MK7 VW GOLF R'S

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
We’ve just got a mk7.5 R estate, so I can’t comment too much about running costs etc, but in terms of must haves/desirable options, I’d want the Pretoria’s, panoramic roof and electric memory seats and that’s it, everything else is great. Note the 7.5 already comes standard with the virtual cockpit, 8” infotainment and Apple CarPlay etc. Also the standard seats in the 7.5 are much much better looking in all black.

I appreciate you don’t think a 7.5 is within budget, but have you considered a lease instead? We leased because it was working out cheaper than buying a young second hand model when I took depreciation etc all into account. Saves ya £140 a year on tax too, possible more if the car’s a few years old.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
I'd third the GTi comments. I'd have one over an R, much more playful IMHO.

Then as the guys say a map would transform it.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I've had a 3dr R (DSG) for a few weeks now and very impressed with it. I don't think the car excels extremely highly in any one area as such, but scores highly enough through all (road-holding, engine, comfort, build quality, etc) to such a degree that it's hard to argue against it as a quick and practical daily unless you really have a personal preference for something else. Would I pick it as a weekend car? Probably not, as I'd be looking something very exciting or raw and the Golf is ultimately a mass produced hatch no matter how capable it is. But as a weekday car which covers all bases in all conditions, it really does everything well.

The standard car has a very well established balance between practicality, power and refinement - but I would imagine with a remap, exhaust and some other mods which wouldn't break the bank, that balance could easily be tipped towards more excitement and thrills if that's what you were seeking.

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
I've had a 3dr R (DSG) for a few weeks now and very impressed with it. I don't think the car excels extremely highly in any one area as such, but scores highly enough through all (road-holding, engine, comfort, build quality, etc) to such a degree that it's hard to argue against it as a quick and practical daily unless you really have a personal preference for something else. Would I pick it as a weekend car? Probably not, as I'd be looking something very exciting or raw and the Golf is ultimately a mass produced hatch no matter how capable it is. But as a weekday car which covers all bases in all conditions, it really does everything well.

The standard car has a very well established balance between practicality, power and refinement - but I would imagine with a remap, exhaust and some other mods which wouldn't break the bank, that balance could easily be tipped towards more excitement and thrills if that's what you were seeking.

this sums up my needs, a quick daily car with all the mod cons and refinement

it would be lightly tuned and exhaust, lowered etc

advertising my own car next week, so the hunt will be on for a 3 door low mile dsg in blue and ideally the leather interior :laughing:

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Its hilarious the hate there is for the R for what i can see absolutely no reason for. It is designed as a fast all rounder and does it superbly well. Is the gti more nibble, yes, that goes without saying but it will also struggle with grip.

I loved mine, it was a truly fantastic car, quick as hell for what it was [an estate dog/family carrier] and poised enough to have some fun on back roads as well as the straights. Its obviously not the track car that everyone expects it to be but more than capable, and nothing that a set of springs / coilovers and a setup couldn't enhance.

I had a jb1 tuning box that took it to around 365bhp but that is just a pinch of what could be done.

The one major downside to them is that i have yet to hear one with an aftermarket exhaust that actually sounds good.

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Its hilarious the hate there is for the R for what i can see absolutely no reason for. It is designed as a fast all rounder and does it superbly well. Is the gti more nibble, yes, that goes without saying but it will also struggle with grip.

I loved mine, it was a truly fantastic car, quick as hell for what it was [an estate dog/family carrier] and poised enough to have some fun on back roads as well as the straights. Its obviously not the track car that everyone expects it to be but more than capable, and nothing that a set of springs / coilovers and a setup couldn't enhance.

I had a jb1 tuning box that took it to around 365bhp but that is just a pinch of what could be done.

The one major downside to them is that i have yet to hear one with an aftermarket exhaust that actually sounds good.

stage 2 tuned they seem to make around 410-420bhp which would be a fantastic going car, awd be good for grip too all year round

from videos online I think a decatted miltek would be the best sound but agree they don't sound great

Shannonsir

RMS Regular
Drives
Camaro SS
Mate of mine got a 2016 Gti few weeks back, it's DSG and have to say it's really playful and great fun. I think whilst stage 1 might be great in straight lines I'm not sure the stock setup would manage nearly 300hp well unless it had the performance pack to make most of coping with traction issues.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack

Agreed, I don't get the hate. My brother has a 3dr Mk7 GTi at moment and it's a great car too. It and the R both do similar things in slightly different ways, and each have their own idiosyncrasies. The GTi is more nimble and lightfooted, probaby a bit easier to insure and run and you can use more of its power on a back road without getting into ridiculous shape. The R has more grip and is quicker overall and probably gives a more usable experience across all conditions because of the 4WD, but has more costs associated with it. I think they both tick boxes that historically the GTi and R32 all ticked anyway, it's just now the engine in the R is closer in structure and form to what the GTi has so some try to compare them as like for like.

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Had a Mk7 R DSG for two years on the stupid cheap lease deal, never bonded with it and was happy to give it back. They are good car, no doubt about it, but there was something about it that i could not warm to. I never once got up in the morning looking forward to driving it.

Again just my opinion, not bashing them at all, it just didn't suit me..

Last edited:

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Had a Mk7 R DSG for two years on the stupid cheap lease deal, never bonded with it and was happy to give it back. They are good car, no doubt about it, but there was something about it that i could not warm to. I never once got up in the morning looking forward to driving it.

Again just my opinion, not bashing them at all, it just didn't suit me..
Exactly how I felt about mine. I love how it looked. It was quick and handled well but i just didn't click with it as much as I did on my F31, S3 or mk5 R32.

As said they are a great all rounder but just found it wasnt for me.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
5 door definitely out? Will be advertising ours in a the next weeks probably.

2015, DSG, 43k, 8 months VW Warranty, discover pro nav, keyless entry/start, rear camera. Brand new Michelin PS4’s about 100miles ago. Will be up at £19k I reckon.

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport

2015, DSG, 43k, 8 months VW Warranty, discover pro nav, keyless entry/start, rear camera. Brand new Michelin PS4’s about 100miles ago. Will be up at £19k I reckon.
I will be looking 3 door blue or grey with around 20-30k max miles as want to take a few years out of it and I like low miles, thanks though

euge07

RMS Regular
OP
euge07
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Would you not go for an S3 instead?
I can't warm to audis, just something about them, I don't dislike them as such, Just couldn't see myself owing one, think the Golf R looks meaner too

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul

Swap you a Touareg ;)