MK7 VW GOLF R'S

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
I’m talking handling and grip. Not even close. As for power Imprezas and evos can be tuned to anything depending on your budget.

By the same logic a golf could be tuned to anywhere on a limitless budget, sure there was a 600hp golf built by a 65 year old.

But I would prefer an Evo or STi myself.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
By the same logic a golf could be tuned to anywhere on a limitless budget, sure there was a 600hp golf built by a 65 year old.

But I would prefer an Evo or STi myself.
Never had an evo and I hated my scoob for the short period I owned it .

Last edited:

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
A golf r is a quick golf but they are dull as dishwater. They are not a drivers car. Drive an Impreza or evo on a back road and then drive an R and you will be very disappointed.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
Right, sounds very factual.

How many have you driven against each other?

Subaru fan boys seem to be a stranger bunch than Golf R fan boys.
I actually give up. This forum should be renamed VAG or nothing.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Golf R daily then maybe some special edition Subaru would be a good combination. RB5 or a P1 ideally as 22Bs are silly money now.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
In all honesty you are talking rubbish with zero facts. A standard Impreza feels slow compared to a golf r, and I don’t think it handles any better on a back road. and I am a jap fanboy.

And I have drove both.
You obviously weren’t driving them hard enough. As for talking rubbish, earlier in this thread they were compared to a gtr ffs. LMAO

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Wasn't it some sort of turbo or wrx Subaru we sat up the pipe of in a (admittedly track prep'd) 1.6 MX-5 @Gaz86 ?

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
As for talking rubbish, earlier in this thread they were compared to a gtr ffs. LMAO

Not true. A ‘smaller brother of a GT-R’ was how I worded it I think. Similar in the way they have AWD, very sure footed, capable in all weather conditions and relatively easy to drive them fast. Obviously a GT-R is a different beast and in a whole other league.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Quick Google shows the Golf quicker round hockenheim than a Scooby. I've no horse in this race, I'm not a huge fan of either, they both seem to attract certain types but find it funny how wound up some people get :laughing:

The Golf is bound to be a very good daily no matter what.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
If you take the latest gen of each, they have roughly the same power and torque, the Golf is 100kg lighter, does 0-62 in almost half a second quicker and has a higher top speed. Of course all that means is the Golf will win a drag race and the Subaru brakes are better than the Golfs, but what it really means is that the Golf is at least on par with the Subaru and those who deny it are blinded by their love for the Impreza or maybe their past where the Impreza and Evo were the king.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I have had both and I would daily a Golf R everyday over an impreza. They are a very capable car.

MarkM

RMS Regular
Driving them hard, the main difference is a dedicated 4wd system vs. Haldex. As much as I dislike golfs, I’m a fan of modem cars over older stuff.

Last edited:

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Massive amount of cringe worthy comments being thrown around here with the mention of lap times BTG times and 'drivers cars'.

I am not a fan of golf Rs personally and would rather have a GTi if I had to make the choice. But I don't dispute that they're a good daily, but even in 500brake stage whatever trim that's all they are imo.