MK7 Golf Water Leak

Alastair_S

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTI PP
A few days ago I first noticed a small wet patch in the spare wheel well of the GTI. I didn’t think anything of it and thought it might have just been run off from opening the boot that had splashed in. Although reading some other forums, and with all the rain recently, I got paranoid and done some more investigating earlier today. Unfortunately it seems more than a small puddle in boot! :tired_face: The entire rear headliner surrounding the boot is soaking wet and there’s visible water trickling down the pillars, past the parcel shelf, and into the boot.

Other forum posts talk a lot about the grommets on pthe rear boot release drain pipe perishing and causing a leak in the boot. However mine still seems intact and I feel like the leak is coming from higher up, somewhere near the top of the tailgate. Or maybe the panoramic sunroof? Seems too far back though.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Is this best to be brought to VW for them to investigate, resolve, and dry out the headlining, or would an independent garage be able to fix easily enough? Or maybe even a simple DIY job?

AD43E50B-992B-4E0E-95FE-7F0088A77263.jpeg

0F18D534-9BD7-4B77-B452-6131B7BCAD30.jpeg

49FDF1FE-FEF4-43BD-9E7C-8B7126C6440A.jpeg

8C203CF6-5087-4676-BF34-363B79B7D17E.jpeg

7760B679-AE67-4C86-AB1A-7E448EBBDF74.jpeg

FCB85BBA-D484-4E15-B86D-B1A4D39D1F5E.jpeg

6283DA19-9190-420A-BA9D-A34FCDBDD264.jpeg

Dervhead

RMS Regular
Drives
SEAT
Rear washer jet? Aerial? It’s coming in very high up isn’t It. You wouldn’t think there’s that many things it could be - the sunroof must be a suspect as well as you say. One things for sure, it’s not running upwards to your headlining.

Spent many an hour in my mk4 with the carpet/interior out and the place covered in talcum powder :grinning:

Last edited:

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
Common problem on them is the tube from the rear boot lock, it cracks or comes loose and allows the water to build up in the tailgate, then when you open the tailgate it runs down the side of the window and I’d guess down the cable grommets into the car. Then in your case flows into the boot.

Alastair_S

RMS Regular
OP
Alastair_S
Drives
Golf GTI PP
Rear washer jet? Aerial? It’s coming in very high up isn’t It.

Havent used the rear washer jet in months so don’t think it could be that. Possibly the shark fin aerial as you say. It’s definitely around that area where it’s getting in. I’ll maybe run the hose pipe over it tomorrow before taking it anywhere.

I’ll happily take out the carpet in the boot to get that dried out but it’s the headliner I’d rather not touch.

Common problem on them is the tube from the rear boot lock, it cracks or comes loose and allows the water to build up in the tailgate, then when you open the tailgate it runs down the side of the window and I’d guess down the cable grommets into the car. Then in your case flows into the boot.
At first I didn’t think it was this as it was too low down and the grommet just above the latch is still intact. But makes sense that water could build up in the tailgate and flow back down from the top whenever it’s opened.

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
Pour some water into the badge and see it it flows out the grommet. If not then you’ve got at least part if not all your problem. I don’t think the replacement grommet and tube is very dear from memory. Check the tube isn’t blocked also.

Alastair_S

RMS Regular
OP
Alastair_S
Drives
Golf GTI PP
Pour some water into the badge and see it it flows out the grommet. If not then you’ve got at least part if not all your problem. I don’t think the replacement grommet and tube is very dear from memory. Check the tube isn’t blocked also.

Great idea, didn’t think of that (y) Yeah they’re only about £5 by the looks of things.

chrisd

RMS Regular
Drives
Tiguan
It's the panoramic roof the drains have probably blocked. Common issue in tiguans removing the spider traps and blowing out the debris with some Compressed air will solve the issue but don't go mad with the compressed air or you'll split the joint in the tubes.

Hopefully these videos are of some help

A quick Google search also brings up some guides for the mk7 golf.

Last edited:

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Happened to a lad in my work. His spare wheel well had been that full, the water had run down into the rear foot wells. It took 8 days for the rear bench seat to fully dry out in our drying room at work.

His started as the boot lid drain but was still leaking. We left all the interior out and place kitchen roll around the boot. I tried all of the suggestions on the forums to solve and in the end it was the rear light cluster. The seal had disintegrated. New light cluster and it's been bone dry since.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Going by your pictures you don’t seem to have a pan roof? Haven’t seen any leaks like this in the Golfs before but realistically the only place it’s coming in is the roof aerial or sunroof drains ( if you have one). You can easily pop down the plastic trim at the back of the head cloth above the boot and gently look up the roof skin to see where it is coming from. Just put your fingers between the boot seal and the trim and pull down. They aren’t tight. Don’t force your arm up between the head cloth and the roof as they are easily kinked.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Going by your pictures you don’t seem to have a pan roof? Haven’t seen any leaks like this in the Golfs before but realistically the only place it’s coming in is the roof aerial or sunroof drains ( if you have one). You can easily pop down the plastic trim at the back of the head cloth above the boot and gently look up the roof skin to see where it is coming from. Just put your fingers between the boot seal and the trim and pull down. They aren’t tight. Don’t force your arm up between the head cloth and the roof as they are easily kinked.
It's my old car, it does have the panoramic roof.

