MK7 Golf R/S3 Stage 2

TIM45

RMS Member
Hi all. I currently have a 2016 Golf R Dsg.

Wanting to go stage 2. Currently have a Forge intake pipe/turbo elbow. Getting R600 intake, downpipe and intercooler soon.

Has anybody got any information or experience from going stage 2 with Revo in Bangor, Apr with Autotune in B,mena or Racingline with Torque Tronics in Kells.

Also anyone gone down the bespoke map route.

I'm not chasing numbers, just want a reliable map that's not going to work the turbo too hard!

Cheets

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
Hi all. I currently have a 2016 Golf R Dsg.

Wanting to go stage 2. Currently have a Forge intake pipe/turbo elbow. Getting R600 intake, downpipe and intercooler soon.

Has anybody got any information or experience from going stage 2 with Revo in Bangor, Apr with Autotune in B,mena or Racingline with Torque Tronics in Kells.

Also anyone gone down the bespoke map route.

I'm not chasing numbers, just want a reliable map that's not going to work the turbo too hard!

Cheets
As said above, I'm part of TG Performance in Bangor.

We've several stage 2 Golf R's done now and none at all with issues.

Drop us a message to the facebook page for more info.

Jason

RMS Regular
I've personally seen a few rolling roads at Autotune with the APR stage 1 hitting 400bhp each time, expensive map but the development must be well done.

TIM45

RMS Member
OP
T
400bhp is alot for stage 1.

Am I right in saying Apr only do a map for 95ron and 98ron fuel?

Curious as I run mine on 97ron. Being the best we can get here.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
Had mine done by DMS and only bothered with the downpipe which they said was fine for stage 2 and it made 390hp. They did say it may make a bit more if I had an upgraded intercooler.

To be honest I didn't feel a huge difference between stage 1 and 2

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
What intercoolers are recommended for these? Any particular size or just the usual Airtec/Forge equivalent?

TIM45

RMS Member
OP
T
What intercoolers are recommended for these? Any particular size or just the usual Airtec/Forge equivalent?
I was told by a few mechanics that have fitted various intercoolers on the MK7 R that Wagner are the easiest to install and are a great job.
Had mine done by DMS and only bothered with the downpipe which they said was fine for stage 2 and it made 390hp. They did say it may make a bit more if I had an upgraded intercooler.

To be honest I didn't feel a huge difference between stage 1 and 2
What made you go across to England to get your stage 2 map? Was it mapped to run on 97ron fuel? Cheers

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I’ve gone through Stages 1, 2, 3 and 3+ with Revo with the software installed by @Graham and chris at TG

If you’ve any questions, fire away or if you want some persuasion for stage 3 lol

TIM45

RMS Member
OP
T
I’ve gone through Stages 1, 2, 3 and 3+ with Revo with the software installed by @Graham and chris at TG

If you’ve any questions, fire away or if you want some persuasion for stage 3 lol
Thanks for answering a few questions.👍

Bare with me!!

Am I right in saying Revo can do your map specifically for 97ron?

At Stage 2 did you upgrade your spark plugs and fuel pump? Or just wait until you went stage 3?

What downpipe did you go for or did you go full exhaust? I'm looking to keep it as close to stock sounding as I can.

Much turbo lag with stage 2?

Your opinion on stage 2 drivability over stock ?

Are you semi auto? Did you get the TCU map at Revo too? Thoughts?

Cheers

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Am I right in saying Revo can do your map specifically for 97ron?

Yes and it can be adjusted if you buy their SPS switch (£30-40 second hand) from 97 to 99 to 100 Ron

At Stage 2 did you upgrade your spark plugs and fuel pump? Or just wait until you went stage 3?

Spark plugs yeah, NGK racing ones that you would get in a RS7, I’ll get you the part number when I get home.

Fuel pumps are not required at all really, not even at Stage 3 but they found out that they were required more as a preventative measure in warmer climates or for clients that race to help improve the fuel pressure under extreme heat - I changed my HPFP internals to Autotech abe LPFP to a Walbro hence how I am Stage 3+

What downpipe did you go for or did you go full exhaust? I'm looking to keep it as close to stock sounding as I can.

I have a Milltek Cast down pipe with resonated cat back Milltek exhaust with valveless oval tips - I went resonated as it is quiet and not overly loud compared to stock.

Much turbo lag with stage 2?

Depends how you drive it obviously, better being in a lower gear but I tend to always knock it into S when I go to over take anyway to reduce stress on the clutch.

Your opinion on stage 2 drivability over stock ?

I love it ane you wouldn’t know you had the guts of 400bhp under the bonnet. I drive my car daily and have done so for 2.5 years.

Are you semi auto? Did you get the TCU map at Revo too? Thoughts?

Yeah DSG and I’ve Revo TCU Stage 3 software installed

Overall, I’m a very happy returning Revo customer as I’ve faith in the product and support. I’ve had zero issues with all my cars that have ran their software hence why I keep returning.

There are other companies like APR, MRC, TVS etc.... but what I say to potential clients of theirs, just go with who you feel you will get the most from, support and value for money

If you’ve any more questions, fire away. I’ve raced my car 5 times, launched it probably 60-80 times, does 0-60 in 3.17s and the quarter mile in 11.19s

Drives like the day I bought it and on long runs will return 40+ mpg! If it had 5 doors, I’d keep it for ever lol

TIM45

RMS Member
OP
T
Yes and it can be adjusted if you buy their SPS switch (£30-40 second hand) from 97 to 99 to 100 Ron

Spark plugs yeah, NGK racing ones that you would get in a RS7, I’ll get you the part number when I get home.

Fuel pumps are not required at all really, not even at Stage 3 but they found out that they were required more as a preventative measure in warmer climates or for clients that race to help improve the fuel pressure under extreme heat - I changed my HPFP internals to Autotech abe LPFP to a Walbro hence how I am Stage 3+

I have a Milltek Cast down pipe with resonated cat back Milltek exhaust with valveless oval tips - I went resonated as it is quiet and not overly loud compared to stock.

Depends how you drive it obviously, better being in a lower gear but I tend to always knock it into S when I go to over take anyway to reduce stress on the clutch.

I love it ane you wouldn’t know you had the guts of 400bhp under the bonnet. I drive my car daily and have done so for 2.5 years.

Yeah DSG and I’ve Revo TCU Stage 3 software installed

Overall, I’m a very happy returning Revo customer as I’ve faith in the product and support. I’ve had zero issues with all my cars that have ran their software hence why I keep returning.

There are other companies like APR, MRC, TVS etc.... but what I say to potential clients of theirs, just go with who you feel you will get the most from, support and value for money

If you’ve any more questions, fire away. I’ve raced my car 5 times, launched it probably 60-80 times, does 0-60 in 3.17s and the quarter mile in 11.19s

Drives like the day I bought it and on long runs will return 40+ mpg! If it had 5 doors, I’d keep it for ever lol
I appreciate your time answering my questions.
You've given me the answers I was looking.
Plus, you've made me want to go stage 3. Nice figures.

Thanks again. 👍