MK7 Golf R

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
After months of indecisiveness I finally made my mind up and bought a car.

Head was a bit fried. Had wanted an E92 M3 for a long time, but after months of looking and finally finding a great car, the deal fell through and I lost heart in them. None I’d seen afterwards ticked as many boxes as that one, so I knew anything else would be a bit of a disappointment. Plus all the horror stories of engine issues, servicing and running costs put me off a bit, so it was back to the drawing board.

Then being busy with logs and general hoofing about, I’d notions of a VW Amarok. Problem then is, I’d tie up most of my money in something with little to no entertainment factor, albeit stupidly practical. (My inner culchie would have been living the absolute dream though) Plus my old trusty Passat estate is already doing all those jobs well enough anyway.

So I ended up back looking at Golfs, which is where my heart lies. As an all round package, I don’t think there’s better out there, and besides an Audi S3 which is essentially the same thing, I struggled to look past them. Nothing ticked as many boxes.

Few weeks of keeping an eye out on the classifieds, I found a few that seemed to fit the bill. I’m keeping my old Passat, so didn’t need anything practical, although if I had to have 1 single car, an R estate would 100% be the machine. Came down to a prefence in colour / spec and because there’s plenty out there, I was happy to shop about for exactly the right car. Luckily one came up in Agnew’s Mallusk, a stone’s throw from work. Went up for a nosey and knew it was the one for me. I had looked at a few other R’s, but this one stood out.

Bit of dealing (and a girlfriend who works in Agnews.....) got a great price, and picked the car up last Saturday. I must say, Agnews were fantastic throughout and Ivan Cameron who I dealt with was a gentleman. Couldn’t recommend them enough.

A good clean today and got my reg transferred on, so finally got a few pictures.

BE573917-7138-435D-A430-37D79DBE3185.jpeg
00B22075-98A8-48A0-B15B-8ABFB93C98F3.jpeg
C9D6FE74-21CE-4EFE-9C55-24D4FED500DB.jpeg
2FE649AE-444B-4DFC-B437-A73B7DCB8BE2.jpeg
3244E6A3-C335-4452-B5DC-8ED1EAEBAD48.jpeg
4A27D4D1-88A3-44F0-97B7-D1A5C0CB1BDD.jpeg
AD4CDB22-40CA-43C8-B82B-C3A2570D4B8C.jpeg
40BF94AE-8704-4C6A-A60F-D2F1D6EFF2B0.jpeg

1 week in, I absolutely love the thing. Keep thinking I should have went dsg, but that notion disappears as soon as I drive it.

Grip is amazing, love the layout inside, love the looks and when you’re done arsing about at a million mph everywhere, it’s still a practical, comfortable all round machine. Other than selling the passat and buying an R estate or a fresher MK7.5 R, (love the virtual dials) I can’t see me changing anytime soon.

In terms of plans, I hope to follow a largely similar formula to the last Golf. Stage 2 power, coilovers, big brakes, splitter and some suited wheels. Half tempted to go full retard and get 2 fixed back bucket seats and remove the back seats, but we’ll see. The standard seats have impressed an awful lot more than I thought they would, plus they’re heated, so they could very well stay.

Bit of an essay (more for my own sake, terrible memory and I forget too easily my history with cars) but cheers for reading.

Cheers,
Ian

Attachments

• 6299AC94-8729-4950-A680-B1910E9DF388.jpeg
    6299AC94-8729-4950-A680-B1910E9DF388.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 286

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Fantastic Ian!! The prets suit a white R so well. Love it (y).

Looking forward to seeing your plans for it, not enough modified ones about.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Will look great once you do your.usual touches. Though a white 3dr on Prets already looks brilliant.

HTD

redanni

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 R / MK2 RS
Oh that is lovely. That Ivan man is a complete header lol

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Looks the ticket, 3dr on prets is really hard to beat. Is it on lowering springs at the minute?

Sharkey

RMS Regular
Really nice! Ive thought about changing to an E92 M3 manys a time, and your reasons are exactly the same as mine as to why I haven't.

As an all rounder the Golf R is hard to beat!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I keep coming back to this. Honestly, it’s the nicest R I’ve seen. Perfect combo.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
They really do tick a lot of boxes the ol' Golf R. Don't forget 500bhp is just a wee turbo and exhaust upgrade away! :-D

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Cheers men.

Looks the ticket, 3dr on prets is really hard to beat. Is it on lowering springs at the minute?

Nah totally standard, on uneven ground there.

They really do tick a lot of boxes the ol' Golf R. Don't forget 500bhp is just a wee turbo and exhaust upgrade away! :-D

Aye was speaking to the boys in Torque Tronix about theres during the week. Mental fast. Think stage 2 will do me rightly.

Oh that is lovely. That Ivan man is a complete header lol

Aye, he can drive. Lol

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Lovely Ian. Everything about that is perfect.

There was a modified Golf R at the Bishopscourt drag racing event last weekend which ran an 11.9 sec time. I was properly impressed at how it got off the line.