Mobile Speed Vans..

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

AC

RMS Regular
Was coming into Comber the other day and was travelling a little quicker than I should have been. There was a mobile speed van at the side of the road however both back doors were closed. Upon driving past there was no one in the front seat of the van.

My thoughts were that they were either in the back operating the camera or they were away on lunch!

Do these still operate with both doors closed?

Bono872

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
I've never seen them with the doors open?? Theres a hatch on the back of one of the doors or a window which extends open. Never an open door though.... :confounded:

james123

RMS Regular
Door

I've never seen them with the doors open?? Theres a hatch on the back of the one the doors or a window which extends open. Never an open door though.... :confounded:

Seen this myself on an Armoured landrover small hatch on the back door just big enough to allow the camera lense to poke through!!

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
AFAIK they don't operate with both doors closed, at least one has to be open.

I've never seen them with the doors open?? Theres a hatch on the back of one of the doors or a window which extends open. Never an open door though.... :confounded:

Yeah you can get so many different types.

Ones with back doors open, ones where doors are shut, and just the little window/hatchs with cameras inside vans.

If it wa sone with teh hatches, you've probably been snared, but sure no point worrying about it, until it comes in, but do expect it.

So many different types these days
http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=e...camera+vans&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Ohh.. iv never seen one with the hatch, only seen them working with one door open.

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Yeah had a look at the link bud, although up my neck of the woods always seems to be a door open.

Wouldnt be suprised if they do have it working with the doors/hatchs closed

AC

RMS Regular
OP
AC
It was an old style white transit van with the bottom half of the doors marked with a speed camera sign on one of the doors. No sign of a hatch or anything and the back windows were tinted very dark.

I checked with traffic branch for piece of mind and they said that if the doors are closed then the camera is not operational. The door needs to be open for the camera to work. Just for future knowledge for anyone who was as sceptical as I was. I was told if the doors were closed then they were either setting up the equipment or just finishing up.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
It was an old style white transit van with the bottom half of the doors marked with a speed camera sign on one of the doors. No sign of a hatch or anything and the back windows were tinted very dark.

I checked with traffic branch for piece of mind and they said that if the doors are closed then the camera is not operational. The door needs to be open for the camera to work. Just for future knowledge for anyone who was as sceptical as I was. I was told if the doors were closed then they were either setting up the equipment or just finishing up.

Or having a snooze,lol.

I wouldn't just take it as gospel that the vans can't operate without a door open. Maybe that one that you described to them. But there are plenty that operate with door closed.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Dont think Ive ever seen one with a hatch here. They always have at least one rear door open. Although thats for two resons.

One so the camera can see clearly. And the other, probably more important, is that when approaching, there is no clue whatsoever that the illegally parked vehicle is in fact a revenue camera.

And the ****s really are everywhere at the minute. Was one blocking the pavement, half on and off the road on the Loughsore the other day on the 4 lane section. Although some oldish guy was stopped and talking to the operator. Hopefully telling him about his illegal parking and reporting it.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
I've only ever seen the hatch types on the armoured Land Rovers and the open doors one on Transits

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
On the Ballymoney line, just on the ballymena side of Ballymoney, they is always a van sitting. Think it does speed and tax, Not just sure.

But I'm pretty sure it is one with the hatches at the top, no door opened.

It's always sitting there, or well used to always be,lol.

Everytime i was back home, i kept seeing it.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
No, it either does speed OR tax. Tax is a revenue offence, speed is a criminal offence.

Yeah maybe a difference or where the money will be owed, but the van could still check tax, and report that to the DVLA, that the car was on the road without tax.

The new camera coming out does speed, tax, seat belt, mot, will be a fecking nightmare.

The programed i watched on the vans, showing you the set up, showed you the van doing speed and tax, but then that was main land UK. Well the ANPR system picked up teh tax part, and camera done speed, and it was all being recorded.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Yes mainland uk is a different system. No speed detection van will check tax here as it hasn't the facility; ANPR is a different kettle of fish, different machine for a different job.

Corsa Lad

Drives
Corsa C
I got hit 2 weeks ago by a Landrover and can confirm both doors wear lying wide open. First time I seen a speed camera in the back of one of them. ******s.

beeko85

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus ST
never seen the land rovers, but drove past a few pf the vans lately, white one and a blue one a few times. have been speeding past them both at one point, no points as yet though. seems like theyre always sleeping

avo5021

RMS Regular
The Land Rover has a window that opens and can be operated with Both Doors closed, in fact the Land Rover is always operated with doors closed, the Vans however always have at least one door open when detecting..

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
It was an old style white transit van

The Land Rover has a window that opens and can be operated with Both Doors closed, in fact the Land Rover is always operated with doors closed, the Vans however always have at least one door open when detecting..

Ok so in yer mans case as it was a transit, he hasn't been snapped then.

But if its the Land rover, your screwed,lol.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.