mobile welder - newtownabbey area

pablo

RMS Moderator
Hi all - have 2 broken exhaust manifold studs that need to be removed. should have enough meat on them to weld a nut onto and hopefully the heat will allow them to come undone.

I can drill them out but by the time I buy proper drill bits and borrow the jig it might be handier to just get someone to tack 2 nuts on and drill them out if that goes wrong.

mobile would suit better as the manifolds need to be off the car.

Any suggestions? cheers

2022-01-08 16.14.48.jpg

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
i usually put 3 or 4 nuts on them and compress the nuts together

then use a deep socket to get them out

or if your about crumlin next time i am up your more than welcome

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
i usually put 3 or 4 nuts on them and compress the nuts together

then use a deep socket to get them out

or if your about crumlin next time i am up your more than welcome
There is only enough thread for one but unfortunately

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
Could you not run it over to McKay’s Motor Works? They’ve helped me out when I’ve been stuck.
Id have to drive it round then pull the entire exhaust system off. To get access to the snapped bolts.
thank you Sir!
@southsky sunrise looks like this guy, had found him on FB randomly! Good to know someone knows him

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
he’s a friend of a friend sort of thing, haven’t used him personally mate but they rave about him.

Con

RMS Regular
Drives
JDM Honda Del So
Haven't used him personally but have heard good things also....
was going to use him to come out to weld quarter panels on. Seemed decent to chat to and do pan on using him in future myself

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
You getting a Stomski jig?
I need to do the same to the 996 and imagine that there will be drilling involved. Already bought some fancy bits, but just can't drum up the willpower to do it.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
You did pretty well with only 2 broken heads.

What process did you use to get the others out? Did you let them sit with penetrating oil, or use heat on them?

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
took it out and ragged the life out of it to get the engine nice and warm. Im not sure how penetrating fluid can work upwards what with gravity and all so didnt bother.

mckeown

RMS Regular
Drives
mitsi outlander
Would that guy "Glowplug Joe" be worth a call? He has done wonders for me in the past with broken glowplugs?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Can you not just remove the part from the car ? Or is it the head/block or something ?

Do you have good clear access for a drill ?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
DIY a small jig for drilling ? Although studs are a paid in the hole to drill anyway. Good cobalt bit will help

Decent bit of 10mm plate or similar bolted to the head to help align the bit.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
yup alloy head steel bolts. white powder where the bolt meets the head

a trick my wee brother showed me was to rub the bolt nearly flat drill a smaller hole than the bolt size threw the stud

absolutely smash the next size up torex bit in to it with a lump hammer and then heat the alloy around the bolt and then unscrew the broken stud

now admititantly it takes a bit off practice

but if you use halfords advanced torex bits they have to replace them for free lol

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
a trick my wee brother showed me was to rub the bolt nearly flat drill a smaller hole than the bolt size threw the stud

absolutely smash the next size up torex bit in to it with a lump hammer and then heat the alloy around the bolt and then unscrew the broken stud

now admititantly it takes a bit off practice

but if you use halfords advanced torex bits they have to replace them for free lol
Do they not question it I’ve seen the snap on boys get pissy about a screwdriver with arc marks.