MK7 VW GOLF R'S

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Wasn't it some sort of turbo or wrx Subaru we sat up the pipe of in a (admittedly track prep'd) 1.6 MX-5 @Gaz86 ?

Technically it was the other way round, it was sat up our asses, then you pulled out for a heroic overtake of the car in front and the scoob did all they could to keep up lol at this point I was laughing my ass off and holding on to the windscreen to keep my bum in the passenger seat

Gaz86

RMS Regular
I think it was largely a case of you had the bigger cojones though lol The WRX should have sailed past us that night. We had the weight advantage for sure and definitely would be more agile in the bends but on that straight they should have beaten us. Was hilarious nonetheless

KevM

RMS Regular
Iv lived with an Impreza Classic Turbo for a year and drove it really really really hard. I’d say in the whole time I had it, I only got to within 65/70% of exploiting its handling limits. I had a couple of big scares in it where I as a driver, pre-empted a problem that the car just completely took in its stride.

I feel a Golf R might be a tad heavy and woolly to trouble a jap down a back road

Track/circuit environment will probably suit the Golf better than an Evo/Impreza. That’s not what they’re about.

Last edited:

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Ffs my wifes mildly tuned at the time st focus was quicker than an early Impreza so as for them on a par with a golf r is a joke imo .golf In An entirely different league to a mk2 st focus lol.proven fact btw before the arse comments lol.
Really I don’t give a toot but the sh1t talked on here at times is funny .the closest I got to owning a golf r was a test drive nd I didn’t buy it so there’s my opinion of them .As for a daily for the family ,I would totally have one ,if I couldn’t get an s3 that is .

Lee

RMS Regular
I do kind of get what @Stu Beck is saying. The grip of a classic Impreza for example with good rubber is mind bending. I had a lightly breathed on Type R and its ability was wasted on the road (and me). But your judgement is clouded by your love for them! A standard UK Turbo just wouldn't cut it

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
I’m taking speed out of it because either one can be tuned to whatever you want. For fun and sheer exhilaration the golf just doesn’t have it.

colin84

RMS Regular
tenor-1.gif

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
I’ve never seen a Golf R driven fast on anything but the flattest straightest pieces of dual carriageway. I’ve certainly been held up quite a few times by them on back roads, having never driven one I just assumed they were a dull drivers car with no encouragement or enjoyment to be pushed up the road.

Having driven a few generations of Audi S3s that’s exactly how I felt driving them, I’d rather be revving the nuts clean off my ****ty Toyota.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
I do miss having my 95 WRX ra on the road, such good craic. Could I use it everyday? Probably. Would I? No.

0-60 times, lap times by journos and all that are good pub ammo, but they don't equate to real world experience of a car. A golf r is a bloody good car, and a very usuable performance daily. Leave me utterly cold though.

Crux of it as already stated in the thread is to try the car out and see if you gel with it.