Alastair_S

RMS Regular
OP
Alastair_S
Drives
Golf GTI PP
It's got the pan roof, they're just really bad photos :joy:

Planning on stripping the boot trim out and running the hose over the car tomorrow, hopefully that will give me a better idea of where it's getting in. Picking up a new boot release drain pipe from VW on Monday, will change that anyway even if that's not the problem, and will see if i can find the spider traps on the roof drains to rip them out.

Alastair_S

RMS Regular
OP
Alastair_S
Drives
Golf GTI PP
I think I’ve found the source. The left electrical rubber boot at the top of the tailgate is quite loose and was able to easily pull it off compared to the right, which still seems to be sealed.
58FE7191-7B41-409F-9371-A769ACC783C7.jpeg

Pouring water around this area...lo and behold...just trickles straight down into the car. Bingo! Thinking a touch of silicone might solve? Or ideally a brand new part fitted and sealed?

Boot release drain pipe was still intact and drains perfectly. Sunroof drains with no issues as well.
57396F6F-B675-4AC9-BC34-1A14680D7990.jpeg

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
I think I’ve found the source. The left electrical rubber boot at the top of the tailgate is quite loose and was able to easily pull it off compared to the right, which still seems to be sealed.
View attachment 311655

Pouring water around this area...lo and behold...just trickles straight down into the car. Bingo! Thinking a touch of silicone might solve? Or ideally a brand new part fitted and sealed?

Boot release drain pipe was still intact and drains perfectly. Sunroof drains with no issues as well.
View attachment 311673
Try a new part before the pile of silicone. However probably have to take all wires out to route back through the new part?

Alastair_S

RMS Regular
OP
Alastair_S
Drives
Golf GTI PP
Try a new part before the pile of silicone. However probably have to take all wires out to route back through the new part?

Yeah I can’t see any other way around fitting a new part without having to rewire everything 8-( Which is why I’d sway more towards some silicone if done neatly

redxl77

RMS Regular
Silicone tape could be neater but may not stick too well to the rubber.

Last edited:

D.murray

RMS Member
Drives
Mk7 2.0 gt t
A few days ago I first noticed a small wet patch in the spare wheel well of the GTI. I didn’t think anything of it and thought it might have just been run off from opening the boot that had splashed in. Although reading some other forums, and with all the rain recently, I got paranoid and done some more investigating earlier today. Unfortunately it seems more than a small puddle in boot! :tired_face: The entire rear headliner surrounding the boot is soaking wet and there’s visible water trickling down the pillars, past the parcel shelf, and into the boot.

Other forum posts talk a lot about the grommets on pthe rear boot release drain pipe perishing and causing a leak in the boot. However mine still seems intact and I feel like the leak is coming from higher up, somewhere near the top of the tailgate. Or maybe the panoramic sunroof? Seems too far back though.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Is this best to be brought to VW for them to investigate, resolve, and dry out the headlining, or would an independent garage be able to fix easily enough? Or maybe even a simple DIY job?

View attachment 311452
View attachment 311454
View attachment 311455
View attachment 311456
View attachment 311457
View attachment 311458
View attachment 311459

Hi bud sorry to dig up and old thread but I'm having a similar problem to yourself been searching for a while to find anything close to what I'm having with nothing. I had water coming through the bootlid wiring grommet. Sealed it up left it to dry and tested it by pouring water around the fitting. Left the plastic trim off for a few days and seemed to be dry. I'm now getting water in from the c pillar/grab handle area. Did selling the rear wire harness stop water coming In from the c pillar? Any help would be much appreciated
Snapchat-1471859669.jpg

Attachments

• Snapchat-1442784574.jpg
    Snapchat-1442784574.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 93

D.murray

RMS Member
Drives
Mk7 2.0 gt t
@D.murray Do you have a pano roof?
Yeah bud. Sorry for not stating. I've tried pouring a jug of water down the rear drain holes and both seem to be running out as they should. I've also pulled some of the trim off and looked up the head linning and the drain tube itself all seems ok

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Could be a pin hole leak - where are you based? I'm Dundonald and have a pipe cleaner I have used in peoples sun roofs to clear the drains completely - I have seen online people putting silicon sealant around the joints as it is a common problem for the attachments to start to fail

D.murray

RMS Member
Drives
Mk7 2.0 gt t
Could be a pin hole leak - where are you based? I'm Dundonald and have a pipe cleaner I have used in peoples sun roofs to clear the drains completely - I have seen online people putting silicon sealant around the joints as it is a common problem for the attachments to start to fail
Im based sw Scotland dumfries and galloway. I've just had another look there and poured a jug of water round the loom grommet and I may still have a slight leak coming in from there just in the process of cleaning it up will let it dry off and try reseal again with any luck this will sort the headache out.

Alastair_S

RMS Regular
OP
Alastair_S
Drives
Golf GTI PP
Hi bud sorry to dig up and old thread but I'm having a similar problem to yourself been searching for a while to find anything close to what I'm having with nothing. I had water coming through the bootlid wiring grommet. Sealed it up left it to dry and tested it by pouring water around the fitting. Left the plastic trim off for a few days and seemed to be dry. I'm now getting water in from the c pillar/grab handle area. Did selling the rear wire harness stop water coming In from the c pillar? Any help would be much appreciated View attachment 343604

Replied to your PM 🙂