Modern Tyres & damage to alloy

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Hi all

Bit of a sad one for me. A few weeks ago, I got the winter alloys for my wife's A class refurbed.

Had a wee bit of time yesterday morning, so took a run down to Modern Tyres in Banbridge, with two of the wheels and two of the tyres (that's all I can fit in the boot lol) to get them put back onto the rims. I told them that I had recently got the wheels done, and they said no probs.

However, when balancing the wheels, the guy doing the work didn't fit the rubber guard to the butterfly type 'clamp' that holds the wheel on the machine. As a result, this happened right the way round the rim. (For some reason I cant upload any more than one pic, but you get the idea). I managed to spot the damage before he did the other wheel, so thankfully only one.

Now, one thing I must say is that the guys were brilliant about it, immediately apologised, and told me to get the wheel redone and bring them the invoice and they'll reimburse me.

Accidents happen, and I always say that it's the true measure of a company how they handle this type of thing. Will see how this pans out.

Cheers

Cooks

Attachments

• 20190831_131722.jpg
    20190831_131722.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 386

e320mark

RMS Regular
Surely they should send the wheel to get fixed so you aren’t out of pocket! This happened to me recently and the company involved sorted everything, at no time was I out of pocket!

scubbay

RMS Regular
Drives
10 second Imprez
Seems very fair. I don't understand the "out of pocket" comment when they have offered to pay the invoice. Assuming you get it repaired at the same place that originally done it then there will be no issues over colour match etc.

e320mark

RMS Regular
Seems very fair. I don't understand the "out of pocket" comment when they have offered to pay the invoice. Assuming you get it repaired at the same place that originally done it then there will be no issues over colour match etc.
It’s quite simple really, why should the cost have to be claimed back?? Modern tyres surely should agree with the owner where the wheel should go and they then should pay the company direct! Meaning the OP isn’t out the money then having to claim it back!

Cookies

RMS Regular
OP
Cookies
Drives
BMW
Thanks guys. I'll have a chat with the manager tomorrow, and I'll happily take the wheel to anywhere they suggest, if that's what they'd rather I do. All subject to getting it matched etc.

I'll let you know how it goes....

Cooks

scubbay

RMS Regular
Drives
10 second Imprez
It’s quite simple really, why should the cost have to be claimed back?? Modern tyres surely should agree with the owner where the wheel should go and they then should pay the company direct! Meaning the OP isn’t out the money then having to claim it back!

Some people cannot be pleased! They have accepted liability and are happy to make restitution to the op. I'm sure, if asked, they would pay the repairer directly judging on how they have handled the situation to date. I suspect petrol money will be your next idea. My goodness.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Thanks guys. I'll have a chat with the manager tomorrow, and I'll happily take the wheel to anywhere they suggest, if that's what they'd rather I do. All subject to getting it matched etc.

I'll let you know how it goes....

Cooks
Your wheel, get it fixed where you’re happy with, not them.

e320mark

RMS Regular
Some people cannot be pleased! They have accepted liability and are happy to make restitution to the op. I'm sure, if asked, they would pay the repairer directly judging on how they have handled the situation to date. I suspect petrol money will be your next idea. My goodness.
You have obviously never been on the receiving end of being promised the money back after you have paid for something! I don’t think there is any need to bring any sarcasm into the posts!!

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
IMO id be getting them to handle the whole repair process, without OP having to first pay it in full.

Worst case scenario is he pays it all, produces invoice to get money back and theres radio silence...

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Wouldn't be entrusting them to handle everything personally. You lose control of the situation. Worst case is the wheel & tyre disappear altogether. Less worse is it comes back with a substandard job done on it or is a mismatch, which has been paid for and you're back to square one but with a bigger argument.

The best option is you handle everything bar the payment.

Audi_TTS

RMS Regular
happened me at MTyres Magherafelt - Damaged the rim on my 20'' Audi rim when he pushed the metal pole in to seperate the tyre from the rim, peeled about an inch of the lacquer off. I seen it when leaving but was in a hurry and swollowed it up. Was a young guy and not the owner who is sound. last 2 tyres ive had done elsewhere.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Less worse is it comes back with a substandard job done on it or is a mismatch, which has been paid for and you're back to square one but with a bigger argument.

Id get it done at the same place that done it originally.

you paying upfront and claiming it back often ends up in delays and excuses, and sometimes the money never gets seen, so I understand the argument.

Cookies

RMS Regular
OP
Cookies
Drives
BMW
Cooks what caused that
Billy
They got a new balancing machine and the metal cone goes on the inside of the hub, the wheel is slid on, and the threaded clamp is then tightened up on the outside of the rim. This bit has a plastic dome that mates to the surface of the wheel. Turns out the young lad didnt fit a rubber protective rim to the plastic hub, so when he tightened it, the plastic dug into the surface of the alloy.

Now, I dont understand why that rubber protective cover would ever really need to be removed. Surely it should be fitted regardless of the type of wheel being balanced.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm happy to pay for the wheel, and be reimbursed by Modern Tyres as it's not a huge amount if money. It means I can take the wheel to my usual guy. If there's any issues with payment, I'm happy to chase them and have a bit of fun lol.

Cheers

Cooks

dross432

RMS Regular
Drives
subaru wrx sti,
The rubber can fall off the cup if it ends up sliced or damaged. Easy to not notice.... doesnt mean its acceptable. Unfortunatly doing tyres is one of those things. You could do 100 wheels a day and 1 wheel gets damaged or a slight mark and thats the one wheel where someome fussy owns it. Sods law. My place do the same thing you foot the bill they give you a cheque. Saves from brass neckers who get damage done to a rough auld wheel say u marked it. U give them money and they just cash it and never worry about the wheel agian. But the main things is they took responsablity about it