never had a bag, but he really wants to 😂

Sonny and I mountain bike so had to get bars for the roof, and a mate was selling a set of genuine VW ones so picked them up and mounted this morning ahead of the weekend. This afternoon I had a shoot on so stopped nearby while I had my cameras with me and got a couple of shots before it’s dirty again…

525D2BE3-DE09-4CC0-A2ED-5579582AB164.jpeg

BDFF630C-E619-423F-8D4E-E36A3B67292C.jpeg
0A369D11-5F31-4D13-8FF2-5A23E4D70982.jpeg
A806314D-9284-4541-B4E5-3082E0FB7BF7.jpeg

For an 09 car it scrubs up well, and should do family duties for the next wee while rightly. Sitting on 95,000, full year’s test, interior is really clean, no strange noises and pulls well.
There’s a few bits to tidy up, and some preventative maintenance that’ll be done to future proof it (timing chain/tensioner/R8 coil packs etc), it’ll probably get mapped sometime soon, and MAYBE some mild lowering but I really don’t want bikes bouncing off the roof because there can be more than the value of the car up there sometimes 😬

Gavlar

RMS Regular
That looks well!

Roofbar wind deflector would help with any wind noise and look well

They do more sizes than this one too

Edit: better link here

Screenshot_20240301_220846.jpg

Last edited:

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
Health to drive, mk6 gtis seem to be rare enough on the road!
Get the tensioner done ASAP! And if you're doing the chain yourself I have the timing chain locking tools in the shed you can borrow if you need.

Gambit

RMS Regular
Mk6 in my mind are the unloved/underrated golf gti all because of the timing tensioner failures from factory and I think soon they'll become desirable especially the likes of the edition 35

I'd be surprised if there are any out there still left on the factory fitted tensioner and majority will have the revised one

keith5d

RMS Regular
OP
keith5d
Drives
Golf GTI
Health to drive, mk6 gtis seem to be rare enough on the road!
Get the tensioner done ASAP! And if you're doing the chain yourself I have the timing chain locking tools in the shed you can borrow if you need.
There’s definitely not a lot of them about!
Definitely not doing the chain myself lol, I’ve neither the facilities or abilities to attempt it the mechanic will be taking car of that.
Mk6 in my mind are the unloved/underrated golf gti all because of the timing tensioner failures from factory and I think soon they'll become desirable especially the likes of the edition 35

I'd be surprised if there are any out there still left on the factory fitted tensioner and majority will have the revised one

Maybe it wasn’t enough of an evolution of the mk5 but bar the looks being not as striking as the 5 everything else feels like an improvement. 4 to 5 was a revolution, 5 to 6 was a mild evolution but feels a more solid car on the whole.
I’ve yet to check what tensioner is fitted to this, I know you can see through an inspection port but just haven’t had the time yet.

Meeky

RMS Regular
Drives
Corsa VXR
Sorry to hear that man. What happened? Timing chain issues?
Cheers lad. Yeah basically Timing chain went. I was on the Ards carriageway from Dundonald to Ards and sitting around 70ish and the whole car cut out..no lights..nothing. Brake pedal and steering was so hard I was lucky to get round the roundabout and roll to a stop. Plugged it in and gave me all sorts of codes and going by "Google" I thought it could be fixed. Took it to a mechanic i know and he stripped it. Metal shavings all in it. Oil wasn't getting through to the top of the engine :worried: I rang around all Vw places and other mechanics and still to this day I've no idea why this happened lol always serviced and looked after. Anyways he bought it off me and I got myself a new Cupra 290 for 3 years to do me and now I'm in a Vxr lol but yes I would have another one @Philljdm

pizza85

RMS Regular
Drives
E92 M3
Timing chain had stretched and guides were broken in mine too when it just wouldn't start for me but thankfully no lasting damage! I was v lucky. Changed at 100k basically.

keith5d

RMS Regular
OP
keith5d
Drives
Golf GTI
I’m on 97k at the minute so really need to investigate if I’ve the updated tensioner or not and get it in for a chain replacement if it’s on the original. Might as well hit a couple of other jobs while it’s in too.
Pcv has never been replaced and it seems to be a common enough thing to break, and the engine sits between 75-90 depending on driving style so a new thermostat wouldn’t go amiss at the same time.

keith5d

RMS Regular
OP
keith5d
Drives
Golf GTI
On a brighter note I’ve 1250 miles on the car since buying it on 26th of February and absolutely loving it. Compared to my old A6 it’s like a go cart and handles daily family life perfectly for us at the minute.
It’s surprisingly decent on a run giving 40mpg today from Derry to Gortin with a bike on the roof! I know they aren’t exactly little eco wagons but but still nice to see 🙌
Haven’t done a tap to the car bar keep throwing petrol into it and enjoying driving for the sake of driving.

Attachments

• 7CFA15FA-DD65-44A7-A209-F5C7966485A5.jpeg
    7CFA15FA-DD65-44A7-A209-F5C7966485A5.jpeg
    634.5 KB · Views: 0

Meeky

RMS Regular
Drives
Corsa VXR
I’m on 97k at the minute so really need to investigate if I’ve the updated tensioner or not and get it in for a chain replacement if it’s on the original. Might as well hit a couple of other jobs while it’s in too.
Pcv has never been replaced and it seems to be a common enough thing to break, and the engine sits between 75-90 depending on driving style so a new thermostat wouldn’t go amiss at the same time.
Aye definitely get it checked out mate. I replaced PCV valve and cam follower in mine as well. Mine was also stage 1 remap to 255bhp i think, so was quick enough and still got good mpg (but that doesn't bother me lol) Mine was 2011 Candy White. Lovely when clean. Enjoy mate.